Author Topic: Got My Netwalker Today! Zaurus Successor At Last.....  (Read 6603 times)

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Got My Netwalker Today! Zaurus Successor At Last.....
« on: December 16, 2009, 11:15:49 pm »
FYI, today, I  received my Netwalker (Black) from a fellow Zauruster...

So far, I'm quite pleased with the Netwalker and find it to be better than I had expected given the reviews...

Very nice piece of hardware, has the Sharp build quality that we Zauruster's like and if you compare it to a clamshell Zaurus then I think it compares quite favorably; built-in WiFi, fullsize standard USB port, bit larger than Zaurus so, easier to read display and larger keys (yes, they rock, but it's OK...you get used to it...), and yet it fits comfortably in the inside coat pocket of my jacket...so, very light and portable....

WiFi worked great right away and so did my Apple USB ethernet adapter....

Also, think it's great to have an OS like Ubuntu instead of Qtopia and hopefully, there will be OS updates periodically....

All in all, think this is definitely a worthy successor to the Zaurus...

Think it would be great to see more interest in it around here....

Meanwhile, I'm trying to connect with anyone who has taken the plunge and bought a Netwalker so that we can share experiences and info......have connected with someone in Germany and France so far and hope to find other Netwalkeristas.....  

Thought of calling our group, NUTS, for Netwalker User Testing Society, as you probably need to be a bit nuts to get one, but what the heck....

Would be great if we can have enough interest to be able to have a Netwalker section added to the forums!

Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Jiba

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 05:41:31 pm »
I also have a Netwalker, since a few weeks. I've already have a few hacking session with it.

Things that I have managed to do :

* rebuild the kernel (http://laterrevuedailleurs.fdn.org/en/informatique/zaurus/message_how_to_update_and_flash_the_kernel_on_the_netwalker__sharp_pc_z1_/index.html NB put the URL on a single line !)

* enable wake-up on RTC, in order to use the Netwalker as a PDA (http://laterrevuedailleurs.fdn.org/fr/informatique/zaurus/message_wake_up_on_rtc_alarm_for_the_netwalker/index.html and http://laterrevuedailleurs.fdn.org/fr/info...ts_/index.html)

* use an USB-to-DVI / USB-to-VGA converter with the Netwalker. I used a DisplayLink based converter, but older converter using usbsisvga have been reported to work too. Information for using DisplayLink device on Linux can be found here : http://libdlo.freedesktop.org/wiki/FrontPage . They are not specific to the Netwalker, but works well on the Netwalker.

Things that are still problematic :
 * the Netwalker does not suspend after a period of inactivity when the lid is closed (e.g. after a wake up on RTC).
 * Sunbird calendar is INCREDIBLY slow.
 * I tried to install newer Ubuntu Karmic (ARM version) from a USB key, but without success.

Jiba

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 10:58:49 pm »
Jiba, thanks for the update and info about your experience so far with the Netwalker....very helpful info!

Meanwhile, I was surfing around the net today and found these Netwalker related links:

Netwalker FAQ

Netwalker Support

Netwalker Wiki

Flash Lite Firefox Plugin

Sharp Netwalker FAQ

Sharp Supported Peripherals List.

Hope these are useful....

MacBookPro

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 09:55:26 am »
Quote from: ArchiMark
Would be great if we can have enough interest to be able to have a Netwalker section added to the forums!

done!
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 11:29:47 pm »
Quote from: speculatrix
Quote from: ArchiMark

done!

You're 'da MAN, speculatrix!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Mark
Member, NUTS*

*Netwalker User Testing Society....
MacBookPro