Author Topic: So What Exactly Is Cacko?  (Read 5850 times)

RLamb

• View Profile
So What Exactly Is Cacko?
« on: June 08, 2007, 05:16:30 pm »
Hey guys,

I do kind of get what Cacko is but I'm still a bit confused about how exactly it differs from the original SharpROM. The features lists just look like changelogs from the previous versions of cacko not the chnages to the SharpROM, so could anyone summarise briefly what cacko is and how it differs from the SharpROM please? Would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks!!
Zaurus C-3200 (6gb version).
Cacko 1.23
Planex GW-CF11H Wifi Card

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 07:03:53 pm »
Hey guys,

I do kind of get what Cacko is but I'm still a bit confused about how exactly it differs from the original SharpROM. The features lists just look like changelogs from the previous versions of cacko not the chnages to the SharpROM, so could anyone summarise briefly what cacko is and how it differs from the SharpROM please? Would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks!!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162855\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

basically, cacko is created using the Sharp ROM as the core, but replacing all the standard linux things with much later versions, and adding all the features that Sharp were too lazy or incompetent to do.

This means that you can install and run all the Sharp proprietary applications (such as Opera and Netfront web browsers, media and photo players etc), but also run many other applications ported to the Zaurus's qtopia graphical interface such as games, and also perhaps most important mplayer for great movie and stream playback.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

RLamb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 07:09:31 pm »
Great summary thanks. How does the speed of use/interface compare to the default SharpROM? I reverted from pdaXii3 back to Sharp due to the speed, but is cacko closer to sharpROM speeds than pdaXii3?
Cacko 1.23

adf

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 07:15:28 pm »
Great summary thanks. How does the speed of use/interface compare to the default SharpROM? I reverted from pdaXii3 back to Sharp due to the speed, but is cacko closer to sharpROM speeds than pdaXii3?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
It really dpends what you mean by speed.  In terms of actually running stuff, pdaX, any flavor, is equal to or faster than sharprom. If you mean the windows open quickly, then any of the QT based roms (shaprom, cacko, opie) will be faster than the gtk roms (pdaX, OZ/Anstrom/GPE).  Cacko has an improved kernel and a QTE based interface, so it will look and act much like sharprom, but actually run better than the default sharp kernel.
Sounds like cacko might be something you'd like.
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

uth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 08:37:11 pm »
When I first got my Z, I too was a bit skeptical about installing Cacko on it,  but once I did, I never wanted to go back.

It's the sharp rom, + newer kernel, apps, device drivers for more devices.    It also seems to be more user friendly than the Sharp rom.

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

RLamb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 10:33:44 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys, definitely going to give it a try.

EDIT : (Had another Q asking for working download link but have found now).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 10:47:38 pm by RLamb »
Cacko 1.23

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 05:04:20 am »
I didn't find cacko too slow, even Opera was quite useable.

the only thing cacko lacks is a WPA wizard, which isn't really a major headache, just edit the wlan-ng.opts file to add WPA=y and edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

sleet01

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 03:28:36 am »

the only thing cacko lacks is a WPA wizard, which isn't really a major headache, just edit the wlan-ng.opts file to add WPA=y and edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162894\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I bought an Akita a few months back and have been trying to find the perfect ROM.  I finally got around to Cacko, and I find it's missing quite a few things.  Perhaps it's my machine only, but it's missing a working networking wizard, man, locate, and any capability to install ipkg files.  It does have HancomSheet and a working screen rotate capability, which pdaXrom is lacking, but I'm definitely going to go look at Opie again, because if I can't install programs I'm not going to run this ROM.

Dromede

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 04:37:08 am »
actually, screen rotation in pdaxrom works. :-)  true, pdaxrom doesn't have hancomsheet but it does have gnumeric instead which is IMHO much better than hancomsheet...

Meanie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 05:30:23 am »

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162894\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I bought an Akita a few months back and have been trying to find the perfect ROM.  I finally got around to Cacko, and I find it's missing quite a few things.  Perhaps it's my machine only, but it's missing a working networking wizard, man, locate, and any capability to install ipkg files.  It does have HancomSheet and a working screen rotate capability, which pdaXrom is lacking, but I'm definitely going to go look at Opie again, because if I can't install programs I'm not going to run this ROM.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165310\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

you got an akita which means limited space (ie, only 128MB of NAND) and you expect to have man and all the docs installed on it? the zaurus is an embedded system and does not have all the tools that are preinstalled on desktop linux systems preinstalled, although most of these tools can be installed if you insist on having them. installing ipk files work in cacko both from the GUI as well as command line which is not the case in opie (or even gpe). you just need to configure a feed or install packages manually one by one. all the tools you want are available, it is just a matter of finding them and whether you have sufficient free space to install them all...
as mentioned before, pdaXrom has working screen rotation and well as a better spreadsheet app as well. hancomsheet is not supported on opie due to it using newer libraries but it may work if you add older compat libs...

you really should do more research...
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 07:35:00 am »
I bought an Akita a few months back and have been trying to find the perfect ROM.  I finally got around to Cacko, and I find it's missing quite a few things.  Perhaps it's my machine only, but it's missing a working networking wizard, man, locate, and any capability to install ipkg files.  It does have HancomSheet and a working screen rotate capability, which pdaXrom is lacking, but I'm definitely going to go look at Opie again, because if I can't install programs I'm not going to run this ROM.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165310\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

the networking control panel worked fine for me, but you need to have a card in it which is recognised as a network or modem.

the only weaknesses (aprt from wpa as previously noted) is that you can't have an ESSID with a space in it, so have to edit the wlan-ng.opts file (or better, hack the qtopia config files which generate the wlan-ng.opts

I think too it can be fun to set up GPRS with a gprs modem or bluetooth-to-cellphone setup, lots of backslashes to get the quotes working.

but, it did work.

and you can do "ipkg list | grep xyx" and "ipkg install xyx" etc, just make sure you have the right sourced in the ipkg config; there's a graphical tool as well if I remember.

I'm now on Angstrom so that I can use TomTom....  Angstrom's is usable by moderately experience linux users (as opposed to expert administrators) but not ready for n00bs.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 07:41:21 am by speculatrix »

sleet01

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 09:24:35 pm »
you got an akita which means limited space (ie, only 128MB of NAND) and you expect to have man and all the docs installed on it? the zaurus is an embedded system and does not have all the tools that are preinstalled on desktop linux systems preinstalled, although most of these tools can be installed if you insist on having them. installing ipk files work in cacko both from the GUI as well as command line which is not the case in opie (or even gpe). you just need to configure a feed or install packages manually one by one. all the tools you want are available, it is just a matter of finding them and whether you have sufficient free space to install them all...
as mentioned before, pdaXrom has working screen rotation and well as a better spreadsheet app as well. hancomsheet is not supported on opie due to it using newer libraries but it may work if you add older compat libs...

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165315\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

No need to get defensive, bro, I'm not saying it doesn't do anything for anyone, just that it doesn't do what I need.  Sure, I've got 128MB, but it sure looks like it's only using 64 megs for the root partition, and that's 40% free - that could probably fit a few man pages.  I've also got a 1GB SD card, 77% free, and a 4GB microdrive with nothing on it... too bad ipkg always fails when installing packages, whether to the internal flash or to external cards, via the CLI or the GUI tool!  Too bad there isn't some kind of log file for ipkg, so I have some idea *why* it fails to install.

You should really not jump to conclusions.

Meanie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 11:01:09 pm »

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165315\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

No need to get defensive, bro, I'm not saying it doesn't do anything for anyone, just that it doesn't do what I need.  Sure, I've got 128MB, but it sure looks like it's only using 64 megs for the root partition, and that's 40% free - that could probably fit a few man pages.  I've also got a 1GB SD card, 77% free, and a 4GB microdrive with nothing on it... too bad ipkg always fails when installing packages, whether to the internal flash or to external cards, via the CLI or the GUI tool!  Too bad there isn't some kind of log file for ipkg, so I have some idea *why* it fails to install.

You should really not jump to conclusions.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165335\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

i am not getting defensive here, just trying to let you know a few things in case you are heading in the wrong directions or have wrong expectations which unfortunately many people have.
not all packages are compatible across distros/roms so make sure the ipk file you have is for the correct distro, ie cacko or sharp rom. when installing using the ipkg command line, you should see error messages. you also need to install as root in many cases instead of the default zaurus user. logging is turned off by default but can be enabled, plus ipkg is a script so you can easily trace through the execution yourself without a debugger, etc...
most of this info is actually on the wiki and if you manage to use the search feature (the search feature has some limitations) all the info you need is there
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 11:03:13 pm by Meanie »