Author Topic: Usb Wifi Dongle For C-1000 W/cacko 1.23  (Read 3411 times)

Insubordination

• View Profile
Usb Wifi Dongle For C-1000 W/cacko 1.23
« on: March 24, 2007, 02:12:05 pm »
Evening.

Im just a few days away from becoming a Zaurus owner for the first time, a used C-1000 running Cacko 1.23.

Now it is important for me get connected with my schools wireless network with it and was looking abouts for different solutions (WiFi CF-cards, USB WiFi dongle etc).

I have access to a Sandisk Connect Plus 802.11b CF card but looking around the forums it seems this one is a bit of a troublemaker for a guy that's just getting started.

2nd option would be a USB WiFi dongle, an option that seems easier (plug and play even with the right model).

So thats my question; What newer model (easier to get hold of) of USB WiFi dongle is plug and play (if any) on a C-1000 running Cacko 1.23? And within that category; which one is the "best" regarding size and power consumption?

Thanks for your time.
T

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 10:28:21 pm »
Why are you looking at a USB device? My impression is that you can't use them without a powered hub, but I may be wrong. CF cards are also more plug-n-play (the Connect Plus aside), not to mention the issue with only having to carry one thing (Z with CF card in it) instead of three or four (Z, USB dongle, USB host cable, powered hub).

Just my two cents.
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 10:34:22 pm »
Evening.

Im just a few days away from becoming a Zaurus owner for the first time, a used C-1000 running Cacko 1.23.

Now it is important for me get connected with my schools wireless network with it and was looking abouts for different solutions (WiFi CF-cards, USB WiFi dongle etc).

I have access to a Sandisk Connect Plus 802.11b CF card but looking around the forums it seems this one is a bit of a troublemaker for a guy that's just getting started.

2nd option would be a USB WiFi dongle, an option that seems easier (plug and play even with the right model).

So thats my question; What newer model (easier to get hold of) of USB WiFi dongle is plug and play (if any) on a C-1000 running Cacko 1.23? And within that category; which one is the "best" regarding size and power consumption?

Thanks for your time.
T
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157112\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

the sandisk connect plus does work with Cacko... it just can't work in dual mode, ie give you access to the cf storage at the same time as cf wifi. you just have to switch mode. cf storage or cf wifi... there is an ipk floating around that lets you switch mode.... search for it on the forum...
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 04:06:37 pm »
I think your best bet is a CF adaptor, with prism2 or 2.5 chipset so's you can run WPA as well as WEP using the hostap driver.

The biggest snag is that you can't always tell what the chipset is on "unbranded" ones, for e.g. the Mercury Zonet ZCF1100 is prism2, but some Mercury ones aren't.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 04:09:29 pm »
p.s. the other issue to bear in mind is how far out the adaptor sticks. The Socket/Symbol one is relatively small, sticks out maybe 5mm at most, but you can't do WPA. The ZCF1100 is more chunky but no further. Some stick out over 2cm from what people say.

ebay is probably the best source, worthwhile if auction doesn't include it is to ask seller for a hi-res photo of the back of the card showing the serial number and full model number.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.