Author Topic: Goodbye Zaurus World !  (Read 457992 times)

jpmatrix

• View Profile
    • http://matrixmen.free.fr
Goodbye Zaurus World !
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 04:27:52 pm »
Quote from: ArchiMark
Quote from: BarryW
Hey jp, are there any user forums like this one for the u810??

Yes, over at UMPCPortal.com.....

although i m not sure that umpcportal is as good as oesf
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  
**ex-Zaurus SL-C3000 owner with Debian kernel 2.6.24-yonggun

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Goodbye Zaurus World !
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 05:34:02 pm »
Quote from: jpmatrix

Well, didn't say that it was.....

Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

BarryW

• View Profile
    • http://
Goodbye Zaurus World !
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 06:21:59 pm »

Okay, I thought that was you guys over there.  That's an awful lot of things you changed on your there ArchiMark.  
What's this button do??

C3100
Distro changes almost weekly...

C3200
Distro also changes almost weekly...  :)

Hardware hacks and stuff.

adf

• View Profile
Goodbye Zaurus World !
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 02:50:37 am »
Bye JP.  Hope you stick around on the forums to discuss portable linux.
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

Snappy

• View Profile
Goodbye Zaurus World !
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 12:11:19 pm »
Quote from: mfbrown
Hope you don't regret selling your Z like I did....

i don't think so, at least for now
but who knows, in 3 - 4 years, perhaps there will be a device between the Z and the U1010, as pocketable as the zaurus and as powerfull as the u1010......perhaps it will be a MID.....

actually screen size is an issue, if you want a pocketable device with a 1024x600 touchscreen, a hdd and a keyboard... look here for a comparison :

http://www.umpcportal.com/products/compare...6,152,184%5D%5D

there are even devices like the Aigo or the BenQ with a 4"8 1024x600! so .................

Surely the most important aspect of all in the specs is instant-on?  A pocket device with a significant boot time is just a pain.  And this rules out all current UMPCs as far as I'm concerned.  Zaurus is only option to include a decent keyboard as far as I know.
Mark

Exactly!

I concur completely!  If I were one of those research think tank fellas or OS dev guys, instanton would be the number one thing to develop ... not fancy aero skin, 3d desktop ...

Granted, instanton prob requires hw/fw/sw to work in unison.

UMPC makers, give us instanton already!  
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-C1000 with Cacko 1.23 full
Accessories: Wifi XI-825 CF  |  16GB (6) SDHC (Transcend) | 1GB 80x CF (RiDATA PRO-2) </span>

Collie (Sandbox)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-5500 with OZ/GPE 3.5.4.1 alpha3 build 2006-04-27
Accessories: 512MB A-Data SD | 64MB Toshiba SD</span>

mfbrown

• View Profile
Goodbye Zaurus World !
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 02:03:33 pm »
Quote from: Snappy

but who knows, in 3 - 4 years, perhaps there will be a device between the Z and the U1010, as pocketable as the zaurus and as powerfull as the u1010......perhaps it will be a MID.....

actually screen size is an issue, if you want a pocketable device with a 1024x600 touchscreen, a hdd and a keyboard... look here for a comparison :

there are even devices like the Aigo or the BenQ with a 4"8 1024x600! so .................

Surely the most important aspect of all in the specs is instant-on?  A pocket device with a significant boot time is just a pain.  And this rules out all current UMPCs as far as I'm concerned.  Zaurus is only option to include a decent keyboard as far as I know.
Mark

Exactly!

I concur completely!  If I were one of those research think tank fellas or OS dev guys, instanton would be the number one thing to develop ... not fancy aero skin, 3d desktop ...

Thanks for support - even size is less important to me than instant on, and sometimes even a Psion netBook seems attractive.  Although the difference in thickness between a C860 with small battery and a 3100 makes all the difference to my pocket comfort!
Mark

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Goodbye Zaurus World !
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 11:36:24 am »
sometimes even a Psion netBook seems attractive

the netbook, at least the highest spec models, did seem very attractive, but they were hugely expensive - when I considered one a few years ago they were going for very high prices on ebay.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Snappy

• View Profile
Goodbye Zaurus World !
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 09:32:10 am »

Mark

Exactly!

Thanks for support - even size is less important to me than instant on, and sometimes even a Psion netBook seems attractive.  Although the difference in thickness between a C860 with small battery and a 3100 makes all the difference to my pocket comfort!
Mark

well ... I almost gave up and started using a psion revo!   ... for that matter, if the zaurus was not instanton as it is, no linux or web browser would make me continue using it.

Quote from: speculatrix
sometimes even a Psion netBook seems attractive

the netbook, at least the highest spec models, did seem very attractive, but they were hugely expensive - when I considered one a few years ago they were going for very high prices on ebay.

aye ... I also considered netbook for awhile, but the price was simply too prohibitive.  The eeepc definitely fit in nicely where the netbook could have had but could not.

For some reason, I am still trying to get the apps in my eeepc to be as effective as my zaurus ... and perhaps my notebook. Still trying ... ... when that happens ... my zaurus would likely be decommissioned as well.  
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)
Accessories: Wifi XI-825 CF  |  16GB (6) SDHC (Transcend) | 1GB 80x CF (RiDATA PRO-2) </span>

Collie (Sandbox)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-5500 with OZ/GPE 3.5.4.1 alpha3 build 2006-04-27

jpmatrix

• View Profile
Goodbye Zaurus World !
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 10:16:40 am »
For some reason, I am still trying to get the apps in my eeepc to be as effective as my zaurus ... and perhaps my notebook. Still trying ... ... when that happens ... my zaurus would likely be decommissioned as well.  

as always, it depends on what you're looking for
the eeepc, unlike the zaurus (and the fujitsu!) doesn't have a rotating touchscreen for example...
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  

Snappy

• View Profile
Goodbye Zaurus World !
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 11:31:36 am »

the eeepc, unlike the zaurus (and the fujitsu!) doesn't have a rotating touchscreen for example...

Aye ... and after all these time with the rotating screen, I find myself using the zaurus in clampshell mode mostly.
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)

Collie (Sandbox)

jpmatrix

• View Profile
Goodbye Zaurus World !
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 11:55:43 am »

Aye ... and after all these time with the rotating screen, I find myself using the zaurus in clampshell mode mostly.

well. it mostly depends on what you are doing and where... You know what? I've just typed this text With the stylUs ! the recognition tool is terrible on thé Fujitsu !/
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Goodbye Zaurus World !
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2008, 04:21:09 pm »

Okay, I thought that was you guys over there.  That's an awful lot of things you changed on your there ArchiMark.  

I assume that you mean my U810, BarryW???

If so, just swapped out the HD to a 100GB, got the Fujitsu executive leather case, and a screen protector, installed Debian....upgraded from Vista Biz to XPT.....

Now, working on LFS.....LinuxFromScratch...

Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/