Author Topic: Google Android M5-rc14 Installable Image Available!  (Read 40523 times)

matthis

• View Profile
    • http://badaboum.bidibom.free.fr/mat/
Google Android M5-rc14 Installable Image Available!
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 07:52:50 am »
Got it to work as well!! Very very nice!!! THANKS!

#things that didn't go well: didn't manage to connect to the network, neither with lan nor wireless cf. But I guess I'm just an idiot.
#Android on zaurus is sexy!! I can't wait for it to be my main rom.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:10:52 am by matthis »

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 04:59:36 pm »
the first time it ran, my c3100 took a very long time to start up and I thought I'd be looking at the "nightrider eye" (or is a cylon) forever!

eventually it did start, so I was pretty wowed.

I've managed to get WEP wifi up at home, didn't seem to want to connect to work's WPA access point. I had to hack /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/network/interfaces though, set a manual IP + mask + route as it reports bad protocol when udhcpc runs, it's still very finicky. Locked up Z, hard reset (nice there's a button in the battery compartment)

Not actually managed to use the android web browser yet, but hopefully very very soon!

--edit-- rebooted, this time the manual settings in /etc/network/interfaces worked and I could ping www.google.com straight off.

fired up android and the browser, it reports "Page Load Suspended
No network coverage. Load will resume when network connection recovers"

--edit2-- my wireless access point is a linux box with intel 2915abg minipci card, so I can sniff the lan and do interesting stuff; when android browser fires up, I see no traffic, so it's not even trying to talk to the network. bummer. Went back to console, Z got upset, reboot time.

--edit3-- do I need to do the net.eth0.dns trick? hmm, I can use FN-left to switch back to the console, but weirdly android is still getting every key press too! Tried killing android process off, Z locks up, reset

--edit4-- aha, when the Z brings up wlan0 (ifup wlan0=home), I have to ping it from the gateway and then wlan0 works, otherwise Z can't ping the linux server. ok, I left a ping running, so know the Z is definitely online, but android cannot see the network. still no traffic on gateway. maps work, but when I scroll off the edge, I get a blank space and it pops up the no network alert.

no sound, no touchscreen either.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 05:38:08 pm by speculatrix »
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Android Zaurus

• View Profile
    • http://androidzaurus.seesaa.net
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 05:27:34 pm »
Quote from: speculatrix
No network coverage. Lod will resume when network connection recovers"

I think that 3G is stuff. We can ignore it for now.

Did you set net.eth0.dns1 in etc/default.prop?

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »
Quote from: Android Zaurus
Quote from: speculatrix
No network coverage. Lod will resume when network connection recovers"

I think that 3G is stuff. We can ignore it for now.

Did you set net.eth0.dns1 in etc/default.prop?

d'oh, Z locked up. don't know why I bother to put battery cover back on. BTW, you do know you can get to the flash menu by pressing the reset button in the battery compartment, ensuring cover lock is slid towards battery, hold OK and turn on? no need to remove battery and disconnect power at all. You also need to ensure you don't leave a card in the slot - my 4GB non-sdhc card breaks it.

anyway, where was I.. oh yes!

er, I used net.eth0.dns, so I will addnet.eth0.dns1 too.

woohoo! yes, it works. I still got the page load suspended but it still did the google search! Woohoo! (my wife, at this point, is reaching for the phone to call a psychiatrist and telling me not to wake our child (it's nearly 23:00)!)

browser seems to stall for no reason. trcpdump indicates lack of activity, can still ping.

wahay, I googled for "android zaurus" and got androidzaurus.seesaa blog site.

the home screen is now getting pretty full of icons... not sure how I close down all those apps. the FN button always seems to bring up the dialler, alphanumeric keys kick off a contact search.

damn, this is impressive stuff!!!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 06:10:46 pm by speculatrix »
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 07:53:20 am »
I demonstrated android at work, one of the guys worked on some 3G phone stuff and was quite impressed that it was even possible! I showed off the browser, hitting a few sites, and apart from having to hit enter a few times on some links, it worked very well. If barfed when I went to www.taptu.mobi, searched for some music and tried to play a sample, crashing android (but not the Z), the red dot reappeared, then android screen came back and it worked again.

I had to put my laptop into ad-hoc mode and use it as a gateway to the corporate lan, as I didn't get wpa wifi to work.

Android Zaurus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 05:26:14 am »
I totally forgot about updating my RotateView to m5-rc14/rc15. Just uploaded to my blog.

o Android Zaurus: RotateView for Android SDK m5-rc14/rc15

Eventhough I made some improvement in double buffer handling of frame buffer driver, still rotating display eats a lot of CPU power. A lot slower than portrait view.

Have fun.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 08:59:24 am »
Quote from: Android Zaurus
I totally forgot about updating my RotateView to m5-rc14/rc15. Just uploaded to my blog.
o Android Zaurus: RotateView for Android SDK m5-rc14/rc15
Eventhough I made some improvement in double buffer handling of frame buffer driver, still rotating display eats a lot of CPU power. A lot slower than portrait view.

thanks for that. it's odd that android doesn't have the intelligence to handle rotated frame buffers, surely by now people have realised that hard-wired display resolutions is just stupid (I'm looking at you, PalmOS and Microsoft PocketPC!)

whtslmndr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 01:53:29 pm »
Quote from: cortez
Sorry for the delay, but I had some trouble uploading the files to my site.
The image files and installation instructions can be obtained from my website
Have fun!
Does any one have this working on a sl-6000 yet? I have been trying using the sd instructions w/ Angstrom but with no success.
"Garbage In Garbage out"

1- Sl-6000l Tosa.. sharp rom/ OpenZaurus/Angstrom (whichever I feel like)
1- SL-3200 Open Zaurus
0- sl-5000d _died young

Android Zaurus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 11:24:15 pm »
A hacker in Japan successfully runs m5-rc14 on C700! His blog is written in Japanese, so I translated roughly.

o Android Zaurus: Android m5-rc14 on Zaurus C700

Very interesting news here is, frame buffer driver of C700 (w100fb.c) doesn't have double buffer support. Double buffer may not be mandatory for some cases. I'll update if there's any progress.

Cheers,

Android Zaurus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 04:56:56 am »
Finally, touchscreen driver has been fixed. Now touchscreen works correctly.

Android Zaurus: Touchscreen works!
http://androidzaurus.seesaa.net/article/96581331.html

A reader of my blog has done a great job! Big thanks to Rebecca.

Cheers,

matthis

• View Profile
    • http://badaboum.bidibom.free.fr/mat/
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 07:16:31 pm »
If anyone feels in a generous mood, could we have a new android image?
Thanks

matthis