Author Topic: SMBMount Over the Internet?  (Read 1860 times)

kbranch

• View Profile
    • http://
SMBMount Over the Internet?
« on: April 04, 2004, 04:56:46 pm »
I\'d like to be able to mount my home PCs hard drive from anywhere there\'s an internet connection.  It seems like setting up a VPN would do it, but I haven\'t been able to find much info on that here.  I think I have everything set up for a VPN, but the connect to VPN button on the zaurus does nothing.  Does anybody either have another suggestion or could somebody help me out with the VPN?
Open source RTS.  It's still in the very early stages, so testers are quite welcome.

orthogonal

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 12:13:36 am »
I\'m not sure what you want to do. If you want to be able to connect to your PC\'s shares from anywhere, I can\'t help you (and I\'ll note that MOST users, though perhaps not you, have very limited upload bandwidth even on DSL/cable).

If you want to connect to PC shares from your zaurus, that\'s as simple as installing smbmount, and calling it (I haven\'t gotten it to work from fstab):
# smbmount //PCName/sharename /some/dir/on/your/zaurus -o username=PCusername,password=pcuserPassword

Then the directory you specified on the zaurus mounts the share.

To unmount (and the zaurus won\'t let you turn off the network connection until you do):
# smbumount /some/dir/on/your/zaurus

Note that parts of the zaurus filesystem are read only, notably / (root), so creating a directory off root to mount to won\'t work.

Also note that mounting will require that you to issue the smbmount command as root:
su root

Also consider install openssh, in order to log into your zaurus from your PC.
Sharp Zaurus 5600  \"Special ROM\" 1.3   Ambicomm WL1100C CF Wifi  SanDisk 512MB SD

kbranch

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 07:36:50 pm »
I\'m not sure what you want to do. If you want to be able to connect to your PC\'s shares from anywhere, I can\'t help you (and I\'ll note that MOST users, though perhaps not you, have very limited upload bandwidth even on DSL/cable).

This is exactly what I want to do.  I\'m already able to mount my PCs shares from the Z and ssh into my Linux box from anywhere.  I\'m able to get about 45K/s upload on my connection, plenty for fairly small file transfers and streaming MP3s.

Does anybody know if using NFS instead of Samba would make any difference?
Open source RTS.  It's still in the very early stages, so testers are quite welcome.

gretchen

• View Profile
    • http://www.gretchenann.com
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 06:59:22 pm »
I would love to do this also!  I\'ve been thinking of a couple different ways to do it and haven\'t come up with anything yet.  However, as I understand it NFS is not very secure.

Ideally I\'d like to mount drives over (through) ssh.  Not sure if it\'s possible, something to research next time I have free time.
Zaurus SL-3200 Being Shipped
AmbiCom WL1100C Wireless Card