Author Topic: So Which Rom Should I Use For 3200?  (Read 19145 times)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
So Which Rom Should I Use For 3200?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2007, 11:57:48 am »
I think the only time you need to be careful about existing the D+M menu or OK menus is when doing a nand backup, to make sure the Z has finished writing to the card... i.e when it indicates its finished to wait, say, another 30 seconds just to be safe.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

kitkatneko

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 10:09:55 pm »
yes, pdaxrom is indeed enjoyable. though a word of caution is necessary IMHO...although pdaxii3 is very stable, it is also quite slow. dont expect it to be nearly as responsive as a desktop system. and i mean an old p3 desktop system or even older. i'm quite dissapointed with its speed. especially when it comes to apps like abiword and firefox. pdaxrom r198 is supposed to be much faster. now, im not going to confirm  or negate that. i tried r198 on my c1000 and abiword was much slower on r198 than on pdaxii3. not to mention a lavish flashing experience...
now i ask you fellow senior and new Z users... is it feasible to expect significant performance increases with the introduction of EABI and stable kernel 2.6 based distros?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161345\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I hear this all the time about how much slower 2.4 kernel is compared to the 2.6 kernel but, I find the speed gains minimal for what I do.  I'm running R198 on my 1000 and pdaXii13 akita full on my 3200.  Firefox, AbiWord and Gimp are slow on both ROMs.  ScummVM runs like a dream on pdaXii13 but, doesn't work properly under R198 thanks to some audio issues.  Videos run smoothly under pdaXii13 but, I hear that is not the case with the 2.6 kernels.  Got to test that one.  

The 2.6 kernel based ROMs have a ways to go before they have the usability of the 2.4 kernel based ROMs.  I also have a feeling that alot of the speed increases that everyone keeps talking about with 2.6 kernels will be lost once the ROMs become more feature complete on the Z.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161361\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

This is getting interesting.
I've only used Cacko and the Sharprom which I find run at reasonnable speed, not instantaneous but almost.
So when you talk about slowness, what is it? Is it tapping on firefox and wait for what 2,5,10,30 sec?

jpmatrix

• View Profile
    • http://matrixmen.free.fr
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2007, 05:07:03 pm »
BSD: the only one which runs Firefox 2
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  
**ex-Zaurus SL-C3000 owner with Debian kernel 2.6.24-yonggun

MrStaypuft

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2007, 08:26:45 pm »
OK Here's a stupid question

I have a 3200 and I'm doing the install.

One users post said to replace initrd.bin with hdimage-full.tgz for the second part of the install (the microdrive bit)

Holovector said: "After that replace intrd.bin from the Akita page our install CF/CD card with hdimage-full.tgz from here"

Does that mean rename hdimage-full.tgz or simply remove initrd.bin from the CF card and put hdimage-full.tgz on there?

Sorry to seem like an Idiot but I'd really like to get this right the FIRST time...

MrStaypuft

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2007, 09:50:00 pm »
OK that was a stupid question - I just copied the file on the card and it all seems to have worked fine.

kitkatneko

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2007, 10:01:37 pm »
no feedback about the speed?

MrStaypuft

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2007, 10:13:46 pm »
But one thing i CANNOT find is - how do you re-calibrate the touch screen - it's not quite right and driving me crazy!!

Also one more thing - I used to simply connect it via USB to my PC and all the networking stuff just worked.  I have run meanines script usbnet but my computer keeps saying "limited or no connectivity" on the network adapter (running Windows XP) and coming up with an IP address vastly different to the one configured on the Zaurus - obviously zaurus is also not browseable.

I have had a play around with Samba config, etc and I can't seem to make this work - does anyone have any suggestions?

Speed is definately slower than the Sharp environment but this shouldn't exactly be a shock given what we're trying to do!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 10:32:56 pm by MrStaypuft »

MrStaypuft

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2007, 12:45:48 am »
One more One more thing is that quite a few apps aren't running

eg: SMplayer (tries to start but then returns to desktop)

Have I done something wrong on install?
I did use updater.sh 0.2 as my installer for both NAND and HDD
Should I have upgraded to 0.3 for the HDD part?

Anyway I'll keep playing around...

jpmatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2007, 06:03:46 am »
One more One more thing is that quite a few apps aren't running

eg: SMplayer (tries to start but then returns to desktop)

Have I done something wrong on install?
I did use updater.sh 0.2 as my installer for both NAND and HDD
Should I have upgraded to 0.3 for the HDD part?

Anyway I'll keep playing around...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

look out the threads in PdaXrom topic
for eg the "Pdaxii13 for cxxxx" one
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2007, 08:08:51 am »
But one thing i CANNOT find is - how do you re-calibrate the touch screen - it's not quite right and driving me crazy!!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161866\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
removing /etc/pointercal should do it:

#rm /etc/pointercal

EDIT: and restart X. (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, startx)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 08:09:25 am by Capn_Fish »
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

jpmatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2007, 11:41:11 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161866\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

#rm /etc/pointercal

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161879\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

or run xtscal as root
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  

MrStaypuft

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2007, 05:21:51 pm »
Thanks for the help guys - fixed it up now.

I May go back to Sharp (I am a little ashamed of my lameness) it's a neat environment but it's just a little slow and fiddly for my needs right now.

But at least I know I can load it pretty easily.

#rm /etc/pointercal

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161879\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

or run xtscal as root
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161886\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2007, 06:36:07 pm »
Thanks for the help guys - fixed it up now.

I May go back to Sharp (I am a little ashamed of my lameness) it's a neat environment but it's just a little slow and fiddly for my needs right now.

there's no shame in going back to Sharp, but many people stick with Cacko as a sort of Sharp++.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

MrStaypuft

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2007, 07:08:23 pm »
I can never find a version of Cacko to download for the 3200.

I haven't looked for a while but last time I checked there wasn't one

Has this changed?

Where can I find it?

HoloVector

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2007, 09:00:28 pm »
I can never find a version of Cacko to download for the 3200.

I haven't looked for a while but last time I checked there wasn't one

Has this changed?

Where can I find it?
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
The hosted files from this site will be fixed soon so the old links on www.cacko.biz will work again.    

If you are in hurry and don't want to wait you can find the 3200 version [a href=\"http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/?q=cacko]here[/url].  
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 09:01:35 pm by HoloVector »
I think I'm coming down with what kahm's got!  I now have 3 Zaurii in house!  ;)
Current: Zaurus SL-C3200 -  Bobby (Configuring pdaXii13 Akita with Full 5.4.9 upgrade running IceWM)
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Hachiko (Configuring Cacko 1.23 with evilJazz's new kernel)
Zaurus SL-C860 - Fett (Customized Cacko 1.23 with handmade Boba Fett Theme)
Symbol WiFi CF card|Buffalo WiFi CF Card|Buffalo Ethernet CF Card|Red Piel Frama Case|PDAir Case|Black Pelican 1020 Case|Pentopia Stylii|SaruTek Protectors|Transcend SDs (4GB 150X, 1GB 80X, 256MB 45X, 128MB 45X)|2GB PNY SD|2GB SanDisk SD|Transcend CFs (1GB 80X, 512MB 80X)|Sandisk CFs (4GB, 512MB, 256MB)|256MB Netac USB-CF|RH-1 Remote
Check out the ScummVM@tyrannozaurus page if you are an "adventurer" type of person.