Author Topic: Zocalo Web Feed Reader (sharp Rom)  (Read 53077 times)

xamindar

• View Profile
    • http://www.radnimax.com
Zocalo Web Feed Reader (sharp Rom)
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2010, 06:13:18 am »
Quote from: jakfish
in the event of a crash or failed recovery, I can copy over the directory and maybe get lucky.

Jake
Tell me about it. I just got through changing all my passwords on all my important internet accounts and saving them in the kpassword manager on my zaurus a few days ago. I decided to reboot my zaurus yesterday and when it came up my background was back on default and none of my pim applications had any info in them anymore. Rebooted back into debian and ran an fsck on the hard drive and for some reason it was almost totally corrupted. It seems that every file that I modified in the past month was corrupted beyond use.

So now I have to hope most of those new passwords are saved in firefox on my pc. At least the email ones are so I should be able to use the reset services of my bank and such to get it fixed. But what a hassle, hours of organization deleted.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 06:14:01 am by xamindar »
SL-C3100 happily Dualbooting Japanese Rom 1.02 and Debian Eabi
Replaced internal CF with 8gb seagate cf hard drive
Ambicom CF GPS
CyberPower battery powered USB hub
D-link DCF-650W (MAN THIS THING IS HUGE!!)

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2010, 09:41:21 am »
That's a terrible story.  And if your stuff is blown out a month back, I assume that you've got no viable backup to turn to.

Here's hoping you find what you need in your pc/browsers,
Jake
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:41:51 am by jakfish »

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2010, 10:03:26 pm »
Hi, koan,

Just a follow-up to our discussion about full-text rss feeds.

This site http://www.iwebrss.com/ does the trick.  In Zocalo, I changed the beginning of my feeds accordingly and I can get full news articles.

http://fivefilters.org/content-only/ is also good.  Its freeware limit is 4 complete articles per rss site.  I will sometimes have to sync Zocalo via bluetooth (or IrDA) and my Nokia E90, so fivefilters is good for these types of slow data transmissions.

For a later version, I was wondering if you might change preferences in GUI to allow for 24pt font choice.  I can change it to 24 in the zocalo.conf, but it might be nice to have the choice in the drop-down menu, too.

Too, is there a way to use Helvetica Bold in Zocalo?

Also, can I assume that ttf fonts won't work in Zocalo?  I have an arial.ttf that I use in TextMaker without its conversion to qbf, but I'm almost positive that arial won't play nice with any other app.

Jake

koan

• View Profile
    • http://www.lyndonhill.com
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2010, 04:39:59 am »
Just a follow-up to our discussion about full-text rss feeds.

There is no such thing as a "full text" RSS feed. It is up to the website editor or CMS script to generate the feed; they can put whatever they like into it.

Thanks for the links, I hope other Zocalo users find them useful.

I briefly considered adding support for Google Reader, as a way to back up subscribed feeds. However, their API is private so it's not possible.

For a later version, I was wondering if you might change preferences in GUI to allow for 24pt font choice.

Yes, I will try.

Another option for you is to link or rename the 240 QPF file with another size, then it will be available to the whole system.

Too, is there a way to use Helvetica Bold in Zocalo?

I don't know about supporting font styles. I will look into it. If you install a Helvetica Bold font I am sure it will appear. The font selector queries the system for available fonts.

Also, can I assume that ttf fonts won't work in Zocalo?

TTF are not supported by Qtopia (by default).

You can download or make your own QPF for the font you want.

I'm almost positive that arial won't play nice with any other app.

Why not ? I have made a QPF from the Arial Unicode font. Screenshot 1, 2
Zocalo Feed Reader : Thai on Zaurus : Dictionaries for zbedic : Sharp ROM package feed
HELUX Handheld Embedded Linux Blog
SL-C3200 Multiboot : SL-C750  Sharp ROM

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2010, 09:54:40 am »
Thanks again for another fast response.  Helvetica bold appears to be already installed in Trisoft ROM.  In HancomWord, users can bold Helvetica (not true with the other qpf font choices), so there could be a handle to jiggle somewhere.  In zocalo.conf, I tried changing "family = helvetica" to "family = helvetica bold" (an old Windows CE trick) which went nowhere.

My apologies for not being clearer: I mean that an arial.ttf font probably won't play nice anywhere except in TextMaker.  I've made a diligent search, but haven't found a site that has arial fonts (qpf) for download.  Could you point me in the right direction?

Jake

koan

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2010, 05:50:52 pm »
In zocalo.conf, I tried changing "family = helvetica" to "family = helvetica bold" (an old Windows CE trick) which went nowhere.

It wouldn't work for applying bold style to an existing helvetica font.

I've made a diligent search, but haven't found a site that has arial fonts (qpf) for download.  Could you point me in the right direction?

I think you have to make your own. Only Microsoft would be able to make a QPF version of Arial available. What is it about the font that you like so much, surely there is a free alternative that is good enough ?
Zocalo Feed Reader : Thai on Zaurus : Dictionaries for zbedic : Sharp ROM package feed

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2010, 08:36:51 am »
I guess since I use arial in all my documents, I look for it elsewhere as well.  I've been looking at your nice tahoma qpf, but am a little worried about your warning of its memory-eating.  If I don't use tahoma as a system font, is it still as intensive?

One thing about article-clearing in zocalo (SL-C1000/trisoft rom): clearing/saving will remove them, but the articles come right back after a restart of zocalo.  In the /zocalo directory, I can see that the file size is unchanged despite the clearing.

Jake

koan

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2010, 11:19:31 am »
I've been looking at your nice tahoma qpf, but am a little worried about your warning of its memory-eating.  If I don't use tahoma as a system font, is it still as intensive?

I don't think it will be a big problem for you. It takes up more space in storage. Unless you are already at the limits, you probably won't notice.

One thing about article-clearing in zocalo (SL-C1000/trisoft rom): clearing/saving will remove them, but the articles come right back after a restart of zocalo.

That should not happen. I will check this. The files will not be removed, but they should be the minimum size and there should be no articles after restart - only empty feeds.

Edit: Yes, it's a small bug. The memory is cleared but not the files. It'll be fixed in the next release.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 03:29:21 pm by koan »

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2010, 11:26:33 am »
Let me know what I can test.

Jake

koan

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2010, 04:46:49 am »
Hi Guys,

Zocalo 2.0 is available. I was planning to do some work on the curl interface so that Zocalo would use multiple connections to download feeds. This would mitigate the problem with one feed failing causing the others to be blocked. However, I realised that this would take a lot longer to test and debug so in the mean time I have made this version.

I hope I have addressed all the points.
1. The Continue All dialog will automatically close after 10 seconds. (screenshot)
2. Font size selector is dynamically updated to whatever sizes are available. (screenshot)
3. Fonts can be set to bold and/or italic if the font supports it. The default Helvetica font will support these changes IIRC but some fonts won't. (screenshot)
4. Article store will be cleared from disk properly.

As I dug into the code I also found some other bugs or inconsistencies. Atom feeds are now better supported, previously I accidentally filtered out all HTML from articles in Atom but now I have enabled the articles to run through my parser so that only unsupported entities are stripped. Also I didn't realise that Atom category tags were being ignored so I have added those in.

One change that you should watch for: I changed the internal feed status code so that it now counts how many times a feed has failed to download. This means that the first time you run Zocalo 2.0 any feeds you added under previous versions will flag up as invalid and have the red status icon until you update them.

There is also a new version of curl and libidn. Contrary to one of my previous posts, I don't think the curl guys will add OpenAuth to curl. They consider it a layer on top; so if you were waiting for this it's not going to happen any time soon.

Finally, I started a proper Zaurus package feed that includes most of my software: http://www.lyndonhill.com/Downloads/Zaurus. In the Add/Remove Software application in QPE you can add this as a server for the Install via Network option.

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2010, 02:26:59 pm »
An excellent, excellent update.  All is well w/ the SL-C1000.

1) Zocolo loads faster

2) updates feeds faster

3) new font menu works

4) articles successfully cleared upon demand

The only problem is that the links you post in your last thread generate a Forbidden when clicked.  But that may be my browser's issue.

Congratulations,
Jake

koan

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2010, 02:47:25 pm »
Thanks. I can't take any credit for any speed increases. I didn't notice it myself; perhaps if you installed the new curl then there is some optimisation in there. If you mean the feed link at the end of my post, yes it gives a 403 if you click it but if you enter the URL into the Add/Remove Software program on your Zaurus it will read it and list the packages available.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

koan

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2013, 07:04:20 pm »
Zocalo 2.1 has been uploaded to my website.

New features:
- Navigate next/previous articles in article view using shift & up/down keys
- Save an article to a file

You may have guessed this was coming after seeing my recent updates to curl and other packages.

Since the last release, I think at the end of 2010, I have continued to use Zocalo but mainly on my PPC Debian machine using Qt 3. A while back I got into static code analysis using a tool called CppCheck and discovered some minor resource leaks and a few other issues I tidied up for good measure. I didn't think of making another release but recently I was asked to add some other features. The code is in good shape, considering my style has changed quite a lot since 2.0. Anyway, I found some other bugs which have now been fixed.

koan

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2014, 03:09:54 pm »
Zocalo 2.2 is now available.

There is a new option for automatic updates.
When you save an article, the link is appended to it.