Author Topic: Zubuntu On A 4gb Transcend Sd Card  (Read 8063 times)

ofels

• View Profile
    • http://
Zubuntu On A 4gb Transcend Sd Card
« on: February 02, 2009, 08:04:20 am »
Until today I used a Sandisk ExtremeIII SD card with 2.0 GB to run zubuntu via kexecboot kernel which worked like a chrm.

Today I formatted a 4GB Transcend card with ext3 and installed zubuntu on it. The result is somehow demotivating- themultiboot kernel starts, probes mmcblk0p1 and then returns with "no bootable device found". The boot flag is set on the partition.

I tried several things to solve the issue- shrink the partition to 1 GB, copied the root filesystem from the 2GB card- same result.

Interesting: Starting with the 2GB card until the multiboot display appears and then exchanging the SD cards works. So it is not the card itself, propably.

Any clues or similar experience?

Oliver

danr

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 10:12:24 am »
Perhaps an obvious question, but does the SD card contain a partition?  I think I might have accidentally used SD cards in the past without generating a partition.

If you fdisk /dev/mmcblk0 and select 'p', what does the partition table look like?  For reference, my SD card contains three partitions and looks like this:

[div class=\'codetop\']CODE[/div][div class=\'codemain\' style=\'height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto\']        Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/mmcblk0p1               1         353     2835441    6  FAT16
/dev/mmcblk0p2             354         484     1052257+  83  Linux
/dev/mmcblk0p3             485         492       64260   82  Linux swap / Solaris
[/div]

Kexec can pick up a kernel on the second partition; I just have to ensure the boot directory contains the files image.nfo,  kernel-cmdline,  zImage.
SL-C860 running Debian EABI on top of Angstrom 2.6 kernel

ofels

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 12:49:16 pm »
Quote from: danr
Perhaps an obvious question, but does the SD card contain a partition?

Of course it does
I once had two partitions on it but reduced to one to eliminate this as a potential source.

Oliver

brontoZaurus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 05:52:32 am »
try formatting it on ext2,
could it be kexec cant look at ext3¿?¿?

duo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 09:51:22 pm »
try reformatting it again. I had a similar problem, and it was cuz the partition type was still reading as fat32, even though I had formatted it as ext2. (the partition was still fat32, but the file system was ext2)

zbeckerd

• View Profile
    • http://beckerconsulting.net
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 01:38:26 am »
I had the same experience with the same card.  Although the first time I tried it I did get to the multiboot screen, but never again.  I tried every combination of files systems and partitions and always get the same error you get.
SL-5500 Sharp 3.10  SL-C1000 zubuntu jaunty
Zonet WF
Haicom CF 303 GPS
Treo 680 - UTC 6700

ppyo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 04:53:56 pm »
I had a similar problem with a 2GB sd card while installing Zubuntu 1. I created a 1GB partition formatted as ext3 and it would not be recognized at boot time.
I re formatted the partition to ext2, and voila, it was back in the boot menu.
Looks like we're stuck with ext2 here.
Ppyo - Proudly a Linux user since 96
Eee PC 1000HA - Ubuntu 9.04
Zaurus C1000 - Zubuntu/Cacko 1.23
Palm Zire 72

duo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 09:40:10 pm »
Quote from: ppyo
I had a similar problem with a 2GB sd card while installing Zubuntu 1. I created a 1GB partition formatted as ext3 and it would not be recognized at boot time.
I re formatted the partition to ext2, and voila, it was back in the boot menu.
Looks like we're stuck with ext2 here.

I have a 4GB Transcend Card that has 4 partitions. 1st is Fat32, 2 are ext3, and last is swap. Both the ext3 partitions are viewed and bootable using both the Angstrom multiboot kernel and the Omegamoon one. So I don't think that the filesystem is the problem.