Author Topic: Development For Sl-c1000  (Read 6979 times)

besta

• View Profile
Development For Sl-c1000
« on: January 15, 2007, 01:04:55 am »
Hallo,

i'm using a toolchain for years for development for the zaurus SL-5500G on Linux. No problems. Now i would like to develop for my new SL_C1000. How can I use the new screen resolution of 480x640 px and the landscape format. Do I need new libs or can I change parameters?

Bernd

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
Development For Sl-c1000
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 01:19:27 am »
Hallo,

i'm using a toolchain for years for development for the zaurus SL-5500G on Linux. No problems. Now i would like to develop for my new SL_C1000. How can I use the new screen resolution of 480x640 px and the landscape format. Do I need new libs or can I change parameters?

Bernd
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151216\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

it should be exactly the same. you should not be hardcoding the height and width normally. usually a getWidth() and getHeight() should give you the correct screen size and you write your code in such a way that it doesn't matter what size the screen is and the widgets are rendered dynamically according to the actual size of the screen at run time.

This said, there are exceptions of course. When coding dialogs, the default dialog often is larger than the Z's screen so you will need to resize the dialog box when running on the Z. This usually should be done in such a way that code checks the default width and height and if it is a PDA sized screen, then resize the dialog to make it fit on the screen, otherwise leave it alone. this way, your app can be compiled on any platform with any size screen, or when you export your display to a X server with a higher resolution and bigger monitor, then the same code can handle it without needing a rewrite.
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

besta

• View Profile
Development For Sl-c1000
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 06:24:29 am »
[
it should be exactly the same. you should not be hardcoding the height and width normally. usually a getWidth() and getHeight() should give you the correct screen size and you write your code in such a way that it doesn't matter what size the screen is and the widgets are rendered dynamically according to the actual size of the screen at run time.

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151218\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

It seems not to be so easy. I've never hardcoded the screen size in my application, nevertheless the screen is rotated by 90° when I invoke the program on the SL-C1000. It is not adjusted dynamically to the newer screen parameters instead it is shown in landscape mode. I think the new parameters must be explicitly set by hand, is this right? But where? What is the class where to set this values?

Bernd

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
Development For Sl-c1000
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 05:34:14 pm »
[

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151218\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

It seems not to be so easy. I've never hardcoded the screen size in my application, nevertheless the screen is rotated by 90° when I invoke the program on the SL-C1000. It is not adjusted dynamically to the newer screen parameters instead it is shown in landscape mode. I think the new parameters must be explicitly set by hand, is this right? But where? What is the class where to set this values?

Bernd
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151229\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

If you are using OPIE, which I personally think is a waste of time, then all you need to do is in your .desktop file is, add Display = 640x480/144dpi,480x640/144dpi
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

ofels

• View Profile
    • http://
Development For Sl-c1000
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 05:57:35 am »
If you are using OPIE, which I personally think is a waste of time ...

It would have been sufficient to just answer the question instead of freeing your  beast of bashing    

Oliver