Author Topic: Larger Sdhc Cards On Sharp Rom  (Read 50264 times)

keef

• View Profile
Larger Sdhc Cards On Sharp Rom
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2010, 06:59:22 pm »
Quote from: cybersphinx
It looks like the SD module Cacko uses for the cxx0s is not the same as the original Sharp ROM. The needed module is /lib/modules/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/kernel/drivers/block/sharp_mmcsd_m.o with an md5sum of b6a026d0e0eaba101a3746bc0555cdf5.

Hi, just checked system info and this is the same module I have installed and yet the new update will still not install.

keef

xamindar

• View Profile
    • http://www.radnimax.com
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2010, 07:40:45 pm »
Quote from: keef
Hi, just checked system info and this is the same module I have installed and yet the new update will still not install.
I have never known system info to give an md5 of the modules. Same name does not mean it is the same module. Did you verify that your module has the same md5?

It looks like the ipk for this module on the cxx0 Zaurus needs to actually compile and link the driver when it is installed whereas on the cxx00 it just has a precompiled module and installs just that. Kind of strange.
SL-C3100 happily Dualbooting Japanese Rom 1.02 and Debian Eabi
Replaced internal CF with 8gb seagate cf hard drive
Ambicom CF GPS
CyberPower battery powered USB hub
D-link DCF-650W (MAN THIS THING IS HUGE!!)

keef

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2010, 07:58:10 pm »
Quote from: xamindar
I have never known system info to give an md5 of the modules. Same name does not mean it is the same module. Did you verify that your module has the same md5?

It looks like the ipk for this module on the cxx0 Zaurus needs to actually compile and link the driver when it is installed whereas on the cxx00 it just has a precompiled module and installs just that. Kind of strange.

Hi, not sure what an Md5 is!

Here is the info:

filename: /lib/modules.rom/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/kernel/drivers/block/sharp_mmcsd_m.o
description: "Sharp PDA MMC/SD driver"
author: "Sharp and Lineo and HTC"

keef

xamindar

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2010, 09:00:40 pm »
"md5sum /lib/modules.rom/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/kernel/drivers/block/sharp_mmcsd_m.o" will give you the md5 of your module.
Ambicom CF GPS

Snappy

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2010, 08:50:33 am »
Md5 is an unique hash string output of an input.  The binary file (sharp_mmcsd_m.o) in this case serves as the input to the md5 app.  Each binary file is supposed to have a unique hash output.  md5 hash is used to ensure the validity of the binary file.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-C1000 with Cacko 1.23 full
Accessories: Wifi XI-825 CF  |  16GB (6) SDHC (Transcend) | 1GB 80x CF (RiDATA PRO-2) </span>

Collie (Sandbox)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-5500 with OZ/GPE 3.5.4.1 alpha3 build 2006-04-27
Accessories: 512MB A-Data SD | 64MB Toshiba SD</span>

keef

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2010, 11:33:32 am »
Quote from: xamindar
"md5sum /lib/modules.rom/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/kernel/drivers/block/sharp_mmcsd_m.o" will give you the md5 of your module.

Hi,

Ok it is different: aa56b369c30228a49ddc3dd29eed6b6f  

looks like I will have to follow advise from cybersphinx and reflash and try and grab the module.

I got the impression from various threads that this driver would install ok under cacko but maybe not.

klaxon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2010, 01:29:03 pm »
Here the module wanted by the patch.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 01:30:23 pm by klaxon »

keef

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2010, 03:16:11 pm »
Quote from: klaxon

hey that's great.

many, many thanks

keef

tux

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2010, 04:35:39 pm »
Quote from: klaxon

hey that's great.

many, many thanks

keef
 I just replaced the (modified by pelrun) greater than 1 GB driver module on my 860 with the module attached above and rebooted. Worked ok. Tried the ipk for the cxx0 from the site in the first link through the gui installer. As with the successful attempt on the 3200 it said that the system would reboot after closing the installer. It rebooted with no problems. I checked that it still read my ordinary SD card and it did. I checked by swapping dictionaries in zbedic. I then checked how it worked with a 4GB puremedia SDHC card I was trying on the 3200. It worked fine. I tested it with fbreader and it recognised the umpteen books I had on the SDHC card and I was able to read them in the usual way.

To sum up: if you have the original un-modified Sharp modules on any of the clamshells you can just install the appropriate ipk from the Japanese site. If you have put the modified modules for the 3xxx series on then you need to uninstall the ipk first before installing the new one.

For the Cxx0 series if you installed the module that pelrun did for us you need to replace them with the one attached in this thread and then install the new version ipk.

Being a wimp on the command line I used treeexplorer to rename the pelrun module and to transfer the original one into place.  

Thanks to the finders and experimenters! I actually played with my 860 for the first time in a year or so! I appreciate the screen and the keyboard all the more after using my G1 for the last year! It might even be worth my while to play with dual boot from the SD slot now!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 07:06:52 pm by tux »
3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
SL860 Cacko 1.23 full, new SDHC >2GB module,
6000L SharpRom 1.12 + Tetsu kernel,
5500 TKC home on SD x 2 (with SD>1GB),
Archos PMA30 with OPEN PMA (Giraffe),
Nokia 770 (Hackers Edition)
Nokia 800 (ITOS 2008), 4GB SDHC x 2
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Tmobile HTC Wildfire.. rooted and on Cyanogen's 7.3 nightly Rom
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

All the above are retired

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

rlubikey

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2010, 09:16:22 am »
I see ... it's not IPKG throwing up the MD5 error to complain it's got a duff IPK, it's the SDHC package itself (wisely) checking the file it's about to patch.

Right, grabbed the original Sharp file (thanks klaxon & xamindar). Made backup of Cacko package to *internal* memory and copied Sharp file and SDHC IPK, again, to internal memory.

su   root
cd    /destination_directory
cp    /path_to/new_Sharp_file    sharp_mmcsd_m.o
... gives me an error ...
cp: unable to open "sharp_mmcsd_m.o" : Read-only file system

Any ideas what blindingly obvious thing it is I've missed - apart from "average-or-better brains" when they were being handed out, that is.

Thanks,

Richard
SL-C860 since 2004 running Cacko 1.23 since May 2010
Olympus XD > CF adaptor (to replace lost dust cover)
Kingston 256MB SD and 32GB SDHC (in anticipation of SDHC package working)
Symbol Spectrum24 LA-4137 WiFi
TRENDnet TE-CF100 Ethernet CF card
Audiovox RTM8000 GPRS packet radio CF card
KoPi Suite (replaces my infirm Psion 3C, now in a nursing home for dying technology)

the_oak

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 01:10:08 pm »
You need to mount the file system read/write:

(Log in as root)
   mount -n -o remount,rw / (make the file system writable)
SL-6000L running Sharp 1.12 rom, (SOLD)
Fujitsu U820 with Windows 7
White Intel MacBook

xamindar

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 01:14:20 pm »
Well, on the zaurus there are two roots mounted. One is read only and is not changeable and the other is read/write. That is so if you mess things up on your zaurus and want to "format" and start over it will just erase the read/write and you will be back to a default configuration. So there are two possible locations for your module. I believe if you go under the modules directory in your path without the .rom you should be able to replace it. Don't quote me on that. I am just looking at my c3100 and under /lib/modules.rom/blablabla/ and the sd module is a different one than I have under /lib/modules/blablabla/ . If I wanted the original module back I think I would just be able to delete the one under /lib/modules and then create a link from the one under /lib/modules.rom to the one under /lib/modules again.

In short, try going to the same location under /lib/modules (without the .rom) and replace that one.
Ambicom CF GPS

rlubikey

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2010, 04:33:05 pm »
Folks, thanks for your suggestions. I found that:-
/lib/modules/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/kernel/drivers/block/sharp_mmcsd_m.o
(without .rom in the path) also gave a Read-only file system error.

So I tried the remount,rw and then copied the file to:-
/lib/modules.rom/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/kernel/drivers/block/sharp_mmcsd_m.o
which gave no errors. Then ran the SDHC IPK which also ran without errors (I was lazy and used the GUI package manager) so presumably I had chosen the correct file location.

The old 256MB SD is still recognised seemingly without any problems, but the 32GB card is giving me a headache. After fun & games trying to backup the old card onto the new and the new 32GB card not being recognised, I suddenly realised it was formatted to FAT32. Nil desperandum, I thought! I just went to the OESF SD And CF FAQ and formatted it. No, this doesn't seem to work - gives an error about the size of the card! OK, I'll do it on my PC - eventually (finger &/or brain trouble!) However, now it's FAT16 but still not working correctly. Sometimes it sits there saying "Updating Information", sometimes it doesn't. But it always seems to lock up the Zaurus.

Of course, I may have a duff SD card - it is an Ebay special after all! Also, I note the comment in the FAQ that SD cards work fine so long as the filesystem is left alone.  I'm not beaten yet but I've got other stuff to do. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again. All for now,

Richard
KoPi Suite (replaces my infirm Psion 3C, now in a nursing home for dying technology)

xamindar

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2010, 04:54:52 pm »
The Zaurus should read FAT16, FAT32, ext2, ext3,jffs just fine. Doesn't matter which one you use on your SD card. But if you want windows to be able to read it as well without a special driver then format it as fat32. I don't know how you were able to format that 32GB card as fat16 because the maximum partition size of fat16 as far as I know is 4GB, unless you used a very large non-standard cluster size or something. Format it back as fat32 in windows and that should be enough for the zaurus. If your zaurus freezes when you insert the card then it is acting as if the SD driver you are using is still the original. Did you remember to reboot after installing the package?

Also, try some smaller ones as well like 4GB or 8GB. No one has tested a 32GB card on these forums yet and for all we know that really doesn't work.
Ambicom CF GPS

rlubikey

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2010, 08:36:51 am »
I've been quiet for a while - I haven't lost interest but things are complicated.

Xamindar - I had FAT16 fixed in my mind for compatibility with flashing, but I've now tried FAT32 and Ext2. I don't know how I managed 32G with FAT16 either!!! Yes, I rebooted after applying the changes - good suggestion though.

There's definitely a problem but it might be:-
  • Finger trouble on my part (most likely!),
  • I broke the SDHC card by formatting it,
  • The disc utilities on our Linux laptop (the only thing I have which is SDHC compatible) are ... errr? ... unpredictable, buggy, or amplify my finger trouble,
  • I don't entirely understand how to manage discs,
  • Or ... I bought a dodgy ebay-special SDHC :¬(
I don't currently have any other SDHC cards to try. The SD slot is still working because my old card is fine. I'm not giving this 100% attention at the moment but I spent last night trying to verify whether my SDHC was genuine using H2testw and I didn't entirely understand the errors I was getting. They didn't seem to be saying "you've got a fake". Re-formating the device changed things somewhat, but it takes an age to run the test.

This isn't a cry for help; just to let you all know I haven't vanished.

Richard