Author Topic: Symbol La-4137  (Read 5251 times)

bkudria

• View Profile
Symbol La-4137
« on: October 30, 2006, 07:44:51 pm »
Hi,

I'm running 1.23 on a 3100, and I cannot get my Symbol LA-4137 card working.  If i plug it in, the text appears and tells me it was inserted, but then, nothing.  The lights don't blink, iwconfig doesn't list it, and the networking app's connect button is grayed out.  What should I do?

Hrw

• View Profile
Symbol La-4137
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 06:42:24 am »
Install orinoco_cs drivers
OpenZaurus 3.5.4x Release Manager
OpenEmbedded, Ångström, Poky developer
My website

Misc embedded hardware.

HoloVector

• View Profile
    • http://
Symbol La-4137
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 07:17:14 am »
Huh!?

I've been running Cacko 1.23 with my Symbol card just fine.  It was a plug and play experience.  Are running Cacko Lite orFull?  If it is Lite then Hrw has your answer.
I think I'm coming down with what kahm's got!  I now have 3 Zaurii in house!  ;)
Current: Zaurus SL-C3200 -  Bobby (Configuring pdaXii13 Akita with Full 5.4.9 upgrade running IceWM)
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Hachiko (Configuring Cacko 1.23 with evilJazz's new kernel)
Zaurus SL-C860 - Fett (Customized Cacko 1.23 with handmade Boba Fett Theme)
Symbol WiFi CF card|Buffalo WiFi CF Card|Buffalo Ethernet CF Card|Red Piel Frama Case|PDAir Case|Black Pelican 1020 Case|Pentopia Stylii|SaruTek Protectors|Transcend SDs (4GB 150X, 1GB 80X, 256MB 45X, 128MB 45X)|2GB PNY SD|2GB SanDisk SD|Transcend CFs (1GB 80X, 512MB 80X)|Sandisk CFs (4GB, 512MB, 256MB)|256MB Netac USB-CF|RH-1 Remote
Check out the ScummVM@tyrannozaurus page if you are an "adventurer" type of person.

bkudria

• View Profile
Symbol La-4137
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 12:01:07 pm »
Hrw:  I don't see that in the feeds, which ipk should I be installing?

HoloVector:  I installed the Full version, and unfortunately, it is not plug and play.

Any help appreciated!

HoloVector

• View Profile
Symbol La-4137
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 01:20:44 pm »
Hrw:  I don't see that in the feeds, which ipk should I be installing?

HoloVector:  I installed the Full version, and unfortunately, it is not plug and play.

Any help appreciated!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145225\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Sorry I read your first post and looks like it just needs a profile connection configuration (which is never plug and play in Cacko).  Since you have Cacko Full the card itself is plug and play.  That means the card will be properly detected as a LA4100 Spectrum24 CF WLAN Card under the little computer icon by the clock.

In order for it to work you will need some information about the access point that you want to connect to.  Here is what you will need at the minimum.

Access point name (ESS-ID)
WEP key level (Disabled, 40bit, 104bit)
WEP key (in Hex or Plain Text)
WEP Authentication type (shared key, open system)
WPA level (I can't help you here because the access points I use are not WPA enabled)

Now you will need to go under the settings tab and Network control panel.  

Make sure the Wireless LAN Card is selected from the drop down box and hit the Add button.  
Give the Account a name (usually choose the access point's name) and tap the Config tab.  Uncheck the Non-Spec ESS-ID: ANY and put in your Access Point's name.  You can try the any but, might not work since most access points these days have at leaset WEP turned on.  

If WEP is enabled on your Access Point tap the WEP tab choose your key level type and then enter the key assigned by your access point and set WEP authentication type.  

If your access point is connected a DSL modem you may need to fill out some info under the PPPoE tab.

If your access point is WPA enabled you will to use the WPA suplicant client in the Konsole in order to complete the connection.  I've never had to do this so I am uncertain what you might need to do here.

Usually at that point I click OK and a plug icon appears near the clock.  Tap the Plug icon and your profile should appear on the Connection screen.  Either highlight it and tap connect or do nothing and it will attempt to connect in 5 seconds.

Once you see the plug icon turn into a blue card with blue arcs on top of it you are connected to your access point and can start up Netfront or Opera for some browsing goodness.  
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 01:26:53 pm by HoloVector »
I think I'm coming down with what kahm's got!  I now have 3 Zaurii in house!  ;)
Current: Zaurus SL-C3200 -  Bobby (Configuring pdaXii13 Akita with Full 5.4.9 upgrade running IceWM)
Symbol WiFi CF card|Buffalo WiFi CF Card|Buffalo Ethernet CF Card|Red Piel Frama Case|PDAir Case|Black Pelican 1020 Case|Pentopia Stylii|SaruTek Protectors|Transcend SDs (4GB 150X, 1GB 80X, 256MB 45X, 128MB 45X)|2GB PNY SD|2GB SanDisk SD|Transcend CFs (1GB 80X, 512MB 80X)|Sandisk CFs (4GB, 512MB, 256MB)|256MB Netac USB-CF|RH-1 Remote
Check out the ScummVM@tyrannozaurus page if you are an "adventurer" type of person.

Hrw

• View Profile
Symbol La-4137
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 01:57:03 pm »
Hrw:  I don't see that in the feeds, which ipk should I be installing?

I never used SharpROM with wifi card, never supported this 'distro' or its clones. And this will never change.
OpenZaurus 3.5.4x Release Manager
OpenEmbedded, Ångström, Poky developer
My website

Misc embedded hardware.

InSearchOf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Symbol La-4137
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 02:51:34 pm »
I think you might need to load the orinoco_cs modules... because I know that there was a Symbol 4100 cf... and the chipset between the 2 are a little different... but I'm just shootin the sh** because like hrw... I've never used Sharp rom... and prolly never will...

Late
Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100 and SL-6000L
pdaXrom Developer
Please visit pdaXrom.org for updates
My Blog
IRC #pdaxrom @ FreeNode

HoloVector

• View Profile
Symbol La-4137
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 02:55:57 pm »
Thanks InSearchOf but my Symbol card is also a 4137 and Cacko still picks it up as a 4100.

bkudria

• View Profile
Symbol La-4137
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 03:57:24 pm »
Ok, thanks for all the replies.

HoloVector: It *is* recognized, as a LA4100 Spectrum24 CF WLAN Card, but the icon next to it in the popup menu is the yellow triangle Attention! icon.  I assume that's bad.  I can add a profile, but no plgu appears, and the connect button remains grayed out.

I think I do need to load the orinoco_cs module, but attempting to do so gives me an error:
/lib/modules/.rom/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_cs.o: unresolved symbol hermes_struct_init

I insmodded the hermes module, and then tried orinoco_cs, and that worked, but doesn't seem to have much affect.  Nothing still works.

Hrw:  The only reason I'm using Cacko/Sharp is because my mixers work.

HoloVector

• View Profile
Symbol La-4137
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 01:43:10 am »
Ok, thanks for all the replies.

HoloVector: It *is* recognized, as a LA4100 Spectrum24 CF WLAN Card, but the icon next to it in the popup menu is the yellow triangle Attention! icon.  I assume that's bad.  I can add a profile, but no plgu appears, and the connect button remains grayed out.

I think I do need to load the orinoco_cs module, but attempting to do so gives me an error:
/lib/modules/.rom/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_cs.o: unresolved symbol hermes_struct_init

I insmodded the hermes module, and then tried orinoco_cs, and that worked, but doesn't seem to have much affect.  Nothing still works.

Hrw:  The only reason I'm using Cacko/Sharp is because my mixers work.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145259\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Yup, a yellow triangle is not good.  Can you check under /etc/hotplug/firmware and tell me what you have?  I have two symbol files called symbol_sp24t_prim_fw (it is 5K in size) and symbol_sp24t_sec_fw (70K in size).  

Then can you check /etc/pcmcia/spectrum.conf.  Does it look exactly like this?
Code: [Select]
device "spectrum_cs"
#class "network" module "hermes", "orinoco", "spectrum_cs"
class "spectrum" module "hermes", "orinoco", "spectrum_cs"

card "LA4100 Spectrum24 CF WLAN Card"
    manfid 0x026c, 0x0001
    bind "spectrum_cs"

card "Socket Communications CF+ LP WLAN Card"
    manfid 0x0104, 0x0001
    bind "spectrum_cs"

card "Intel PRO/Wireless 2011B CF Card"
    manfid 0x0089, 0x0001
    bind "spectrum_cs"

Let me know what you find.

bkudria

• View Profile
Symbol La-4137
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 09:39:47 pm »
Yep, everything on my Z is exactly like that (the first file is more like 4.5k, though).  The files are there, and /etc/pcmcia/spectrum.conf looks exactly like what you posted.

I also did a bit more testing.  I have another wireless card, a D-Link Air DCF-660W, and it acts the same exact way: recognized, but doesn't work, with a yellow triangle.

However, running 'cardctl ident' with the D-Link works as expected, but running 'cardctl ident' with the symbol card makes the screen fade to white with a single black line.  At this point, yanking the card returns my z to normal, with the output of the command showing "no product info available" for Socket 0, the socket on the side.

Both cards work perfectly correctly on OZ/anything.  The D-Link card did work with the plain vanilla Sharp ROM; I didn't own the Symbol one at the time.

I hope all this info helps, and eagerly await your next attempt to fix things.

Thanks!

bkudria

• View Profile
Symbol La-4137
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 11:20:41 pm »
*bump*