3 (42.9%)
1GB
2 (28.6%)
2GB
2 (28.6%)
Other (please specify in post)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: How Much Ram Is In Your Eee Pc?  (Read 7848 times)

ZDevil

• View Profile
    • http://
How Much Ram Is In Your Eee Pc?
« on: April 03, 2008, 03:49:53 pm »
I wonder how much RAM the fellow Eee PC folks here are using in their buddies.

Today I put off the temptation of adding more memory by buying a cheap 2GB RAM.
And wow... it does make quite a difference in actual speed. Just run Synaptics and I can really tell by my eyes how faster this clumsy app runs now.

How about yours? Does it make a difference too, and how?

Life is too precious for hacking *too much*
Visit my Z screencap gallery[/color]
My EeePC 701 Black = Debian (Lenny) on IceRocks + Transcend SDHC Class6 8GB + 2GB RAM
My Zaurus SL-C3200 = Debian EABI (kernel 2.6.24.3-yonggun) on a swapped internal Sandisk Extreme III CF 16gb
My Debian EABI feed: http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/debian/
My OpenBSD/Zaurus feeds:  Link1, Link2
[/i][/font][/color][/size]

Tom61

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 06:30:07 pm »
I've upgraded to 1GB, because I was thinking about using VMWare Player to emulate Windows, and it was cheap at Staples. I've not noticed any real difference in speed, though I haven't done much in Synaptic since then. Prior to getting the 1GB stick, it had ground to a halt a couple of times trying to unload and reload libraries when it ran out of memory.

Snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 02:20:27 pm »
2gb .... running vanilla xandros ... so far so good.
Installed abiword ... thinking of dumping ooffice.

I use firefox quite exclusively everyday ... word, excel and ppt are the other apps I use frequently as well, in order.  gnumeric is next ... ppt -> still need to find a replacement.

Oh, and besides being rather fast with 2gb, did I mention someone mistaken it for a mac?  ... eyeballs dropping when they heard that it's only $300+ US.

Was thinking of trying vista 'cos I got a retail vista premium basic sitting around ...
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-C1000 with Cacko 1.23 full
Accessories: Wifi XI-825 CF  |  16GB (6) SDHC (Transcend) | 1GB 80x CF (RiDATA PRO-2) </span>

Collie (Sandbox)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-5500 with OZ/GPE 3.5.4.1 alpha3 build 2006-04-27
Accessories: 512MB A-Data SD | 64MB Toshiba SD</span>

tux

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 03:21:50 pm »
 I put a cheap 1GB stick into my machine. I run Xandros(Asus version) off the SSD and dual boot off the SDHC card. I have had no problems with locking up since increasing the ram. I used occasionally to have to do resets before the upgrade.

Cheers

3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
SL860 Cacko 1.23 full, new SDHC >2GB module,
6000L SharpRom 1.12 + Tetsu kernel,
5500 TKC home on SD x 2 (with SD>1GB),
Archos PMA30 with OPEN PMA (Giraffe),
Nokia 770 (Hackers Edition)
Nokia 800 (ITOS 2008), 4GB SDHC x 2
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Tmobile HTC Wildfire.. rooted and on Cyanogen's 7.3 nightly Rom
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

All the above are retired

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

Snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 09:33:57 am »
tux, I was gonna ask u about the distro u are running off your SDHC, but saw that you are using Ubuntu.  So how is the hw compat for ubuntu on eeepc?  All hw working?  ACPI?  Cold/warm Boot time?  Video res, rotation etc?

... you do have quite a list of devices!
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-C1000 with Cacko 1.23 full
Accessories: Wifi XI-825 CF  |  16GB (6) SDHC (Transcend) | 1GB 80x CF (RiDATA PRO-2) </span>

Collie (Sandbox)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-5500 with OZ/GPE 3.5.4.1 alpha3 build 2006-04-27
Accessories: 512MB A-Data SD | 64MB Toshiba SD</span>

scheck.r

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 01:54:36 pm »
Currently using 512Mo of RAM in an eeeXubuntu set up, I find it okay for most things except for browsing websites that use flash intensively and of course when compiling. I also experiment with Pupeee(based on puppy linux 3.01 with eeepc drivers) booting from SD and running totally in RAM. That is incredibly fast.
How is battery life using 2Go of RAM ?
SL-C1000 from PriceJapan(cheap and very fast shipping) with EA-70 power adapter, iRiver USB Host cable, PDAIR case, pentopia stylus, ultra clear screen-protector from shop.brando.com.hk only $3 for shipping worldwide
4GB Hitachi Microdrive, 1GB Kingston Elite Pro CF, 4GB Transcend 150x SD, Symbol Spectrum 4137 CF WiFi(low power)
PdaXrom pdaxii13 5.4.9 updated with Kkazakov13's feed. I owned a SL-6000L before

tux

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 02:58:38 pm »
Quote from: Snappy
tux, I was gonna ask u about the distro u are running off your SDHC, but saw that you are using Ubuntu.  So how is the hw compat for ubuntu on eeepc?  All hw working?  ACPI?  Cold/warm Boot time?  Video res, rotation etc?

... you do have quite a list of devices!
 I used the scripts from the ubuntu-eee wiki and apart from the over clocking thing, everything seems to work fine. As far as I can work out, I need to use a patched kernel for the over clocking to work.  

The function keys work, wifi, brightness mute volume... Because I am dual booting the menus offers me the choice to boot into Xandros or to check the SSD partitions. There seem to be two choices for making sure the wifi works in ubuntu. If you use the scripts, it does it all for you and seems to use the asus driver. I have installed and use the latest madwifi ones. I'm not noticing any differences in operation. I am aware that an upgrade to the kernel means I need to remake the madwifi modules!!!

Video resolution is 800 x 640 and the scripts tweak the font sizes on the desktop and in the terminal to be more convenient for the small screen. I also use the LittleFox theme and the F11 key works to give full screen. I also put the hide buttons on the panels: that makes it seem a bit roomier.

I have installed FBreader and the rotation option just works: quite impressive for reading with!

At the moment I am still trying to persuade Debian to work from an SD card by directly booting from the card: using the ESC option. If I persuade it to do that I'm going to do the same for Ubuntu on the 16GB card and swap the card out if I want to use Xandros with the rapid boot ( nearly instant on) or to try another distro on another card or stick.

I have not taken a stopwatch to check boot times but the eeepc boots into Ubuntu a few seconds slower than my desktop. YMMV. I haven't yet tried to do any fine tuning.

I have been using swap on the 16GB card with Ubuntu but I keep reading that it doesn't improve performance if you have at least 1GB ram. So I'll run without swap and see if that is true for me.

Cheers  

Yes, I am addicted to these gadgets aren't I?   Still they do seem to teach me more about linux than the desktop and ordinary laptops.... I suppose it is because you can easily break the setup and have to learn how to restore them!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 03:00:48 pm by tux »
3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
SL860 Cacko 1.23 full, new SDHC >2GB module,
6000L SharpRom 1.12 + Tetsu kernel,
5500 TKC home on SD x 2 (with SD>1GB),
Archos PMA30 with OPEN PMA (Giraffe),
Nokia 770 (Hackers Edition)
Nokia 800 (ITOS 2008), 4GB SDHC x 2
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Tmobile HTC Wildfire.. rooted and on Cyanogen's 7.3 nightly Rom
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

All the above are retired

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!