Author Topic: New Gemini PDA forums added  (Read 11198 times)

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New Gemini PDA forums added
« on: August 11, 2017, 05:03:51 am »
Hi,

After the latest progress updates on the Gemini PDA campaign I have now decided to open a new forum dedicated to it. I have divided it into 3 subforums (hardware, Linux and Android). In the next months I'll post there any news and updates about this project, and anyone having an interest on this device is of course welcomed to contribute.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Varti
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 04:35:13 am by Varti »
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

koan

• View Profile
    • http://www.lyndonhill.com
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 06:05:35 am »
Hi Varti,

Has there been any independent hands on or review of this device, even a prototype ?

By the way, I cannot read your attached image; I get an error page with the message

"Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available."

There is no form below.
Zocalo Feed Reader : Thai on Zaurus : Dictionaries for zbedic : Sharp ROM package feed
HELUX Handheld Embedded Linux Blog
SL-C3200 Multiboot : SL-C750  Sharp ROM

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 08:57:06 am »
Quote from: koan
Has there been any independent hands on or review of this device, even a prototype ?
No, there are no reviews of it I'm aware of, yet. The project is for now looking promising, though; it seems to be progressing nicely, and I like the fact that they post regular updates, and are open to customer's requests and questions. Only time will tell if it will be successfully released; the reason I have now opened them is that I'm closely following the project, so I wanted a separate forum (and the SW ones, in advance) to consolidate all the Gemini-related news I'll find.

By the way, I cannot read your attached image; I get an error page with the message

"Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available."

There is no form below.
Thanks for pointing it out, I have now fixed it. As it turned out, if a post has an attached file which is shown as an inline image, if the user browsing it doesn't have download permissions in that forum (like all the guests, or validating members), he won't be able to see it. There will be a download link instead, and he won't be able anyway to download the file, as you have seen. You have not seen any login form below the message since you were already logged in, the problem was caused by something else.

At first I set all the news-related forums to have no upload and download permissions to anyone except the admins. To fix the problem I have now set the ability to download the attachments to everyone on all the forums (except for banned users). The side effect of this is that now there's no need to register in order to download any attached file; this was a good motivation for new users to register, but I find more important to be able for everyone to see all the inline images.

PS: in case you are wondering, yes, Varti_test is me; I have created it so that I can use it to quickly check the forum as a normal user when I'm doing changes.

Varti
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:16:37 am by Varti »
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

ntw1103

• View Profile
    • http://dreamphase.net
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 03:44:35 pm »
A third party review of the prototype unit is now available: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/11/ge...totype_handson/
I Ordered one when the project first started. I am excited about it.
So far, they have lowered the screen resolution, which I don't mind much, it is still high.
They removed NFC, I view this as a mistake. There are a number of security uses for NFC, and having something built in was something I was looking forward to.
They slashed the battery size.  They said it is to maintain the size promised, and it makes sense. The battery should still be decent.
They mentioned the possibility of selling an extended battery. I hope that they do. At the very least, I hope they readily sell the standard battery.
Sl-c860: Cacko 1.23
8gb cf + 4gb sd + 1gb sd + 2gb cf + Sandisk connect+
my website