Author Topic: Forcing Battery Charging¿?  (Read 9049 times)

brontoZaurus

• View Profile
Forcing Battery Charging¿?
« on: April 24, 2009, 06:52:45 am »
Hello friends, i have one C3000 and would like make one question to you,
how can i "make" charging the battery from the service menu (d+m)¿?
in page 2 there are 2 batt options

5. Low Battery
6.Batt Voltage Adjust
 6.1 Battery Voltage Adj
 6.2 Battery Voltage Check

and a charge option

10. Charge

how can i force batt charging

thanks in advance!!

utx

• View Profile
    • http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus/
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 07:10:37 am »
Quote from: brontoZaurus
10. Charge

Charge: Fast/Slow/Off forces charge settings.

Other options define behavior of automatic charging in kernel (at lest in Sharp ROM).

brontoZaurus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 07:36:22 am »
thanks man for the reponse, but my options are FULL / HALF / OFF
what means each option?
when could i know that is fully charged¿?
What parametersi have to look for¿?
BT-AD : 225  ¿??
BT-THM : 114  ¿??
how can i set to batt the state of fully charged??

thanks in advance and sorry for the questionary

utx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 08:34:45 am »
thanks man for the reponse, but my options are FULL / HALF / OFF
what means each option?
when could i know that is fully charged¿?
What parametersi have to look for¿?
BT-AD : 225  ¿??
BT-THM : 114  ¿??
how can i set to batt the state of fully charged??

FULL = turn fast charging current on, HALF = turn slow charging current on (pre-charge), OFF = charging off

Remaining values are values of internal A/D convertor for various charging threshold values. You should know what you are doing when altering them (BT-AD: voltage sensor fully charged threshold value, BT-THM: thermometer sensor calibration value at 25°C, JK-VAD: AC adapter voltage sensor calibrarion value). Warning: These three values don't provide charging information to you! You are defining here how the computer recognizes fully charged or overheated battery!

brontoZaurus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 05:04:27 am »
thanks but there is any way to know when the battery is fully charged?
leaving in full option for X hours?
in half then in full?¿

thanks & sorry for the inconvenience

utx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 12:36:59 pm »
thanks but there is any way to know when the battery is fully charged?
leaving in full option for X hours?
in half then in full?¿

There is no easy answer. It depends on initial level of discharge and battery condition and may vary between 2-15 hours.

Typical Li-ion charging algorithm uses constant voltage charging with variable current limit (when current is higher than the limit, it limits to the constant current). If cell temperature is low, charger uses high current, if temperature is high, charger switches to low current or off. Charger also monitors battery voltage. When charge current at constant voltage decreases below defined limit and voltage does not raise any more, battery is considered as fully charged.

Part of this algorithm is embedded into the charging circuit, the rest (current change depending on temperature control and voltage) is implemented in the kernel. See the datasheet (you can find it on my www pages; link in my signature).

brontoZaurus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 05:09:08 am »
thanks man!!!

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 06:29:32 pm »
be warned that overcharging your battery can damage it permanently; severely overcharging it can make it explode!
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

brontoZaurus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 10:28:54 am »
Quote from: speculatrix
be warned that overcharging your battery can damage it permanently; severely overcharging it can make it explode!

Ok, but then, what do you recomend for fully charging the battery?
Thanks in advance.

utx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 11:38:28 am »

Thanks in advance.

Boot, plug the external power supply and don't care. Internal charging electronics should be smart enough to prevent explosion. Orange LED is just an indicator, that charging IC is still active.

Note: Reading the charger IC datasheet, I considered not being exact while describing charge cycle: When the battery is deeply discharged (below 2.8V), slow charging (pre-charge) is used as well. When the battery reaches 2.8V, fast charge is enabled, when full charge is detected, it goes back to slow charging (termination current). CPU may externally terminate charge cycle.

See the datasheet on my Zaurus web pages.

brontoZaurus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 01:38:09 pm »
Quote from: utx

Thanks in advance.

Boot, plug the external power supply and don't care. Internal charging electronics should be smart enough to prevent explosion. Orange LED is just an indicator, that charging IC is still active.

Note: Reading the charger IC datasheet, I considered not being exact while describing charge cycle: When the battery is deeply discharged (below 2.8V), slow charging (pre-charge) is used as well. When the battery reaches 2.8V, fast charge is enabled, when full charge is detected, it goes back to slow charging (termination current). CPU may externally terminate charge cycle.

See the datasheet on my Zaurus web pages.

Ok, i'll take a read to it, thanks.
i really wanna know the best charging method to daily charging because i'm planing to buy 2 or 3 batteries and wanna long their life (sorry for my english)

utx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 04:24:14 pm »
i really wanna know the best charging method to daily charging because i'm planing to buy 2 or 3 batteries and wanna long their life (sorry for my english)

Well, this is not a problem of charging algorithm and hardware. It only performs: "charge quickly but safely" and "don't run into dangerous deep discharge". You should probably search on web pages with discussions about lithium-polymer rechargeable batteries life cycle. I cannot answer you. I use Zaurus as I want, not as my batteries would like to see.

Lithium-polymer batteries have problems with aging, even if they are not in use. Buying more batteries at once is a good idea only if you plan to spend longer time outside civilization. And even then, Zaurus is not comfortable device for battery swapping. It does not have back-up battery. You have to halt your Zaurus before battery swap (before battery goes out of power), then boot and set real time clock.