Author Topic: Recommended Distro For Collie  (Read 7305 times)

Hellmark

• View Profile
Recommended Distro For Collie
« on: March 22, 2008, 01:51:07 pm »
Since OZ is dead, and the current install on my collie being messed up (from the get go, things never really worked quite right on it when I dropped 3.5.4 on it), I'm wanting to drop something on it, but not sure of my options.

Angstrom, OZ's successor, doesn't really support the Collie. List of decently broken things, and no official support. But are things that bad off?

Cacko's website appears to be no more (squatters have the domain), so can't grab it there, and the ZUG's download section appears to be broken (it loads up the main portion of the downloads, no matter what category I click on, and direct links followed from other sites to downloads do the same). Anyone know the deal on where to get it?

Outside of these two, I really have no clue. Personally, all I ever do on my collie is play Doom (with prboom), use Gaim and a IRC client (although not much), messing around on the commandline, ebook reading, text editing, and basic PIM. What options do I have for a 5500 now?

tux

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 08:41:29 pm »
Quote from: Hellmark
Since OZ is dead, and the current install on my collie being messed up (from the get go, things never really worked quite right on it when I dropped 3.5.4 on it), I'm wanting to drop something on it, but not sure of my options.

Angstrom, OZ's successor, doesn't really support the Collie. List of decently broken things, and no official support. But are things that bad off?

Cacko's website appears to be no more (squatters have the domain), so can't grab it there, and the ZUG's download section appears to be broken (it loads up the main portion of the downloads, no matter what category I click on, and direct links followed from other sites to downloads do the same). Anyone know the deal on where to get it?

Outside of these two, I really have no clue. Personally, all I ever do on my collie is play Doom (with prboom), use Gaim and a IRC client (although not much), messing around on the commandline, ebook reading, text editing, and basic PIM. What options do I have for a 5500 now?
 tkcrom with the home on sd script. If you search the 5500 forum you'll find a site to download it from. If you look you'll also find an initrd that allows SD cards greater than 2GB.

In the same place you'll find an inird that lets the Sharp rom use the home on SD script and also break the SD limit.  

It is a shame about the download section: I think it is up to dz finding the files and the time to sort out the ZUG entry point to these forums etc.  

Cheers
3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
SL860 Cacko 1.23 full, new SDHC >2GB module,
6000L SharpRom 1.12 + Tetsu kernel,
5500 TKC home on SD x 2 (with SD>1GB),
Archos PMA30 with OPEN PMA (Giraffe),
Nokia 770 (Hackers Edition)
Nokia 800 (ITOS 2008), 4GB SDHC x 2
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Tmobile HTC Wildfire.. rooted and on Cyanogen's 7.3 nightly Rom
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

All the above are retired

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

Hellmark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 01:18:43 am »
The links I found (such as zaurus.spy.org and at thekompany.com) 404 or something of that nature. The rest are for stuff at ZUG.

jocasmi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 05:43:19 pm »
I can send you a pm with the rom attached in a zip file, if you have any trouble.

The home on SD patch is pinned in the sl-5500 subforum.

Let me know, if you need it.
SL-C3200 Sharp Rom, Meanie's X/QT and Pocket Workstation
Wifi Linksys WCF12, SD 1GB Kingston (Ellite Pro)

SL-5500S Cacko Crow 30/30 home on SD
SD 1GB Kingston (the good one)
CF 1GB Kingston

Juanjo Santiso
Barcelona
EU

HearWa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 02:12:07 pm »
Quote from: tux
Quote from: Hellmark

tkcrom with the home on sd script. If you search the 5500 forum you'll find a site to download it from. If you look you'll also find an initrd that allows SD cards greater than 2GB.

In the same place you'll find an inird that lets the Sharp rom use the home on SD script and also break the SD limit.  

It is a shame about the download section: I think it is up to dz finding the files and the time to sort out the ZUG entry point to these forums etc.  

Cheers
What he said. I have the exact same configuration (with a 512MB SD card for my home).

For software repositories, add these two lines to /etc/ipkg.conf:
src opiefeed https://www.oesf.org/howto/feed/
src alohavillage http://alohavillage.com/zaurus/feed/
Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 +
Sanded (600 grit) and polished (RB-538) to be black +
Open Zaurus 3.5.2, Opie-image (64-0) +
Sandisk 128MB SD Card, Verbatim 128MB CF Card +
10 Base Ethernet Card, 802.11b Wireless CF Card +
Generic leather PDA case =
One happy geek!

jocasmi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 09:00:08 am »
Very useful information. Thanks a lot.
SL-C3200 Sharp Rom, Meanie's X/QT and Pocket Workstation
Wifi Linksys WCF12, SD 1GB Kingston (Ellite Pro)

SL-5500S Cacko Crow 30/30 home on SD
SD 1GB Kingston (the good one)
CF 1GB Kingston

Juanjo Santiso
Barcelona
EU