Author Topic: Otterbox  (Read 4775 times)

abercoder

• View Profile
    • http://
Otterbox
« on: April 29, 2007, 07:29:53 pm »
Has anyone tried a CL-1000 in an otterbox 2600 or 3600 case?

I need a case for my zaurus which is:

waterproof
floats
lets me see the screen
use a CF or USB bluetooth card
can sustain dropping the zaurus a metre or two

My intended use is as a GPS mapping device on a boat, so the zaurus will almost certainly be splashed and could fall in the water.

Alternativley are there any other cases which could do this? I've seen the Pelican 1020 mentioned but it doesn't look like you can read the screen through it?

Drake01

• View Profile
Otterbox
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 10:13:50 pm »
Alternativley are there any other cases which could do this? I've seen the Pelican 1020 mentioned but it doesn't look like you can read the screen through it?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160090\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I have a Pelican 1020.  The top is clear enough that you could read the screen, but there is a decal that would probably interfere.  If you removed the decal, there are still a couple of "ribs" on the outside of the case that would probably interfere with easily viewing a map.  

The 1020 is a very nice size for my C1000, but I've never considered trying to use it while in the case.  I think a case with a larger unobscured window would work better.
Device: SL-C3200 running pdaXii13v2 build 5.5.0
Networking: Symbol Spectrum24 WLAN card; Kingston CIO10T CF NIC
Storage: 4GB Transcend 150x SD; 16GB Transcend 133x CF; 4GB Seagate CF HDD; 4GB Patriot SD
HID: Logitech V450 Laser Mouse; generic silicone USB keyboard; 2 generic optical mice; stock plastic stylus
GPS: generic "UT-41" USB GPS Receiver
Case: neoprene case from my old Palm foldable keyboard

deluxe

• View Profile
Otterbox
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 04:00:10 pm »
Has anyone tried a CL-1000 in an otterbox 2600 or 3600 case?

I need a case for my zaurus which is:

waterproof
floats
lets me see the screen
use a CF or USB bluetooth card
can sustain dropping the zaurus a metre or two

My intended use is as a GPS mapping device on a boat, so the zaurus will almost certainly be splashed and could fall in the water.

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160090\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I have the Otterbox you mention, also the Pelican 1020. It'll fit almost perfectly in the 1020, but not at all in the Otterbox.
Neill Currie
Hillsborough
Nh, USA.
---------
SL-C3100, Cacko "heavy" ROM.
SL-C1000, Cacko "heavy" ROM.
A SL-5500 with TKrom.
Ambicom and Symbol CF wifi, 8gb Seagate Microdrive, <4gb Transcend SD. Assorted other digital detritus.
---------
Owner of a Nokia n810 Internet Tablet.
Also a Nokia n800, and a 4th generation iPod Touch.
---------

abercoder

• View Profile
Otterbox
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 09:49:30 pm »
I have the Otterbox you mention, also the Pelican 1020. It'll fit almost perfectly in the 1020, but not at all in the Otterbox.

Thanks. I just saw the dimensions of the otterbox and it looks like its not wide enough for the zaurus?

I was thinking the otterbox looked perfect, it lets you use the PDA inside it, cables can even be passed in and its water proof and floats. Looks like I'll need to look a bit harder

deluxe

• View Profile
Otterbox
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 10:34:22 am »
Correct, I think.
The zaurus won't fit as the dimension from the hinge to the SD slot is about 0.125" too long.
I thought of dremmeling my Otterbox to make it fit, but there seems to be too little spare material to work with.
Neill Currie
Hillsborough
Nh, USA.
---------
A SL-5500 with TKrom.
Ambicom and Symbol CF wifi, 8gb Seagate Microdrive, <4gb Transcend SD. Assorted other digital detritus.
---------
---------

abercoder

• View Profile
Otterbox
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 01:56:11 pm »
Correct, I think.
The zaurus won't fit as the dimension from the hinge to the SD slot is about 0.125" too long.
I thought of dremmeling my Otterbox to make it fit, but there seems to be too little spare material to work with.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160602\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Which otterbox do you have? the 2600 or 3600? I just noticed the 3600 is 3.6" wide internally where as the 2600 is 3.375" internally. I've just remeasured my zaurus with a different tape measure and make it to be just over 3.3" wide.

deluxe

• View Profile
Otterbox
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 07:56:37 pm »
Mine's the model 2000
Neill Currie
Hillsborough
Nh, USA.
---------
A SL-5500 with TKrom.
---------
---------