Author Topic: Used Zaurus, Password Unknown  (Read 8930 times)

zoomy

• View Profile
Used Zaurus, Password Unknown
« on: April 13, 2008, 07:16:49 pm »
Hi,

I have a customer who has given me a great challenge.  He picked up a Zaurus c860 off eBay, but the seller doesn't remember the login.  I have scoured the internet, and found the user's manual; from there I was able to perform the hard reset, but it still boots to a username/password prompt.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks,
Tim.

stupkid

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 01:40:00 am »
If you intend to use the device why not just re-load the ROM image?  The only reason I can think to get around another person's security on a device would be to compromise their data.

Zaurus SL-C3200 pdaXii13v2 5.5 / Ambicom WC1100C-CF / Socket Bluetooth Rev G

OpenMoko FreeRunner - Running Tweaked OM2008.x Image

zoomy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 02:11:03 am »
Quote from: stupkid
If you intend to use the device why not just re-load the ROM image?  The only reason I can think to get around another person's security on a device would be to compromise their data.

Thanks for your advice.  I thought I was fairly clear about the circumstances; the device was sold to my client via eBay, and the seller had forgotten his login credentials, therefore the new owner is unable to use the device.  Anyhow, how do you reload the ROM image?

zoomy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 09:22:24 am »
having already reset the device, probably all I need is the default username and password, but i cannot find this anywhere in the documentation.

tovarish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 01:48:16 pm »
just a hard reset wont do, you need to install a rom again. google for cacko rom and install it on your client's zaurus. cacko rom provides the best compatibility to the original sharp rom with lots of new features.
alternately you can do a nand restore.  you can get the nand restore file here http://downloads.conics.net/pda/zaurus-sl-...iginal-backups/

zoomy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 07:22:22 pm »
Quote from: tovarish
just a hard reset wont do, you need to install a rom again. google for cacko rom and install it on your client's zaurus. cacko rom provides the best compatibility to the original sharp rom with lots of new features.
alternately you can do a nand restore.  you can get the nand restore file here http://downloads.conics.net/pda/zaurus-sl-...iginal-backups/

Thanks very much for the info.  I found the "cacko rom" page, but couldn't find anything compatible with the c860.  so I went to the other link you provided, downloaded the ROM update, and copied it to the SD card (I have no idea if this is the correct procedure, I should mention).

Now, not sure what I am doing exactly, but here are the steps I took:

1. Removed battery, then put it back
2. Plugged in power, then held down OK key and power button simultaneously
3. On the screen presented, chose option 4 (Flash/Update) as per PDF manual I am using
4. Chose the SD option, then went ahead with the update.  Seemed to be going as expected, but...
5. AAARRGGHH!  Boots to user login again, no change.

Please help me!  I have never used one of these things, and I have been hired to fix it, but finding no joy.

zoomy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 07:30:28 pm »
I just did it again and watched carefully for errors.  I don't have the exact syntax here, because I didn't have time to write it down exactly, but the error said something like:

/mnt/card/$UPDATE shell not found!!

I am new to Linux and its peculiarities, so I would appreciate some handholding for the correct procedure to follow.

Thanks,
Tim.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 07:39:20 pm by zoomy »

tux

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 03:21:14 am »
 There are all sorts of possible problems with flashing roms or restoring  a nand image. Make sure that the CF card or SD card that you are using has FAT format (FAT16 for preference).

Here is a link to the 860 section on the Trisoft site, 860 restore. What you need are the nand files and to follow the correct procedure for getting into the diagnostic menu. (The backup/restore files might be useful for later insurance when you have the Z working.)

It is much easier to use the power up press OK method. You could use the  Cacko roms for which you need the 860 files from either Speculatrix's site, Speculatrix Downloads or from this site Linuxtogo.  

Hope this helps.
3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
SL860 Cacko 1.23 full, new SDHC >2GB module,
6000L SharpRom 1.12 + Tetsu kernel,
5500 TKC home on SD x 2 (with SD>1GB),
Archos PMA30 with OPEN PMA (Giraffe),
Nokia 770 (Hackers Edition)
Nokia 800 (ITOS 2008), 4GB SDHC x 2
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Tmobile HTC Wildfire.. rooted and on Cyanogen's 7.3 nightly Rom
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

All the above are retired

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

deluxe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 09:14:06 am »
i've often heard the advice that the SD or CF card be formatted Fat16 for flashing purposes. All I have to add is that i've flashed cacko 3 times without any issues, using a FAT32 formatted CF card.
Neill Currie
Hillsborough
Nh, USA.
---------
SL-C3100, Cacko "heavy" ROM.
SL-C1000, Cacko "heavy" ROM.
A SL-5500 with TKrom.
Ambicom and Symbol CF wifi, 8gb Seagate Microdrive, <4gb Transcend SD. Assorted other digital detritus.
---------
Owner of a Nokia n810 Internet Tablet.
Also a Nokia n800, and a 4th generation iPod Touch.
---------

Chero

• View Profile
    • http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/Chero
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 11:20:52 am »
Hi,

I'd recommend a NAND restore.
If the device has been running pdaX with a 121Mb root or some kind of debian a normal flash won't work.

Chero.
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
March 12 2009 : Back because the Zaurus is one of a kind.
SL-C760 : pdaXrom
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

zoomy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 01:00:33 pm »
Yahoo!  Got it working.  

Next problem:  I have a Socket Communications Wireless LAN card (CF).  I am now beginning my quest to find a driver for it, but if any of you out there can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks to all who've been reading this post, especially Tux who provided the sites for downloading the Cacko firmware.  

Tim.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 01:13:09 pm by zoomy »

zmiq2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 01:30:02 pm »
I got this one and it's perfectly supported.

Driver should automagicaaly load when you insert the card into the cf slot. When you insert the card, does any led on it start blinking?
sl-c750, archos av580, socket cf [bt, wifi, modem], noname cf lan, audiovox rtm800 gsm-gprs cf, rom: sharp -> oz3.5.3 -> cacko -> oz3.5.4.1

zoomy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 10:16:36 pm »
Quote from: zmiq2
I got this one and it's perfectly supported.

Driver should automagicaaly load when you insert the card into the cf slot. When you insert the card, does any led on it start blinking?

You were correct, the driver DID automagically install, and now I have a working Zaurus to hand back to my client.  Just brilliant, thanks to you all for helping.  One last thing, he is asking for a good HTML editor to use on this thing, is there a good place to find applications for Cacko?

Tim.