Author Topic: Can't Install Programs On The Sd Card  (Read 5982 times)

dougeeebear

• View Profile
    • http://
Can't Install Programs On The Sd Card
« on: July 23, 2007, 11:46:07 am »
I have tried to install several programs on my 4 GB SD card, but I always get the following error message:

"Not enough storage memory for installation"

I have 2773MB available on the SD card, so I don't really understand the problem.
The only thing I can think of is the sharp installer doesn't want to install to a 4GB SD card.
The SD card is formatted as ext2.
I used the command "mke2fs -m 0 /dev/mmcda1" to format it so I wouldn't have the 5% overhead loss.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug
Zaurus SL-C1000 and SL-5500
NetWalker PC-T1 (tablet)

Cresho

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~cresho/
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 12:58:43 pm »
i have the same issues.  install programs using terminal.
Zaurus C-3200 (internal 8gb seagate drive) with buuf icon theme, cacko 1.23 full,  and also Meanie's pdaxqtrom-Debian/Open Office
Zaurus SL-5500 Sharp Rom 3.13 with steel theme
pretec pocket pc wi fi
ambicom bt2000-cf bluetooth-made in taiwan
simpletech 1gb cf
pny 1gb sd
patriot 2gb
ocz or patriot 4gb sd(failed after 2 weeks)only on z
creative csw-5300 speakers in stereo
DigiLife DDV-1000 for video, Audio, Picture recording playable on the zaurus
Mustek DV4500-video recorder, pictures, voice record on sd for z

zaurusthemes.biz | ZaurusVideo | Zaurus Software

dougeeebear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 05:16:02 pm »
I'll give it a try, thanks.
NetWalker PC-T1 (tablet)

dougeeebear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 07:30:45 am »
Well, I can get the packages install to the SD card no problem, but I don't get an icon on the desktop.

Code: [Select]
# ipkg -d /mnt/card install packagenameI just can't seem to figure out the link command.

Also is there a command to restart qtopia (I don't have an icon for it)

Thanks,
Doug
NetWalker PC-T1 (tablet)

ShiroiKuma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 08:09:10 am »
You can't install progs to SD or CF from the command line and run them effectively, since the ipkg doesn't ipkg link them after installing them to the SD. The qipkg does the linking for you.

You need to manually link the files then. Meanie has an xipkg script in his ipkg-tools package that does the linking. I have found it not to my liking. So I use this script:
#!/bin/sh
TEMP=/tmp
HDD=/mnt/card
for FILE in $*
do
    ipkg -d h install $FILE
    PROGRAM=`basename $FILE | sed 's/_.*//'`
    echo "Linking $PROGRAM files..."
    sed 's/\(^[^\/]\)/\/\1/' < $HDD/usr/lib/ipkg/info/$PROGRAM.list > $TEMP/list1
    LIST=`cat $TEMP/list1`
    for LINE in $LIST
    do
        if [ -d $HDD$LINE ]
        then
            mkdir -p $LINE
        elif [ -f $HDD$LINE ]
        then
            if [ -e $LINE ]
            then
                rm $LINE
            fi
            ln -s $HDD$LINE $LINE
        elif [ -h $HDD$LINE ]
        then
            if [ -e $LINE ]
            then
                rm $LINE
            fi
            cp $HDD$LINE $LINE
        fi
    done
    sed 's/\(.*\)/\/hdd3\/installroot\1/' < $TEMP/list1 > $TEMP/list2
    cat $TEMP/list1 >> $TEMP/list2
    cp $TEMP/list2 /usr/lib/ipkg/info/$PROGRAM.list
    rm $TEMP/list1
    rm $TEMP/list2
    rm $HDD/usr/lib/ipkg/info/$PROGRAM.list
    sed 's/\/hdd3\/installroot/\//' < $HDD/usr/lib/ipkg/status >> /usr/lib/ipkg/status
    rm $HDD/usr/lib/ipkg/status
    touch $HDD/usr/lib/ipkg/status
    if [ -e $HDD/usr/lib/ipkg/info/$PROGRAM.* ]
    then
        mv $HDD/usr/lib/ipkg/info/* /usr/lib/ipkg/info/
    fi
    echo "Done."
done
Run it as
sudo ipk the_ipkg_nameand it'll install the packages to sd and link them, so you can use them later.

Regarding the error with not enough space that you get, you need enough space in your internal memory to unpack the full ipk. So if you're installing something big, though to an SD, it unpacks it in Temp somewhere to internal memory. Check Meanie's site on how to set the TMP or TEMP variable, so it doesn't unpack to internal and you don't get the not-enough-storage-space error.
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']Das ganze tschechische Volk ist eine Simulantenbande.[/font][/span]
Militäroberarzt Bautze

dougeeebear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 02:46:41 pm »
Sounds like a lot of work.
I'll see if I can figure it all out.
Thanks for the info.
Doug.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 05:18:49 pm by dougeeebear »
NetWalker PC-T1 (tablet)

ShiroiKuma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 04:29:11 am »
sudo ipk the_ipkg_nameRunning this command sounds like a lotta work to you?  
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']Das ganze tschechische Volk ist eine Simulantenbande.[/font][/span]
Militäroberarzt Bautze

dougeeebear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 07:19:25 am »
Since you said I had to run "sudo ipk the_ipkg_name" I installed sudo_0.1_arm.ipk.
This is an old version I used to have on my SL-5500 ... I couldn't find a newer version in any of the feeds.

I copied the code you gave me to a file which I named "ipk" (because you said to run "sudo ipk") and made it executable.
In the terminal as root, I cd to /mnt/card where I have "ipk" and "amortize_1.0.0_arm.ipk" located for testing.
When I run "sudo ipk amortize_1.0.0_arm.ipk" I get an error message something like "not found: sudo ipk".

So I must be doing something wrong.

Sorry to be such a pain, but I'm lost.

Thanks,
Doug
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 02:21:26 pm by dougeeebear »
NetWalker PC-T1 (tablet)

Drake01

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 06:32:56 pm »
I copied the code you gave me to a file which I named "ipk" (because you said to run "sudo ipk") and made it executable.
In the terminal as root, I cd to /mnt/card where I have "ipk" and "amortize_1.0.0_arm.ipk" located for testing.
When I run "sudo ipk amortize_1.0.0_arm.ipk" I get an error message something like "not found: sudo ipk".[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165392\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I'm going to guess that the directory you put the 'ipk' file into was not in your path, in which case you'd need to specify the path to the executable.  If you're in the directory containing the executable, you could do:
sudo ./ipk amortize_1.0.0_arm.ipk

A better solution, if you're planning to use this script, would be to put it into a directory that is in your path.  That could be /usr/bin or some other directory where you store executables.

BTW, you don't need to run sudo if you're logged in as root.  The sudo command allows you to run commands with root privileges while you are logged in as a normal user.  If you're root, just leave the sudo part off.
Device: SL-C3200 running pdaXii13v2 build 5.5.0
Networking: Symbol Spectrum24 WLAN card; Kingston CIO10T CF NIC
Storage: 4GB Transcend 150x SD; 16GB Transcend 133x CF; 4GB Seagate CF HDD; 4GB Patriot SD
HID: Logitech V450 Laser Mouse; generic silicone USB keyboard; 2 generic optical mice; stock plastic stylus
GPS: generic "UT-41" USB GPS Receiver
Case: neoprene case from my old Palm foldable keyboard

dougeeebear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 06:54:28 pm »
When I run "sudo ipk amortize_1.0.0_arm.ipk" I get an error message something like "not found: sudo ipk".[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165392\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I'm going to guess that the directory you put the 'ipk' file into was not in your path, in which case you'd need to specify the path to the executable.  If you're in the directory containing the executable, you could do:

A better solution, if you're planning to use this script, would be to put it into a directory that is in your path.  That could be /usr/bin or some other directory where you store executables.

BTW, you don't need to run sudo if you're logged in as root.  The sudo command allows you to run commands with root privileges while you are logged in as a normal user.  If you're root, just leave the sudo part off.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165400\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I've tried all combinations of the command and I can't get past the "not found" error.
I installed pdaXqtrom using Meanie's pdaXqtrom-install.sh script and didn't have any problem at all.

Thanks for the reply,
Doug
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 06:57:11 pm by dougeeebear »
NetWalker PC-T1 (tablet)

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 07:06:52 pm »

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165400\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I've tried all combinations of the command and I can't get past the "not found" error.
I installed pdaXqtrom using Meanie's pdaXqtrom-install.sh script and didn't have any problem at all.

Thanks for the reply,
Doug
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165402\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

he probably meant ipkg install and not just ipk
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K