Author Topic: Icewm - The Ultimate Configuration  (Read 57693 times)

ZDevil

• View Profile
    • http://
Icewm - The Ultimate Configuration
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2007, 06:34:06 am »
But then again the script you use is very different from the installed script (/usr/bin/icewmsession ) from the icewm-pdaxrom package.
And I really want to know why the icewmsession script doesn't seem to work for 1.2.30.
And I am not sure how your script still keep the things working as in icewmsession.
Thanks!

Life is too precious for hacking *too much*
Visit my Z screencap gallery[/color]
My EeePC 701 Black = Debian (Lenny) on IceRocks + Transcend SDHC Class6 8GB + 2GB RAM
My Zaurus SL-C3200 = Debian EABI (kernel 2.6.24.3-yonggun) on a swapped internal Sandisk Extreme III CF 16gb
My Debian EABI feed: http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/debian/
My OpenBSD/Zaurus feeds:  Link1, Link2
[/i][/font][/color][/size]

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2007, 01:59:25 pm »
I don't know WHY it works, but it does. I figure that if it doesn't break anything, why not use it? It's a simple fix.
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

Jon_J

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2007, 04:42:37 am »
I got icewm running but there is a problem with the "Fn" key.
I cannot get any of the blue chars on the keyboard to work. (I copied them to a text file in openbox, so I could copy/paste them in icewm)
Also the "Fn" key doesn't work for right-click in ROX or Leafpad, (I had to plug in a mouse to get right click working)

Also I haven't had any luck getting any of the mb-applets on the taskbar. I did load icewmtray first before the mb-applets in my .xinitrc
I'm using the blueCrux theme with my own "background.jpg"
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2007, 11:50:09 am »
I got icewm running but there is a problem with the "Fn" key.
I cannot get any of the blue chars on the keyboard to work. (I copied them to a text file in openbox, so I could copy/paste them in icewm)
Also the "Fn" key doesn't work for right-click in ROX or Leafpad, (I had to plug in a mouse to get right click working)

Also I haven't had any luck getting any of the mb-applets on the taskbar. I did load icewmtray first before the mb-applets in my .xinitrc
I'm using the blueCrux theme with my own "background.jpg"
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158158\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Have you tried using xev to see if fn+tap is actually right clicking? I had to edit inputconfig.py to get it to work with Fluxbox (It's probably been fixed in pdaxii13, but you never know). I believe it should show up as mouse button 2.

Jon_J

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2007, 12:58:51 pm »
I have right click on the desktop when using  Fn+tap
It brings up the start menu. It doesn't seem to work inside applications or the console though. (missing blue keys).
I'm not sure how to use xev. I tried it, but don't understand how it works.
I'm getting over my head here by just using icewm, but I do like the speed.
Applications seem to launch faster, but once open, the huge applications still seem to take as much time to completely load.
Inkscape opens quicker, but it still seems to take a long time to display the toolbars and respond to clicks. Inkscape seems to respond just a little quicker.
Fn + tap gives an odd behavior in apps such as inkscape and leafpad.
Instead of a right click, I get a "window resize" cursor.
In leafpad 0.8.9, "right click" in the file>open dialog is supposed to give you the option to view hidden files, but instead, it gives you a vertical window resize arrow, which resizes the file>open dialog box.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 01:09:12 pm by Jon_J »

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2007, 01:12:49 pm »
I have right click on the desktop when using  Fn+tap
It brings up the start menu. It doesn't seem to work inside applications or the console though. (missing blue keys).
I'm not sure how to use xev. I tried it, but don't understand how it works.
I'm getting over my head here by just using icewm, but I do like the speed.
Applications seem to launch faster, but once open, the huge applications still seem to take as much time to completely load.
Inkscape opens quicker, but it still seems to take a long time to display the toolbars and respond to clicks. Inkscape seems to respond just a little quicker.
Fn + tap gives an odd behavior in apps such as inkscape and leafpad.
Instead of a right click, I get a "window resize" cursor.
In leafpad 0.8.9, "right click" in the file open dialog is supposed to give you the option to view hidden files, but instead, it gives you a vertical window resize arrow, which resizes the file>open dialog box.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158183\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
If you want speed, try JWM. It launches faster than my desktop background. The downside is that you have to manually put your apps in the menu, but it is insanely easy to do. It's in the New packages thread.

To use XEV, open a terminal and type xev. You should get a white window. Use fn+click in that window, then close it and look at the terminal. You should see some output. Towards the bottom, there should be something with click and button * where * is a number. That is the mouse button that is getting passed to X.

Hope that helps.

Jon_J

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2007, 01:23:39 pm »
Thanks, I have to manually put my apps in icewm.
xev outputs a lot of numbers, but nothing about click or button is shown,
I cannot paste the output here, copy/paste doesn't work from terminal to leafpad. (It does in openbox)
I got it to paste from bash history in openbox
Code: [Select]
KeyRelease event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0xc00001,
    root 0x33, subw 0xc00002, time 3418465504, (47,37), root:(53,309),
    state 0x8, keycode 38 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
LeaveNotify event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0xc00001,
    root 0x33, subw 0xc00002, time 3418468153, (167,-13), root:(173,259),
    mode NotifyNormal, detail NotifyNonlinearVirtual, same_screen YES,
    focus YES, state 0
VisibilityNotify event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0xc00001,
    state VisibilityPartiallyObscured
FocusOut event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0xc00001,
    mode NotifyNormal, detail NotifyNonlinear
VisibilityNotify event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0xc00001,
    state VisibilityUnobscured
Expose event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0xc00001,
    (145,0), width 32, height 29, count 0
FocusIn event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0xc00001,
    mode NotifyNormal, detail NotifyNonlinear
KeymapNotify event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  2   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
           0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Does anyone else use icewm? It doesn't seem like a lot of people post about it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 01:37:51 pm by Jon_J »

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2007, 01:44:03 pm »
Did you click in the black box? forgot to mention that that may be important.

I used to use IceWM, but switched to Fluxbox. I think people don't really post about it because it usually just works.

Jon_J

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2007, 03:30:43 pm »
Yes, I clicked inside the box with a black outline.
Doing some searching, I found these really nice IceWM configuration tools attached to this post:
https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...=18283&hl=icewm

Key editor
Menu\toolbar editor
WinOptions editor

EDIT
I still cannot get the Fn key to work, or the menu key as suggested in an earlier post in this thread.
I tried the key configuration tool, but I don't understand it, and using xev in a console doesn't help me either.
Does anyone else have problems with the "Fn" key when using the stylus to get right-click?
It works on the desktop only if I have not launched anything, but after using apps or programs, the Fn+tap no longer works on the desktop.
I really need this to use the blue chars on the keyboard and to view hidden files in leafpad.
I can plug in a mouse and right-click works with the moust but not Fn+tap
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 01:37:02 am by Jon_J »

radiochickenwax

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2007, 04:22:37 pm »
Doing some searching, I found these really nice IceWM configuration tools attached to this post:

Key editor
Menu\toolbar editor
WinOptions editor

EDIT
I still cannot get the Fn key to work, or the menu key as suggested in an earlier post in this thread.
I tried the key configuration tool, but I don't understand it, and using xev in a console doesn't help me either.
Does anyone else have problems with the "Fn" key when using the stylus to get right-click?
It works on the desktop only if I have not launched anything, but after using apps or programs, the Fn+tap no longer works on the desktop.
I really need this to use the blue chars on the keyboard and to view hidden files in leafpad.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158200\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Sorry if I'm way off base here, but IceWM might be loading the wrong X-keymap on startup.  Do you know which keymap you're trying to load? I can't remember how pdaxii13 did this.

The x-keymaps have been changed somewhat drastically in the 2.6 series.  (a little more logical), but the loading process is still the same.  

Another option: (again I hope I'm not adding useless info here)
 since "inputconfig.py" still works in pdaxii13, (you're using pdaxii13 right?) just run that from a terminal inside of IceWM, to refresh the right-click and middle-click options?
ZAURII:    sl-6000 : (temporarily) bricked pdaxrom b1   ||   sl-c3200 : yonggun/Debian-EABI
OTHERS:  htc-excalibur,  axim x5,  ipaq 4355, (still trying to find useable linux setups)
thinking about gumstix to replace/augment zaurus

Jon_J

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2007, 05:47:27 pm »

Key editor
Menu\toolbar editor
WinOptions editor

EDIT
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158200\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Sorry if I'm way off base here, but IceWM might be loading the wrong X-keymap on startup.  Do you know which keymap you're trying to load? I can't remember how pdaxii13 did this.

The x-keymaps have been changed somewhat drastically in the 2.6 series.  (a little more logical), but the loading process is still the same.  

Another option: (again I hope I'm not adding useless info here)
 since "inputconfig.py" still works in pdaxii13, (you're using pdaxii13 right?) just run that from a terminal inside of IceWM, to refresh the right-click and middle-click options?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158277\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
The keymap that is loading in my icewm .xinitrc is /etc/X11/kb/Akita/xmodmap_us
I have 2 .xinitrc files with 2 different names in /home/root (one is a symlink to /usr/bin/mbsession) and the other one is an actual file (.xinitrc-ice)
I start icewm with "startice" and I start pdaxii13 with "startx"
I'm not really sure if this is exactly the same xmodmap that pdaxii13 is loading.
I have to do some digging. It seems there may be 2 different locations for xmodmap
I'll update this post if I find more than one location for xmodmap, and if they are actually different.
This is a good point, because meanie's "Super" key doesn't do anything in icewm.
meanie's "Super" key is the right hand Japanese key.
I did launch inputconfig.py, it has the Fn key + tap, set to right click.
This doesn't explain why I cannot use any of the blue keys on the zaurus keyboard. inputconfig.py has no settings for this.

EDIT:
I may have found my keymapping problem.
I have been using Capn_Fish's .xinitrc files posted here.
Using pdaxii13 and icewm, the path and filename for the keymap seem to be wrong in that file. It is
/etc/X11/kb/Akita/xmodmap_us
but if I look in a filemanager, the path and filenames are wrong. It should be
/etc/X11/kb/akita.xmodmap_us

I'm going to make this change and restart icewm. I hope this works.

Last EDIT:
Yeah!!  that was the problem  Right click works in all applications.
The BLUE keys are working now.  
the path/filename was wrong to the keymap in Capn_Fish's .xinitrc for icewm and pdaxii13
it needs to be: /etc/X11/kb/akita.xmodmap_us

Just one more EDIT:
The tip on using the Zaurus "Menu" key now works!
This is the first post on page 2 of this thread.
My keymapping probs seem to have caused my "prefrences" file editing problems, (which I previously posted about).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 07:08:56 pm by Jon_J »

Jon_J

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2007, 12:34:43 am »
I used to use IceWM, but switched to Fluxbox. I think people don't really post about it because it usually just works.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158188\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Is there a step by step howto for newbies for icewm for Zaurus somewhere?
Something that explains the prefrences file in more plain english, and that works in pdaxrom on the Zaurus.

I have read the manual, and FAQ on the official website, but these instructions are for desktop PCs. There is no Zaurus related instructions in these pages.
A lot of tips here on this forum are for icewm-pdaxrom, which has different settings than the newest icewm release.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 12:40:29 am by Jon_J »

Jon_J

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2007, 04:35:20 am »
I've been searching all night for icepref or icepref2, or iceconf that works on my Zaurus.
All the packages I found need compiled, except this one I found.
It is a *.deb package, (icepref_1.1-17_all.deb) so I used meanie's "deb2ipk" tool to convert it to an *.ipk (icepref_1.1-17_all.ipk)
When I ran it on my pdaxii13 Zaurus with icewm, I get the following error in the console.
Code: [Select]
root-:) icepref
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/icepref", line 22, in ?
    import pygtk
  File "/home/sash/Work/Akita/akita-rom/build/pygtk-2.5.3/ipkg_tmp/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pygtk.py", line 22, in ?
ImportError: No module named fnmatch
root-:)
I don't have a clue where that directory is located??
/home/sash/Work/Akita/akita-rom/build/pygtk-2.5.3/ipkg_tmp/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pygtk.py
Can this be made to work? I have read posts about someone using iceconf, but cannot find an IPK for it anywhere.
Here's the deb file and the ipk file, if someone wants to try it and see what the errors are about.
I had to zip the *.deb file to attach it
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 04:38:48 am by Jon_J »

zi99y

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2007, 04:47:34 am »
The official documentation should do you fine, I don't know of such a zaurus - specific help page except this one! Post what it is you want to do and we'll try and help.

Regarding your keymapping issues, you need to learn how to use xmodmap properly and you can edit your file yourself. Use the command 'xev' to find a keycode and xmodmap to map it to a key function - there are many threads on this.

The icewm preferences file is very well commented telling you what each option does - you need to have a play around and find what settings best suit you, it takes a while but once you get used to it, it's a walk in the park!

Jon_J

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2007, 11:49:30 am »
The official documentation should do you fine, I don't know of such a zaurus - specific help page except this one! Post what it is you want to do and we'll try and help.
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
How can I get these programs on the below page running in icewm?
IcePref2 and IceWM Control Panel
[a href=\"http://www.phrozensmoke.com/projects/icewmcp/]http://www.phrozensmoke.com/projects/icewmcp/[/url]

EDIT: to view images in firefox, right click and save link as, save link as index.png and index2.png
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 12:00:44 pm by Jon_J »