Author Topic: Zaurus Jtag Cable  (Read 6310 times)

puffy

• View Profile
Zaurus Jtag Cable
« on: January 25, 2008, 10:59:07 pm »
Does anyone here have experience using a Jtag cable for fixing a bricked Zaurus?
I am interested in knowing where to get the 18 pin connector to make a jtag cable.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 12:23:47 am by puffy »

pelrun

• View Profile
    • http://
Zaurus Jtag Cable
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 12:42:20 am »
How did you manage to brick it? A bad flash is *not* sufficient; the fn-D-M key combo will still get you into the diagnostic menu (it's stored in ROM.)

In any case, the jtag support is incomplete - it's in the schematic but the necessary components are not present on the actual units.
SL-C3100 with usb power mod running debian eabi
pdaXii13 still on the NAND for dualbooting
16GB SDHC! (a new one, after I sat on the old one and it went kaput)
D-Link 660 wifi, Socket Bluetooth rev H
External 9800mAh LiIon battery and slimline dvd drive
Homebrew microphone and remote

puffy

• View Profile
Zaurus Jtag Cable
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 03:13:21 am »
Quote from: pelrun
How did you manage to brick it? A bad flash is *not* sufficient; the fn-D-M key combo will still get you into the diagnostic menu (it's stored in ROM.)

In any case, the jtag support is incomplete - it's in the schematic but the necessary components are not present on the actual units.

Everyone tells me the diag menu is in read only memory. But I guess you can screw up the ability to access it. Because I have thoroughly exhausted every conceivable and documented procedure to access said menu(s).

Leave it to me to be the only freekin' schmuck who actually somehow bricked his Zaurus. Well, I didn't do it but the lame eBay guy who sold it to me did. The menus were never functioning.

Anyone know of a good repair service?

pelrun

• View Profile
Zaurus Jtag Cable
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 05:48:27 am »
Actual physical or electrical damage is really the only way to brick the Z; since you weren't the one who broke it then what happened is anybody's guess - a fall, water ingress, voltage spike etc.

If the seller represented it as a working unit then you should be able to claim back your money...

(oh, and as for last resorts, you *can* jtag the Z, but it requires opening the unit up and soldering to the signals directly - the missing components just remove the ability to use the connector to do it non-invasively.)

puffy

• View Profile
Zaurus Jtag Cable
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 09:14:32 am »
Actual physical or electrical damage is really the only way to brick the Z; since you weren't the one who broke it then what happened is anybody's guess - a fall, water ingress, voltage spike etc.

If the seller represented it as a working unit then you should be able to claim back your money...

(oh, and as for last resorts, you *can* jtag the Z, but it requires opening the unit up and soldering to the signals directly - the missing components just remove the ability to use the connector to do it non-invasively.)

Too late for a claim.
Going to get out the iron and make some solder smoke.  I've already gathered quite a few useful documents to help. But none yet that detail what needs to be connected. I'm now using a Simpad SL4 I bought to ease the pain  
But I'm fixing the Zaurus.

pelrun

• View Profile
Zaurus Jtag Cable
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 11:11:26 am »
I'd give you a copy of the service manual, but I was asked not to distribute it. Sorry.

Doesn't mean I can't point stuff out on a picture  I've left the usb port in for orientation purposes.

I've marked two of the JTAG testpoints; but I can't see from the photo I used where the testpoints are for the other two. So the diagram points to the appropriate IC pads instead. As far as the other components go, there's missing pullup/pulldown resistors for TCK, which I've marked as they're probably important; and missing caps to ground for TDI, TMS and TCK which I haven't marked as they're probably less important (I don't know the values either.)

Edit: uhoh - on the schematic the jtag wires are also crossed out at the cpu end. I hope they're still connected...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 11:15:47 am by pelrun »

puffy

• View Profile
Zaurus Jtag Cable
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 02:55:16 pm »
I'd give you a copy of the service manual, but I was asked not to distribute it. Sorry.

Doesn't mean I can't point stuff out on a picture  I've left the usb port in for orientation purposes.

I've marked two of the JTAG testpoints; but I can't see from the photo I used where the testpoints are for the other two. So the diagram points to the appropriate IC pads instead. As far as the other components go, there's missing pullup/pulldown resistors for TCK, which I've marked as they're probably important; and missing caps to ground for TDI, TMS and TCK which I haven't marked as they're probably less important (I don't know the values either.)

Edit: uhoh - on the schematic the jtag wires are also crossed out at the cpu end. I hope they're still connected...

Sweet  
Thank you pelrun

Hrw

• View Profile
Zaurus Jtag Cable
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 02:52:45 am »
http://blog.haerwu.biz/2006/08/09/sharp-zaurus-jtag-cable/ is schematics of official Sharp Zaurus JTAG cable. It is from SL-5500 service manual and require Win32 JTAG tool.

And I can not get it how you were able to brick sl-cxx00 device... From what I know only collie (5000/5500) can be bricked - rest of Zaurus devices warrant entry to diagnostics where nand restore is available.
OpenZaurus 3.5.4x Release Manager
OpenEmbedded, Ångström, Poky developer
My website

Misc embedded hardware.

scholbert

• View Profile
Zaurus Jtag Cable
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 07:45:47 am »
Hi there,

very nice pic pelrun  

I once started a thread with a similar question (pelrun might remember...):
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=22106