Author Topic: Odd Sd-mmc Behavior  (Read 6461 times)

etrigan

• View Profile
Odd Sd-mmc Behavior
« on: February 12, 2007, 08:43:32 am »
hmmm... 2 posts within 12 hrs. not my usual... : )

after having installed the 0.8.2 pdaxQtrom (base, apps, zgcc, java, open office) i've been experiencing some odd behavior of my 4Gb SD card.  notably, it is inconsistently mounted, and after going to 'sleep' or closing the clamshell on my 3100, it is no longer recognized by the system -- almost as if it were 'unmounted'.

if i uninstall the sdmmc-module-2.4.20; this behavior does not occur with a 16, 32 or 512Mb SD card. when i reinstall the module -- the behavior occurs with all 3 cards (and the 4gb card...)

any thoughts on  how i might troubleshoot this?

(btw -- if i haven't said this before; thanks so much for all the folks who put in the hard work and time on making the zaurus such a GREAT tool.  my only wish would be for internal wireless... but, having said that, imho, its a nearly perfect device and the community is a pleasure!)
http://gfb.cas.psu.edu
zaurus sl-c3100

etrigan

• View Profile
Odd Sd-mmc Behavior
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 12:52:59 pm »
more...

i think i may have identified a part of the problem.  i have several copies of /etc/sdcard/sd_mem_ctrl of several different sizes and dates.  the older file was 4110bytes while the newer file was 4240bytes.

the dates correspond to the days that i uninstalled/reinstalled the updated sd_mmc*.ipk.  when i renamed the oldest sd_mem_ctrl.bak file to sd_mem_ctrl and inserted my 4Gb SD card -- the zaurus recognized/mounted the card.  it worked all evening, til i put the z to sleep -- at which point, the card was no longer recognized (despite repeated re-insertion/reboot/etc/etc).  

so.. when i checked the /etc/sdcard/sd_mem_ctrl file, it was now the 4240byte, newer version.  when i deleted the 'newer' file, then copied the older .bak file to sd_mem_ctrl -- i reinserted the sd card --- and, voila!  joy.

so... something appears to be rewriting/overwriting/changing... the sd_mem_ctrl file before/during/after 'sleep'.  which prevents the card from being subsequently recognized/remounted.

i am not smart enough to figure out what else is going on; but, i continue to read/learn....
zaurus sl-c3100

etrigan

• View Profile
Odd Sd-mmc Behavior
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 10:26:52 am »
even more...

this is really maddening.
decided to reload fsck'd all drives.  minor mods to sd_mem_ctrl (above) and fstab

*/dev/mmcda1 /mnt/card auto noauto,owner 0 0 *

this line previously had other options *noauto,owner,noatime,iocharset=utf8*

now.. all sd/mmc cards from 16mb to 1gb work fine.  the 4gb is recognized and mounted intermittently -- and, when mounted (approx every 4-5 insertions) works properly until the zaurus is placed in suspend mode.

the 4gb cannot be mounted manually, nor can it be fsck'd, formatted, etc... no device appears to be recognized.
this card continues to work properly in 2 different digital cameras (every insertion).

i really think this is a coding/software issue.  if anyone has any suggestions as to how i would go about 'tracking' the culprit (whether module or device or whatever), please give me your thoughts.
i really don't need a 4gb card on my digital camera... but don't want to be constrained to 1gb on my z.
zaurus sl-c3100

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
Odd Sd-mmc Behavior
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 08:06:41 pm »
even more...

this is really maddening.
decided to reload fsck'd all drives.  minor mods to sd_mem_ctrl (above) and fstab

*/dev/mmcda1 /mnt/card auto noauto,owner 0 0 *

this line previously had other options *noauto,owner,noatime,iocharset=utf8*

now.. all sd/mmc cards from 16mb to 1gb work fine.  the 4gb is recognized and mounted intermittently -- and, when mounted (approx every 4-5 insertions) works properly until the zaurus is placed in suspend mode.

the 4gb cannot be mounted manually, nor can it be fsck'd, formatted, etc... no device appears to be recognized.
this card continues to work properly in 2 different digital cameras (every insertion).

i really think this is a coding/software issue.  if anyone has any suggestions as to how i would go about 'tracking' the culprit (whether module or device or whatever), please give me your thoughts.
i really don't need a 4gb card on my digital camera... but don't want to be constrained to 1gb on my z.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155218\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

did you read my notes on large SD cards, ie 4GB SD cards? since they are larger and contain more data, they also take longer to synchronize before unmounting/suspend. unfortunately, this problem didn't exist with smaller capacity SD cards and the original scripts didn't have to cater for that.
so for 4GB SD cards, you need to increase the wait delay before the SD card is ejected/suspended and it is also recommened to change to mount option to sync instead of async (which however makes the SD a bit slower, but consistency of data is more important to me than speed)
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K