Author Topic: Kismet-qt and sound...  (Read 2512 times)

harbinger1080

• View Profile
    • http://
Kismet-qt and sound...
« on: November 03, 2003, 09:17:23 pm »
I am trying to set up Kismet to make a sound whenever a new network is detected, and no matter what I do, it remains silent.  I\'ve edited the kismet.conf file the kismet_ui.conf file and checked the \"Beep on New\" check box in Kismet-QT.  I just downloaded the \"buzzme\" file from a site about Kismet as an addon for Kismet to make sound... but no luck there, either.

Does anybody have any idea how to get this to work... it\'s hard (and somewhat dangerous) to drive about and constantly look at the Z to determine if a new network has been found.  Much easier to have it beep at me  

cascadefx

• View Profile
    • http://
Kismet-qt and sound...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 09:54:37 am »
Can\'t help if we don\'t know which Zaurus you have and which ROM you have loaded.  Check out your System Info screen.
Zaurus SL-5600
Sharp 1.0 ROM
256 SanDisk Secure Digital Card (fat16)
Linksys WCF12 wireless card

Anonymous

Kismet-qt and sound...
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2003, 09:30:45 am »
Dumb, i know, but are you sure you dont have mute on the speaker?

Anonymous

Kismet-qt and sound...
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 07:22:21 am »
I dont use kismet QT but I did get the buzzme to work.  I set the sound to true on both .conf files and set the sound player to buzzme....also the location of the sound has to be changed to: -n instead of the default sound file.

hope that helps

raybert

• View Profile
Kismet-qt and sound...
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 12:53:03 pm »
I did some work on the latest version of kismet_qt (2.0).  It uses /dev/sharp_buz to generate beeps.  Someone reported to us just before release of 2.0 that this wasn\'t working on the clamshells.  Since neither myself nor Justin (the author) have a clamshell (yet!), we couldn\'t develop a solution for the clamshells.  Do the clamshells still have a buzzer device?  If so, if someone knows how to use it, we could probably implement this and make a new release.

If the device has simply been renamed, I wonder if it\'s possible to make a symlink to the new one?  Might be worth trying.

One final idea: just before the 2.0 release we considered adding a script call in which the \"beep\" could be implemented (but we ended up not doing so).  Some background for those who don\'t know: kismet_qt 2.0 uses external scripts to implement things like turning the card on/off and changing channels.  When you select a \"scheme\" on the config tab, you are actually just selecting a script to execute.  Look in /etc/kismet_qt/card_schemes to see what I mean.  These scripts are called with a command (such as \"startup\").  We could add another command such as \"beep\".  This would allow folks to implement the beeping in any way they like via the script.  This should be only a simple change if folks think it would be useful.

~ray

Mickeyl

• View Profile
    • http://www.Vanille.de
Kismet-qt and sound...
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2004, 01:43:54 pm »
2.4.18-embedix contains a dsp buzzer driver for c7x0 and 5600.
Cheers,

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | Embedded Linux Freelancer | www.Vanille-Media.de
Consider donating, if you like the software I contribute to.