Author Topic: Found: Picsel Browser For Zaurus  (Read 10776 times)

HoloVector

• View Profile
    • http://
Found: Picsel Browser For Zaurus
« on: January 05, 2007, 04:59:09 pm »
I finally acquired a copy from an Auction Broker in Japan.  Thanks Azuma and Aya.  Leaving the rest of the thread untouched due to the technical discussion below.

If so, PM me and maybe we can maybe work something out.  As I mentioned above I would prefer the 512MB SD 1.1.2 version if possible but, would consider the 256MB SD version if I didn't have a choice.  

I am located in Canada.

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 04:10:24 pm by HoloVector »
I think I'm coming down with what kahm's got!  I now have 3 Zaurii in house!  ;)
Current: Zaurus SL-C3200 -  Bobby (Configuring pdaXii13 Akita with Full 5.4.9 upgrade running IceWM)
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Hachiko (Configuring Cacko 1.23 with evilJazz's new kernel)
Zaurus SL-C860 - Fett (Customized Cacko 1.23 with handmade Boba Fett Theme)
Symbol WiFi CF card|Buffalo WiFi CF Card|Buffalo Ethernet CF Card|Red Piel Frama Case|PDAir Case|Black Pelican 1020 Case|Pentopia Stylii|SaruTek Protectors|Transcend SDs (4GB 150X, 1GB 80X, 256MB 45X, 128MB 45X)|2GB PNY SD|2GB SanDisk SD|Transcend CFs (1GB 80X, 512MB 80X)|Sandisk CFs (4GB, 512MB, 256MB)|256MB Netac USB-CF|RH-1 Remote
Check out the ScummVM@tyrannozaurus page if you are an "adventurer" type of person.

HoloVector

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 11:25:24 pm »
Got a working copy of the Picsel Browser for Zaurus SD that's sitting in a drawer gathering dust? 

If so, PM me and maybe we can maybe work something out.  As I mentioned above I would prefer the 512MB SD 1.1.2 version if possible but, would consider the 256MB SD version if I didn't have a choice. 

I am located in Canada.

Thanks for reading.
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Wow!  42 views and no offers.    Here is my [a href=\"http://myworld.ebay.com/savage168/]eBay profile[/url].  As you can see I have been on eBay for over 7 years and I have a 100% positive feedback.

I am willing to offer $120US for a working Picsel Browser for Zaurus 512MB version 1.1.2 card or $100US for a working Picsel Browser for Zaurus 256MB version 1.1.2 card or $80US for a working Picsel Browser for Zaurus 256MB with any previous version.  Payment would be via PayPal.  

So how about it?  Anybody interested in the deal?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 11:26:17 pm by HoloVector »
I think I'm coming down with what kahm's got!  I now have 3 Zaurii in house!  ;)
Current: Zaurus SL-C3200 -  Bobby (Configuring pdaXii13 Akita with Full 5.4.9 upgrade running IceWM)
Symbol WiFi CF card|Buffalo WiFi CF Card|Buffalo Ethernet CF Card|Red Piel Frama Case|PDAir Case|Black Pelican 1020 Case|Pentopia Stylii|SaruTek Protectors|Transcend SDs (4GB 150X, 1GB 80X, 256MB 45X, 128MB 45X)|2GB PNY SD|2GB SanDisk SD|Transcend CFs (1GB 80X, 512MB 80X)|Sandisk CFs (4GB, 512MB, 256MB)|256MB Netac USB-CF|RH-1 Remote
Check out the ScummVM@tyrannozaurus page if you are an "adventurer" type of person.

Jon_J

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 02:47:34 am »
I'm not trying to get your hopes up, but I paid a lot more for picsel browser.
Since it's now discontinued, maybe someone will figure out how to separate it from it's SD card.
I'm NOT wanting to benefit from it's separation from it's SD card, but would love to use it without the SD card inserted.
That way I could use my SD card slot for a 4GB card.
I really hope you do find someone that's wanting to sell you their SD copy.
EDIT:
BTW, upgrading to 1.1.2 should be free, it was available on the web for a long time for free, (the upgrade, that is).
If you do manage to purchase a copy of Picsel Browser SD card from someone, just send me a pvt message, and I'll send you the 1.1.2 upgrade.
EDIT2:
I also don't write any files to this 512MB Picsel Browser card for fear I may wear out the SD card, and lose my "investment" in it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 10:38:52 am by Jon_J »
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers

HoloVector

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 11:50:37 pm »
Quote from: HoloVector
Got a working copy of the Picsel Browser for Zaurus SD that's sitting in a drawer gathering dust?  

If so, PM me and maybe we can maybe work something out.  As I mentioned above I would prefer the 512MB SD 1.1.2 version if possible but, would consider the 256MB SD version if I didn't have a choice.  

I am located in Canada.

Thanks for reading.
Bumping this back up to the top because I am still looking for one of these.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 04:48:27 pm »
Quote from: Jon_J
Since it's now discontinued, maybe someone will figure out how to separate it from it's SD card.

I tried to create a chroot environment in which to run it and spoof the /proc and /sys entries to make it think that it was running with a valid card, but there was something else happening. When I ran it using strace or dbg it behaved totally differently, so I suspected it had anti-debug code in it somehow. I guess if I were really skilled I'd use the zaurus hardware emulator so picsel couldn't tell it was being debugged, and find out what it was doing to detect the card.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 08:25:52 pm »
Couldn't you use dd to copy the picsel card to a new one (strictly for not wearing out the card)?
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

HoloVector

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 09:53:04 pm »
Quote from: Capn_Fish
Couldn't you use dd to copy the picsel card to a new one (strictly for not wearing out the card)?
Panasonic was the one who put Picsel Browser on the SD card in the first place.  The chances that undocumented tricks were used keep it wedded to the card are super high since Panasonic is one of the co-creators of the SD tech.  

Here's the press release from Picsel that gives you some background:
http://www.picsel.com/index.php/mediacentre/casestudy/74/

pelrun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 12:08:22 am »
The chances that undocumented tricks were used keep it wedded to the card are super high since Panasonic is one of the co-creators of the SD tech.

Any such shenanigans would have to directly access the PXA270 sd controller (which is nicely documented and limited to a few memory-mapped registers) so they'd stick out like a sore thumb...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 12:08:56 am by pelrun »
SL-C3100 with usb power mod running debian eabi
pdaXii13 still on the NAND for dualbooting
16GB SDHC! (a new one, after I sat on the old one and it went kaput)
D-Link 660 wifi, Socket Bluetooth rev H
External 9800mAh LiIon battery and slimline dvd drive
Homebrew microphone and remote

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 03:03:55 am »
Quote from: pelrun
The chances that undocumented tricks were used keep it wedded to the card are super high since Panasonic is one of the co-creators of the SD tech.

Any such shenanigans would have to directly access the PXA270 sd controller (which is nicely documented and limited to a few memory-mapped registers) so they'd stick out like a sore thumb...

background: I do not have a copy of picsel... but I do want one. I had a copy of someone else's purely for experimentation. various people offered checksums of their files and copies of "register" files from their Z.

I did all this some time ago so my memory may be wrong.

when I compared cksums of the binaries, they were the same for the same versions.

when I used strace, I found that it accessed the various bits of /proc and /sys which allowed it to read the card identifiers, which of course aren't in the card's file system. I created a chroot environment and made my own versions of those files using information given by owners. it still didn't work - picsel ran and I got a pop-up box telling me to insert a valid card. If I ran under strace, it never got that far, I think it segfaulted and either gdb was too slow or likewise it never got that far, just segfaults.

If I get cacko dual-booted again, I'd like to have another go... I'm still learning new tricks about linux so might have more success!
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

pelrun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 07:01:44 am »
Whereas I'd objdump it, find the "insert valid card" message and work backwards to find where it was triggered. Then nop that bit out.
SL-C3100 with usb power mod running debian eabi
pdaXii13 still on the NAND for dualbooting
16GB SDHC! (a new one, after I sat on the old one and it went kaput)
D-Link 660 wifi, Socket Bluetooth rev H
External 9800mAh LiIon battery and slimline dvd drive
Homebrew microphone and remote

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 08:34:53 am »
Whereas I'd objdump it, find the "insert valid card" message and work backwards to find where it was triggered. Then nop that bit out.

I imagine, if picsel have any clue, the card check will be scattered through the code in different ways to prevent it being easy.

Has anyone ever actually come across an application which makes use of the "secure" in "secure digital card", using DRM to prevent file/music copying?

HoloVector

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 10:49:24 am »
Quote from: speculatrix

I imagine, if picsel have any clue, the card check will be scattered through the code in different ways to prevent it being easy.

Has anyone ever actually come across an application which makes use of the "secure" in "secure digital card", using DRM to prevent file/music copying?
My hunch is that is exactly what we are looking at in this situation.  I think Picsel Browser is looking for information stored in the Protected Region of the SD Card.

Read this from the SD Card association itself (Section 4 is what you need to read)  http://www.sdcard.org/about/memory_card/

Just look at the facts we know.  
1) The Picsel case study says Panasonic were the ones who created the Picsel embedded SD cards for the Zaurus.
2) Panasonic is a co-creator of the SD Card standard.  
3) The DRM technology in SD cards is licensed to the SD Card Association by 4C.  
4) 4C is the DRM licensing company of multiple companies including Panasonic.
5) The DRM technology on SD Cards uses a Protected Region with a key stored in it.  If the key can't be decrypted or found then playback is not allowed.  

Based on these facts it would not be a stretch for Panasonic to extend the playback DRM to binary execution.  It looks to me like the Picsel binary is looking for the encypted key in the Protected Region of the SD.  If it can't find it, it won't allow the program to run.  So the only way to make a backup copy of a Picsel SD card would be to decrypt the Protected Region on the original card.  Pull out the key and place it into the Protected Region of another SD card.  

What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 04:32:50 pm by HoloVector »

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 12:52:22 pm »
Based on these facts it would not be a stretch for Panasonic to extend the playback DRM to binary execution.  I looks to me like the Picsel binary is looking for

we would have to hope picsel & panasonic have been very lazy and implemented security poorly if they have done that, it would require a major feat of reverse engineering to extract working code from a running system to get at any decrypted data and code.

HoloVector

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 04:37:16 pm »
Quote from: speculatrix
Based on these facts it would not be a stretch for Panasonic to extend the playback DRM to binary execution.  I looks to me like the Picsel binary is looking for

we would have to hope picsel & panasonic have been very lazy and implemented security poorly if they have done that, it would require a major feat of reverse engineering to extract working code from a running system to get at any decrypted data and code.
Agreed however since this excercise seems to have been a proof of concept for Panasonic, I highly doubt it was lazily or poorly implemented.  I hope someone proves me wrong.  

Now, who wants to sell a copy of Picsel Browser to me?  

HoloVector

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 12:14:40 am »
*BUMP*

I'm still looking for one of these.