Author Topic: Obsd Packetsniffer? Tcpdump?  (Read 6833 times)

Wildherb

• View Profile
Obsd Packetsniffer? Tcpdump?
« on: October 06, 2008, 06:06:53 pm »
While I"m very happy that so many security and network apps are available for OBSD, I'm struggling to find a packet sniffer such as the ubiqutous tcpdump.

I believe that wireshark (ethereal) has been dropped from OBSD because of security concerns but surely there must be some way of knowing what's on the wire? What do other people use?
C3000 running OpenBSD 4.4
C3100 running OpenZaurus

Lance

• View Profile
    • http://pages.suddenlink.net/nitch-z
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 09:13:43 pm »
Quote from: Wildherb
While I"m very happy that so many security and network apps are available for OBSD, I'm struggling to find a packet sniffer such as the ubiqutous tcpdump.

I believe that wireshark (ethereal) has been dropped from OBSD because of security concerns but surely there must be some way of knowing what's on the wire? What do other people use?

There's a package called bsd-airtools.  That may have what you're talking about.
SL-C3000 - OpenBSD 4.2 (GENERIC) #168: Tue Aug 28
CF Wireless LAN card: wi0
SL-6000L - original sharp rom
SL-C760 - openzaurus 3.5.4
Desktop: OpenBSD 4.1 (GENERIC)

Wildherb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 07:35:48 pm »
Quote from: Lance

There's a package called bsd-airtools.  That may have what you're talking about.

Thanks Lance, I've installed bsd-airtools but all I can find is layer 2 (kismet style) functionality. Tcpdump allows you to 'sniff the wire' at > layer 3. I've found trafshow to be useful but still I miss basic, popular opens source tools and it is very frustrating not to have them in what is otherwise a very well equipped distro. Who makes up the rules?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 03:06:40 am by Wildherb »
C3100 running OpenZaurus

Lance

• View Profile
    • http://pages.suddenlink.net/nitch-z
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 12:27:17 am »

Thanks Lance, I've installed bsd-airtools but all I can find is layer 2 (kismet style) functionality. Tcpdump allows you to 'sniff the wire' at > layer 3. I've found trafshow to be useful but still I miss basic, popular opens source tools and it is very frustrating not to have them in what is otherwise a very well equipped distro. Who makes up the rules?

I'm not a big network person, so I don't really know that much about tcpdump or any other networking tools.  I mainly use OpenBSD on my  desktop workstation.  Is the tcpdump in the base install of OpenBSD not the same as what you're used to doing with tcpdump in other distributions?
SL-C3000 - OpenBSD 4.2 (GENERIC) #168: Tue Aug 28
CF Wireless LAN card: wi0
SL-6000L - original sharp rom
SL-C760 - openzaurus 3.5.4
Desktop: OpenBSD 4.1 (GENERIC)

Wildherb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 09:05:45 am »
I'm not a big network person, so I don't really know that much about tcpdump or any other networking tools.  I mainly use OpenBSD on my  desktop workstation.  Is the tcpdump in the base install of OpenBSD not the same as what you're used to doing with tcpdump in other distributions?

Lance, my apologies to you and to the board. Tcpdump is already there in /usr/sbin. I cant think why I couldnt find it earlier - perhaps I had a path problem or perhaps I just need a new pair of spectacles!
C3100 running OpenZaurus