Author Topic: Angstrom Status On Tosa  (Read 55842 times)

xjqian

• View Profile
    • http://
Angstrom Status On Tosa
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 05:15:35 am »
Quote from: xjqian
Quote from: speculatrix
thanks, I will dig out my Tosa and see how far I get . When Angstrom is good enough and I can use my Tosa more, I will get a new battery. I'd like to use it as an in-car media player (with a wireless hard drive) and to run tomtom,!

Please skip r8 and test r9 with 2.6.24 kernel.

sorry r9 with 2.6.24 kernel is not bootable right now. please test r8 instead.
My Blog | 6000L Tosa + sled | is: Angstrom | was: pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1 | was: stock 1.12 rom + no-ffpe fash kernel + X/Qt Debian |
CF GPS (FGPCFCD01) | USB "Prolific 2303" GPS (USB-UG-200) | Socket CF BT rev. H |  USB "Pegasus II" Ethernet (ADM8511) | PocketTop IR kbd | sip:527630@fwd.pulver.com
Todo: OESF wiki | stable VOIP app | usable GPS app |      Wishlist: VOIP + Bluetooth | GPS + Routing Calc

xjqian

• View Profile
Angstrom Status On Tosa
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 05:25:12 am »
Quote from: adf
is there a decent browser working in Angstrom on 6k?

in opie, bluelightening is working with konqueror-embedded upstream to get qt2 patches upstream.
in x11, there are couple of options: links-x11, netsurf, minimo, gpe-mini-browser and openmoko-browser2

I've used minimo which works very well on tosa (except the FN key is borken), I've heard netfurf is also a good alternative. personally, I don't like gpe-mini-browser. no experience with openmoko-browser (there is demo on youtube though.
My Blog | 6000L Tosa + sled | is: Angstrom | was: pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1 | was: stock 1.12 rom + no-ffpe fash kernel + X/Qt Debian |
CF GPS (FGPCFCD01) | USB "Prolific 2303" GPS (USB-UG-200) | Socket CF BT rev. H |  USB "Pegasus II" Ethernet (ADM8511) | PocketTop IR kbd | sip:527630@fwd.pulver.com
Todo: OESF wiki | stable VOIP app | usable GPS app |      Wishlist: VOIP + Bluetooth | GPS + Routing Calc

AeroSigma

• View Profile
Angstrom Status On Tosa
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 07:01:42 pm »
I tried the r17, and got an error right at start-up.  The backlight went off, and I got a line of text <something I can't remember> then ->no info.

have any info?  Is this the same problem that r9 had with the 2.6.24 kernel?

-AeroSigma
SL-6000L - Sharp ROM
Tetsu's Kernel

xjqian

• View Profile
Angstrom Status On Tosa
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 07:11:15 am »
Quote from: AeroSigma
I tried the r17, and got an error right at start-up.  The backlight went off, and I got a line of text <something I can't remember> then ->no info.

have any info?  Is this the same problem that r9 had with the 2.6.24 kernel?

-AeroSigma

Yeah. Still the same problem with r9. The one built from dev branch boots fine fore. I'm trying to figure out what's the difference.

AeroSigma

• View Profile
Angstrom Status On Tosa
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 02:58:12 pm »
I can't seem to get insternal WiFi to work (out of the box,) I select the "Wifi device" in the wlan0 tab under network settings, but next time I open network settings, it has unchecked itself.  I also don't seem to have the tools like ifconfig ifup etc. to work with.  What image are you using?  I'm using the x11-image which gives me GPE.

Edit: Well I've installed the console edition and I have the networking tools.  Could they have gotten overlooked in the x11-istall package?  Also, do you know what are the "relevant packages" to install GPE and x11 from the base console flash?

-AeroSigma
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 04:55:27 pm by AeroSigma »
SL-6000L - Sharp ROM
Tetsu's Kernel

xjqian

• View Profile
Angstrom Status On Tosa
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 05:24:04 pm »
I can't seem to get insternal WiFi to work (out of the box,) I select the "Wifi device" in the wlan0 tab under network settings, but next time I open network settings, it has unchecked itself.  I also don't seem to have the tools like ifconfig ifup etc. to work with.  What image are you using?  I'm using the x11-image which gives me GPE.

Edit: Well I've installed the console edition and I have the networking tools.  Could they have gotten overlooked in the x11-istall package?  Also, do you know what are the "relevant packages" to install GPE and x11 from the base console flash?

-AeroSigma

The wlan0 network setting gui is known broken. Try to manually edit /etc/wlan instead. There is a nice tutorial in the openzaurus wiki which works the same for Angstrom.

The /sbin directory is not in the normal users' path.
Code: [Select]
su - to get root access (just enter for password) for ifconfig, ifup etc.

AeroSigma

• View Profile
Angstrom Status On Tosa
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 07:29:59 pm »
I felt like a fish out of water without my internet config tools.  I tried root
su but not
su - but with the latter, I get more in my PATH.  what does the
- do?

I've got usb ethernet and wireless working now.

Thanks

-AeroSigma
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 07:57:31 pm by AeroSigma »
SL-6000L - Sharp ROM
Tetsu's Kernel

xjqian

• View Profile
Angstrom Status On Tosa
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 03:16:05 am »
but with the latter, I get more in my PATH.  what does the
- do?

I think it's a convention (busybox?). su is what debian/ubuntu uses for root including all PATH, while su is what Fedora uses for limited root, you need su - in Fedora for root with /sbin. I have no insight or historical knowledge about why it is so, although Angstrom is closer to debian than Fedora in lineage.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Angstrom Status On Tosa
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 05:10:38 am »
su makes you become root but keeps most of your existing environment, "su -" replaces your environment so is equivalent to logging in afresh as the new user.

you can also do "su fred" and "su - fred"

and you can run a command with su too

of course all this depends on what's been built into busybox.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

AeroSigma

• View Profile
Angstrom Status On Tosa
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 05:42:10 pm »
I've searched around for a way to sync my Angstrom w/GPE (installed gpe-todo, gpe-calendar etc. as well) with Outlook in windows(no choice, it's used at my company) and I can't seem to be able to get it to work.  This is really the only holding point for me to switch to Angstrom.  Am I overlooking something?  Is there a way to sync my Tosa loaded with Angstrom w/GPE to Outlook in Windows?

-AeroSigma

PS-it dosen't have to be easy to set up, I can handle the terminal and vi etc.  It just has to work once it's been set up.
SL-6000L - Sharp ROM
Tetsu's Kernel

undrwater

• View Profile
Angstrom Status On Tosa
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 07:22:31 pm »
AeroSigma,

Which install of Angstrom are you using?  I've tried a few and get the blank screen as well (has a bug for the latest version been filed?).

In terms of syncing, there was some activity when OpenZaurus was active...had something to do with passwordless ssh and some file conversions on the fly IIRC.  I may be confusing that with sync w/ Evolution.

AeroSigma

• View Profile
Angstrom Status On Tosa
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 12:10:16 pm »
Use r8 (release 8) to get by the blank screen problem.  All of the newer releases have the 2.6.24 kernel, which won't boot on the tosa yet.  You can find r8 here.  You can find the rest of the Tosa imagese here.

xjgian mentioned that he got the current release (17?) booting on the Tosa when he self-complied from the dev build, so I'm trying that out.  I'll let you know how it goes.
SL-6000L - Sharp ROM
Tetsu's Kernel

AeroSigma

• View Profile
Angstrom Status On Tosa
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 01:16:34 pm »
xjgian mentioned that he got the current release (17?) booting on the Tosa when he self-complied from the dev build, so I'm trying that out. I'll let you know how it goes.

SO how does it go you ask?  Not well.  I compiled r18 from the Dev build (took an entire day running on Ubuntu through VMWare) but when I flashed my Tosa, I still get the "tmio-fb: null info->mode" at the top of the screen instead of booting up, which I beileve is the 2.6.24 kernel problem.

xjgian, did you get a bootable build with the 2.6.24 kernel?  Could you send my your local.conf or your x11 image?

-AeroSIgma
SL-6000L - Sharp ROM
Tetsu's Kernel

undrwater

• View Profile
Angstrom Status On Tosa
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 12:37:06 am »
Let me also ask you; have you gotten around the suspend bug?  I don't believe that's been fixed in any of the releases.

I keep forgetting about this...and it's a show stopper for me.

LeTic

• View Profile
    • http://www.letic.fr
Angstrom Status On Tosa
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 08:24:34 am »
Sorry to post on a dead post but I just wanted to let you know that after lots of debugging from Dmitry he finally manage to solve the 2.6.24 bug on the tosa kernel.

It is available here : http://tosa.lumag.spb.ru/uploads/tosa-stable-images/debug/

So now Angström is booting back with the r19 image. But with that image the backlight doesn't seems to work on my tosa. I haven't tried other images yet though to check.

Discussion on the topic can be found here : http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/angst...ber/002737.html

More information on Dmitry's tosa page : http://tosa.lumag.spb.ru/news/17/55/Status-update.html
Zaurus SL 6000L - Hitachi Microdrive 4Go
Sharp ROM with Debian PocketWorkstation XFCE | Angström

PC on Debian Sid
www.letic.fr