Author Topic: Android Possible On Sl-6000  (Read 16003 times)

AsLan^

• View Profile
    • http://
Android Possible On Sl-6000
« on: May 22, 2009, 01:48:10 am »
Sorry for not posting this in the Tosa forum but there's like 20 sticky threads in there so I figure it would probably be overlooked (and it is Android related too).

I would like to try getting Android on the 6000 but I'm not really sure how to go about doing it.

Do we have to use the Angstrom distribution kernel and put Android on top of it (like how cortez is doing it on the 3000)? Is there some way we can make an easy to flash distribution?

I'm not really sure where to start, and some things that might be obvious to others are unknown to me (for example, I can't figure out how to turn the tar.gz packages built by the Angstrom auto-builder into an installable image for my 6000) so I need help. But, I'm a pretty quick learner and if anyone's interested in helping me I'd like to give it a shot.

Android with Angstrom could be the modern OS that revives our 6000's and makes them useful again!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 08:13:45 am by AsLan^ »
doublethink.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 05:23:27 pm »
a cool idea. yeah, I'd start by installing the smallest angstrom image possible, then copying in the android rootfs, and using cortez's chroot method.

when you know that works, it should be possible to do away with chroot and simply merge the android directory hierarchy with angstrom

finally, use the D+M boot option to take a rom snapshop and publish
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

undrwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 11:09:40 pm »
I'll try this sometime soon.  Anything to keep this beautiful device fresh!

AsLan^

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 08:05:41 am »
Okay, I got it to the oscillating cylon eye but it doesn't go any further.

I first flashed a small Angstrom console image onto the device. Then I copied cortez's SL-C3x00 Android image to an ext2 formatted SD card (the image I used didn't recognize CF cards or ext3 format).

Then booted the Z and untarred the android image onto the card (I recommend using the -v switch with tar as it took about 3 hours).

Then I chrooted to /media/card

There is a shell script here called start. The first thing it does is tar up /dev and untar it to /home/root/android-root/dev. I performed this part of the script manually because I like to include the -v switch (then removed the doit placeholder file - take a look at the script).

I then ran the start script and it booted into the oscillating eye.

The version of Angstrom I'm using is 2007.12-r8 tosa console image. The Android I used was the  SL-C3x00 image from Omegamoon blog (but I don't know what version it is).

If anyone knows of a more functional Angstrom image for the Tosa that would help. The one I'm using has no wireless so I can't even ssh in.
doublethink.

AsLan^

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 08:16:48 am »
Quote from: speculatrix

I'm afraid I also don't know how to specify any boot options. I'm not running any kind of boot manager.
doublethink.

cortez

• View Profile
    • http://www.omegamoon.com
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 10:33:03 am »
Quote from: AsLan^
Quote from: speculatrix

I'm afraid I also don't know how to specify any boot options. I'm not running any kind of boot manager.

By "D+M boot option" speculatrix means the NAND Backup option in the Diagnostic (ROM) menu. To get there, use D+P+Reset, you will hear a beep and a graphical menu is shown. Scroll right with the D-pad until you are on page 4/4 and then there will be two options for NAND Backup, and NAND Restore.

The version you took from my blog actually is the M5-RC15 release, which was the last "early-look" version before version 1.0 was released. The fact that you see the "oscillating cylon eye" indicates that you've setup everything correctly. The reason Android doesn't boot is because you're kernel doesn't contain the Android Binder device driver.

Add the driver, rebuild and flash the kernel and you're all set. Sounds easy, but I know it's not
[div align=\"center\"]== == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
www.omegamoon.com
Zaurus SL-C750 - Died in a dreadful coffee experiment, has a second life somewhere in the Czech Republic
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Multiboot Zubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Poky, Android and others
Zaurus SL-C3100 - Development device, currently Zubuntu 2.0
Zaurus SL-6000L - The fridge is running Zubuntu 1.0
Zaurus SL-C860 - Cacko, untouched since kindly donated, waiting for Zubuntu
== == == == == == == == == == == == == ==[/div]

AsLan^

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 11:01:23 am »
Thank you for clarifying the NAND backup procedure.

Quote from: cortez
The version you took from my blog actually is the M5-RC15 release, which was the last "early-look" version before version 1.0 was released. The fact that you see the "oscillating cylon eye" indicates that you've setup everything correctly. The reason Android doesn't boot is because you're kernel doesn't contain the Android Binder device driver.

Add the driver, rebuild and flash the kernel and you're all set. Sounds easy, but I know it's not

It's good to hear that it's setup properly so far

Regarding rebuilding the kernel etc. does this mean I will have to set up bitbake? (I don't think Poky Linux has a build for the tosa).

Also, how do I go about getting the newer version of Android, is it just a matter of downloading the Android SDK and locating the tar.gz file? (getting ahead of myself )
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 11:03:24 am by AsLan^ »
doublethink.

cortez

• View Profile
    • http://www.omegamoon.com
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 04:58:17 pm »
Thank you for clarifying the NAND backup procedure.

It's good to hear that it's setup properly so far

Regarding rebuilding the kernel etc. does this mean I will have to set up bitbake? (I don't think Poky Linux has a build for the tosa).

Also, how do I go about getting the newer version of Android, is it just a matter of downloading the Android SDK and locating the tar.gz file? (getting ahead of myself )
Setting up bitbake (Poky or OpenEmbedded) is a good and quick option to get a working build environment. You could tweak one of the provided kernel packages easily to build a kernel for the tosa, even with the latest 2.6.30 sources. The latest kernel should work using stock kernel.org sources without the need for patches.

To get the latest Android version you could rip the file system from the emulator (as I did with the pre-releases) or rebuild it from source (as described here)
[div align=\"center\"]== == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
www.omegamoon.com
Zaurus SL-C750 - Died in a dreadful coffee experiment, has a second life somewhere in the Czech Republic
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Multiboot Zubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Poky, Android and others
Zaurus SL-C3100 - Development device, currently Zubuntu 2.0
Zaurus SL-6000L - The fridge is running Zubuntu 1.0
Zaurus SL-C860 - Cacko, untouched since kindly donated, waiting for Zubuntu
== == == == == == == == == == == == == ==[/div]

AsLan^

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 04:35:46 am »
Setting up bitbake (Poky or OpenEmbedded) is a good and quick option to get a working build environment. You could tweak one of the provided kernel packages easily to build a kernel for the tosa, even with the latest 2.6.30 sources. The latest kernel should work using stock kernel.org sources without the need for patches.

To get the latest Android version you could rip the file system from the emulator (as I did with the pre-releases) or rebuild it from source (as described here)

Unfortunately, I've run into some problems with openembedded and building tosa images. I've posted the details over here in the tosa forum.

If you or anyone else following this thread can get me back on track I'd appreciate it
doublethink.

ant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 05:23:49 am »

Unfortunately, I've run into some problems with openembedded and building tosa images. I've posted the details over here in the tosa forum.

If you or anyone else following this thread can get me back on track I'd appreciate it

Hi,
I answered you in the other thread.
Now, I add another advice: use a plain local.conf, no need for .bz2. Seeing how many images were created, I guess you have not updated in the last weeks

BTW: Tosa was needing just two patches against 2.6.29. Don't think these are yet merged.

Regards

Ant