Author Topic: Ea-72 Ac Adapter Problems  (Read 2812 times)

ToneBlind

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 88
    • View Profile
Ea-72 Ac Adapter Problems
« on: December 15, 2007, 06:28:22 pm »
Anyone have any? I have searched the forum up and down since I got my new SL-C1000, and I'm perhaps being a little bit paranoid over this. I know the adapter is not rated for U.S. voltage, but that there is evidence that it can handle it. Also, it seems nobody has ever been able to provide hard evidence (or at least plausible anecdotal evidence) that the EA-72 adapter killed their Zaurus.

Still...should I get a PSP adapter for it instead? Have any of you used the EA-72 for a long time and without problems?  

Thanks!

fix3r

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
Ea-72 Ac Adapter Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 07:10:06 pm »
I just ordered my Zaurus and luckily my brother has a PSP Charger

Just look at it this way. If no one has said anything about it, then you are taking a chance.

read this post:
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...st&p=172673

Drake01

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 226
    • View Profile
Ea-72 Ac Adapter Problems
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 12:26:10 am »
Quote from: ToneBlind
Anyone have any? I have searched the forum up and down since I got my new SL-C1000, and I'm perhaps being a little bit paranoid over this. I know the adapter is not rated for U.S. voltage, but that there is evidence that it can handle it. Also, it seems nobody has ever been able to provide hard evidence (or at least plausible anecdotal evidence) that the EA-72 adapter killed their Zaurus.

Still...should I get a PSP adapter for it instead? Have any of you used the EA-72 for a long time and without problems?  

Thanks!
I've been using the EA72 with my C1000 since I got it, and now with my C3200.  I've never noticed any problems.  I actually have a charger that's rated for U.S. voltage, but the EA72 was a bit smaller and seemed to produce 5V more accurately, so that's what I've been using for at least 18 months now.
Device: SL-C3200 running pdaXii13v2 build 5.5.0
Networking: Symbol Spectrum24 WLAN card; Kingston CIO10T CF NIC
Storage: 4GB Transcend 150x SD; 16GB Transcend 133x CF; 4GB Seagate CF HDD; 4GB Patriot SD
HID: Logitech V450 Laser Mouse; generic silicone USB keyboard; 2 generic optical mice; stock plastic stylus
GPS: generic "UT-41" USB GPS Receiver
Case: neoprene case from my old Palm foldable keyboard

ToneBlind

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 88
    • View Profile
Ea-72 Ac Adapter Problems
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 02:12:00 pm »
Quote from: fix3r
I just ordered my Zaurus and luckily my brother has a PSP Charger

Just look at it this way. If no one has said anything about it, then you are taking a chance.

read this post:
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...st&p=172673
Thanks for your input! If it buys you some  peace of mind, I guess using the PSP charger is cool.

I don't see lack of comments as taking a chance. Actually, people are more likely to complain than anything else.  
Also, after looking at more recent threads, it seems that there is no evidence at all that EA-72 is any less safe than the EA-70.)

Since you mentioned the PSP, have you taken a look at the GP2X? Run linux just like the Zaurus, and it is the emulation king of the handheld world.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 02:12:42 pm by ToneBlind »

ToneBlind

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 88
    • View Profile
Ea-72 Ac Adapter Problems
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 02:15:33 pm »
Quote from: Drake01
I've been using the EA72 with my C1000 since I got it, and now with my C3200.  I've never noticed any problems.  I actually have a charger that's rated for U.S. voltage, but the EA72 was a bit smaller and seemed to produce 5V more accurately, so that's what I've been using for at least 18 months now.
Thanks for responding, that is very reassuring!  
Have you been using it just to charge the batteries, or have you run your Zaurus and charged your batteries at the same time?

Drake01

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 226
    • View Profile
Ea-72 Ac Adapter Problems
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 06:34:01 pm »
Quote from: ToneBlind
Thanks for responding, that is very reassuring!  
Have you been using it just to charge the batteries, or have you run your Zaurus and charged your batteries at the same time?
I use it for both.  I have a CF network card that I use if I'm going to be connected to my LAN for an extended time for transferring files, accessing data files on the Z using the desktop version of the PIM apps, or running ssh or VNC.  If it's going to be networked for an extended period, I'll usually plug it in with the EA72 charger so that I'm not limited by the battery.

The battery seems to charge much more slowly if the unit is on, but I've never noticed any problems while on the charger.
Device: SL-C3200 running pdaXii13v2 build 5.5.0
Networking: Symbol Spectrum24 WLAN card; Kingston CIO10T CF NIC
Storage: 4GB Transcend 150x SD; 16GB Transcend 133x CF; 4GB Seagate CF HDD; 4GB Patriot SD
HID: Logitech V450 Laser Mouse; generic silicone USB keyboard; 2 generic optical mice; stock plastic stylus
GPS: generic "UT-41" USB GPS Receiver
Case: neoprene case from my old Palm foldable keyboard

raduga

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 129
    • View Profile
    • http://
Ea-72 Ac Adapter Problems
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 12:34:15 pm »
Quote from: ToneBlind
Anyone have any? I have searched the forum up and down since I got my new SL-C1000, and I'm perhaps being a little bit paranoid over this. I know the adapter is not rated for U.S. voltage, but that there is evidence that it can handle it. Also, it seems nobody has ever been able to provide hard evidence (or at least plausible anecdotal evidence) that the EA-72 adapter killed their Zaurus.

Still...should I get a PSP adapter for it instead? Have any of you used the EA-72 for a long time and without problems?  

Thanks!

There were several reports of broken C760s and C700s with EA-72 adaptors;
some reported in the forums,  some to Trisoft and other vendors.

People who reported bricked Zaurii ultimately found that a SMD resistor had failed in the charging
circuitry on their Zaurus mainboard.  They reporting "everything was fine, and then suddenly one day, KAPUT!"

I don't think anyone conclusively figured out what the problem was, but there have been very few
reports of bricked/destroyed Zaurii since.

I'll repost my last, best guess, updated for December 2007:

EA-72 was designed for Japanese power, with slightly lower voltage, and so Sharp got away with using
components with lower tolerances for voltage variation.

In unusual circumstances,  (or possibly simply using it for a long long time) something either failed
or momentarily glitched in the EA-72 under US power-  frying the Zaurus'  resistor.

Since then.... one of two things may have occurred:
either Sharp began using different components in their EA-72s (with higher rating, higher tolerances)
or they changed the charging circuitry within Zaurii to be less sensitive to spikes or glitches from the adaptor.

____________________

I guess I'd still recommend using something other than an EA-72 if you can,
but if your EA-72 is new(ish), or your Zaurus is new(ish)  you're more likely to be safe.

If the only recent forum posts you're finding, are ones like mine-
even more likely you're safe.