Author Topic: Helio X27 Root and removing GAPPS ?  (Read 7035 times)

scops

• View Profile
    • http://
Helio X27 Root and removing GAPPS ?
« on: December 28, 2017, 03:46:50 am »
Planet Computers doesn't answer to questions about rooting the Gemini. We could expect that there won't be an official way for rooting.
So, whats the best way to root a device with Helio X27 and is there an good howto how to remove (or deactivate) all GAPPS/Services?
OpenPandora, Jolla C, BQ M10 fHD (ubports), MacBook Pro Retina (mid-2012), Zaurus SL-5500, OpenMoko Freerunner, Geeksphone Keon (ffOS 2.x), a few Raspberries, too many game consoles and Android devices,...

... and soon: Dragonbox Pyra, Librem 5

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 07:34:29 am »
I believe Planet prefers not to talk about the use of rooting tools, like any other smartphone/tablet maker, for obvious reasons...

I have a limited experience in rooting; I have always used only vroot, and according to the following post (in italian only, sorry), both kingroot and vroot should support any MTK chipset: http://www.androidiani.com/forum/modding-u...tml#post7782386 From my experience, vroot works as expected, though at least on my smartphone it keeps showing annoying warnings in chinese, plus the installer only works under Windows, so I don't know if I'd recommend it. I have never tried kingroot. I have read about UMIDIGI's rootjoy, though it is officially only for the UMI Z smartphone, so I'm not sure it would work with other X27 devices.

I'm going to reopen the Wiki section soon; still no PHP upgrade on our server, though it is being worked on, so we'll use the current MediaWiki installation for now. I'll add a Gemini section too, so if anybody will find a reliable procedure for rooting and GAPPS removal I'd gladly host it there: https://www.oesf.org/wiki/

Varti
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 07:44:00 am by Varti »
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

Michael Liberman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 04:07:11 am »
The other question is, whethere rooting our devices (I intend to root mine as soon as I can), will void the warranty.
Is Vroot reversible?
I am asking because I haven't used any rooting method for a long time now (having used Cyanogenmod on all my android devices for the last 5 years or so).

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 04:27:06 am »
Quote from: Michael Liberman
The other question is, whethere rooting our devices (I intend to root mine as soon as I can), will void the warranty.
Is Vroot reversible?
I am asking because I haven't used any rooting method for a long time now (having used Cyanogenmod on all my android devices for the last 5 years or so).
Yes, Vroot's interface (on Windows) has an option to uninstall it, the app on the phone is uninstalled too. Anyway, after removing it a factory reset of the device is recommended, to make sure that no traces of the vroot's installation are left.

PS: Welcome!

Varti
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 04:27:50 am by Varti »
and many other Zauruses!

Michael Liberman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 06:48:55 am »
I see.
Well I suppose then Vroot is a good interim solution, until LineageOS people hopefully release a version of their OS for Gemini.

P.S
Thanks  

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 07:59:54 am »
Note that it is yet unconfirmed that vroot, or any other rooting utility, will work with the Gemini. As soon as the Gemini will be released I believe (or hope  ) that rooting tutorials will start to appear here.

I'm also interested in seeing a port of LineageOS. I hope it will be possible to use Gemini's boot menu for alternative OSes too, and that it will be possible to boot them from an external microSD card.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 06:59:27 am »
I usually use Titanium Backup Root to remove apps and bloat, and this depends on you having not just root but also be able to control selinux. If you can get a root shell and do "setenforce permissive" then you can probably remount the root partition read/write, and then remove bloat.

Removing GAPPS could render your device unusable!
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Isaac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 10:59:36 am »
The strange aspect of this is that they are shipping with Linux support out of the box. This almost by definition requires rooting does it not?

Grench

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 01:44:11 pm »
Quote from: Isaac
The strange aspect of this is that they are shipping with Linux support out of the box. This almost by definition requires rooting does it not?

I have an outlandish theory on how they might be handling the Android Vs Linux boot.
Android is installed as the primary/only OS on the 64GB eMMC.
A special button-hold during boot forces the device to boot from microSD.
Linux will be user-downloadable and writable to a microSDXC via an ISO image.

I.e. to my theory, you will need to have Linux installed on the primary/boot partition of the user supplied microSDXC card.  I suspect that the device will not actually ship with Linux installed.

Which, if you're into Linux and think about it - that's actually a pretty good solution.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 02:26:16 pm »
it could be that bootloader is locked down so that it will chain the android bootloader securely, and the android system is then encrypted as per normal, so if you boot linux you might not be able to see much of Android?
much like you might have secure boot enabled on a Windows laptop with a UEFI stage to boot a signed Grub to load linux which can then run with normal security?
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

terryowen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 04:12:39 pm »
I don't know how they are handling the Linux install but Planet has said that the units will be delivered with the dual boot Linux ready to use.

And while I don't plan on rooting as my employer has started using iOs/Android mobile apps that won't run on rooted devices, being able to choose from multiple Linux setups on boot sounds good.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 04:13:14 pm by terryowen »

Grench

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 02:32:01 pm »
Quote from: terryowen
I don't know how they are handling the Linux install but Planet has said that the units will be delivered with the dual boot Linux ready to use.

Another way to do that while claiming dual boot Linux ready to use:

Create an Android app that when clicked on checks to make sure that there is a microSDXC card in the Gemini, asks the user if it's OK to overwrite it then if Yes to both, downloads and writes the Debian Linux image directly to the microSDXC.

Then the user just has to do the funky hold buttons while resetting trick (which they showed in one of the videos) to force boot to the microSDXC and thus Linux.

It's ready - just put in a microSDXC card and install the latest image.

Personally I'd rather have Linux ride on the microSDXC and leave the eMMC entirely to Android.  I can see where others might want to flip that and others might want them to both be a true dual boot from the same eMMC.

But - from the video where they hold the buttons through reset to boot Linux, that directly resembles how to force most Android phones with SD cards to boot from the SD card to root & load custom ROMs.  Powering on while a 'secret' set of buttons are held forcing the SoC to boot to an alternate target.

All entirely speculative until someone has one in hand and can start trying things and answering questions.

depscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 03:18:44 pm »
Quote from: Grench

Create an Android app that when clicked on checks to make sure that there is a microSDXC card in the Gemini, asks the user if it's OK to overwrite it then if Yes to both, downloads and writes the Debian Linux image directly to the microSDXC.

Then they'd pretty well have to ship the SD card with the unit, because otherwise they'd have to say not that it ships dual boot but that when it ships dual boot would be possible with the addition of non-included storage. In short, the whole dual-booting Linux thing would be a lie. If additional storage is required to run Linux, they surely would have said so by now.
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket

Grench

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 06:10:27 pm »
Quote from: depscribe
Quote from: Grench

Then they'd pretty well have to ship the SD card with the unit, because otherwise they'd have to say not that it ships dual boot but that when it ships dual boot would be possible with the addition of non-included storage. In short, the whole dual-booting Linux thing would be a lie. If additional storage is required to run Linux, they surely would have said so by now.

I've seen that idea floated around a few times - that the unit will ship with both Android and Linux pre-installed on the eMMC.  However, I have not seen anything from Planet Computers that directly claims that.

What the Indiegogo listing for the Gemini says about Linux:

"Designed for Android, it also features a dual boot Linux option"

"What Linux distribution will Gemini run?
We are currently talking to a few companies representing different Linux flavours and we are considering a number of options but the decision has not been taken yet. We are also taking into accounts comments from the backers into consideration, including Sailfish & Ubuntu OS, which have been suggested several times."

That is all.  "Dual boot Linux option" does not equal, "Linux pre-installed."

Note this video showing the Gemini booting Linux:
https://vimeo.com/239095559
At 16 seconds into the video you see that in order to boot Linux, the side-button must be held until the logo splash screen appears.

If this were truly dual boot from the eMMC, then it should boot to a bootloader selection menu drawn from the eMMC.

The key hold during power on is critical to this assessment - it's happening prior to and through the device reset.  I.e. it appears to be a conditional choice during boot media selection.  Pretty much every phone I've encountered with a microSD card slot has a 'secret button' combination that when held during reset points the device to boot from microSD.

If it were 'Two OS installs on one eMMC' dual boot, then there would have to be a select write to the bootloader when exiting Android to tell it to boot Linux when it restarts.  I.e. something on the eMMC's bootloader to tell it to go to the next partition.

We'll see, but I will not only not be surprised but very happy if this is booting Linux from the microSD (at the end user's option) and leaving the eMMC to Android.   And yes, I plan to use both.  I simply prefer to keep the two separated with Debian Linux on a media point that is easily backed up, changed out, changeable, etc...

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 09:50:33 pm »
Interesting discussion...

As for linux coming installed on Gemini....

I recall reading a recent Planet quote somewhere that linux will not be pre-installed on Gemini, but buyers will Planet will provide a download link to an image to install ourselves.

Among other possible reasons, I think this is due to Gemini not having the image 'ready for primetime', as they say.....

Somewhat similar situation happened with the GPD Pocket....linux was not ready when they had the Win10 units ready to ship...had to ship the linux ones later...and then provided download link for anyone that had the Win10 version and wanted to switch.

It's pretty clear to me now that most vendors are not that linux savvy and/or have adequate resources available to devote to it. The other angle is the vendors have figured out that guys like you on this and other forums are savvy and can fix things up linux-wise and not on the vendor's nickel, as we say...so, good for them....

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/