Author Topic: Shipping email (I got my Gemini PDA)  (Read 34850 times)

jakfish

• View Profile
Shipping email (I got my Gemini PDA)
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2018, 04:12:15 pm »
Congrats to everybody and their new machines, but a particular hats-off to Varti, who has tended this forum faithfully for months, all without the benefit of the actual device!

Varti--you need to change your sig now

Jake

KenJ

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2018, 05:50:44 pm »
Received order # 1889 in continental USA today via DHL.  WiFi only.  Yesterday received shipping notifications from Planet and from DHL via email.

Battery was at 99%.

Next step is to make keyboard match USA standard, so Shift-2 is @.

TheWalt

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2018, 11:28:30 pm »
Got mine today, USA shipped Wi-Fi only model.  Order #38xx.  Limited exposure and I'm already beyond pleased.
- Gemini PDA | WiFi - Android 7.1.1
- GPD Pocket | Ubuntu Mate 18.10
- Zaurus SL-C3100 | ArchLinuxARM

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2018, 05:47:29 am »
Quote from: jakfish
Congrats to everybody and their new machines, but a particular hats-off to Varti, who has tended this forum faithfully for months, all without the benefit of the actual device!

Varti--you need to change your sig now

Jake
Thanks, sig promptly changed  It will be indeed easier to give help and support to others now that I finally have the device in hands!

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2018, 08:02:33 am »
it's quite frustrating to see all these happy people and want to share in the voyage of discovery, or offer to help with problems, but don't have a machine to hand!
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2018, 09:50:32 am »
Quote from: speculatrix
it's quite frustrating to see all these happy people and want to share in the voyage of discovery, or offer to help with problems, but don't have a machine to hand!
I hear you... it was the same for me, especially during the two weeks wait after the order was locked, before it arrived. Is your order locked? If not, it should be soon, judging from the comments I read here and in other places.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2018, 10:03:47 am »
No, my order's not been locked in, 46xx, 4G  order here in the UK.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2018, 12:43:17 pm »
Have patience.

The wait is temporary; the Gemini is eternal  
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2018, 02:51:16 pm »
I just got a notification of my G shipping, and it appears it will include the camera module. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Pete G.

• View Profile
    • http://www.GoodeveCA.net
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2018, 06:43:10 pm »
Yaay!  My (WiFi) Gemini arrived yesterday, and I can finally post to the forum again(!)  Many thanks to Varti for figuring the problem out -- my own stupidity in the end.  

My general opinion is utter delight.  The keyboard feels fine under my fingers.  Seem to have less spacebar problems than I do on my laptop.  Have to do a little searching for the characters like '-' in unaccustomed places, but that won't bother me long.

I could have done with a few more details on the 'Power LED'.  The Quick Start said that the battery would be only half-charged, so the first thing I did was plug it in.  The LED went red for a few moments, and then turned green.  Wasn't sure what that indicated, so I left it alone for another (impatient) hour.  Watching it charging again right now, it still hasn't turned entirely green, though the status panel says only a few minutes left.  I like the way the status estimates remaining battery time by how much it's been used.  It jumped from "8 hours" to "13 hours" overnight, with a flat graph.  (It seems to be rather optimistic about actual charging time needed.)

I spent yesterday installing some probably-needed apps.  I went straight for Fdroid and Yalp, having heard good things about them here.  I got Firefox through Yalp, and am slowly getting used to the small-screen differences from the version I know.  I'm still doing this post on my laptop, as I'm not quite comfortable with it yet.  Also added K-9 mail (after looking it up and getting confused by "K9" web child-protector!).  It's been crashing on me way too much, but I have managed to send mail.

Does anybody know a good audio streaming app that takes a simple URL?  I've got in the habit of having my Pi streaming Radio Caroline, and it would be nice to take the stream with me to the coffee shop.  There is a Caroline app, but I much prefer getting the stream directly, so I'm in control.

I haven't installed Word yet.  I don't normally need full word-processor features, so is there any editor somewhere between that and Notes?
Oh, yeah -- I also installed Termux (with vi!), but it seems to have its own dataspace, so I'm not sure if I can access Android files.

I don't think a WiFi-only flashing kit is available yet, but in any case I want to get a feel for the new-to-me Android first.

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2018, 04:39:14 am »
I'm glad you're happy, Pete   As I slowly get my Gemini set up and get familiar with it, it's starting to feel more like ‘my’ machine, and I'm sure I'll be loving it to bits before too long.  It's certainly a worthy Psion replacement.

The question of apps is an interesting one.  I'm completely new to Android, but have already found a few promising apps.  This topic's already spread far too wide, though, so I'll start some new ones!
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Charlie Stross

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2018, 06:59:03 am »
Order 4655 (wifi + 4G) is out for delivery today, in the UK. So is the camera module I ordered separately.

So I think they must be most of the way through shipping the backlog at this point.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2018, 07:24:43 pm »
I was out this evening and I had to restrain myself from abandoning the event and coming home to play.
Mine came with the cable, charger, removal tool and separately the camera module. Removing the back is scary! I slapped in a spare Three SIM and a 64GB memory card.
So far the keyboard seems fine, even the space bar although it does make a different noise as does the Del key.
And yes, I did make the classic mistake of trying to turn it on using the camera button.

This message typed on the G.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 07:25:18 pm by speculatrix »

MadMac

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2018, 07:02:26 am »
Gemini WiFi+4G and camera module on the way, order >5800, German keyboard.
Expect it to arrive early next week.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 07:03:53 am by MadMac »

miked1541

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2018, 01:34:08 pm »
Quote from: speculatrix
And yes, I did make the classic mistake of trying to turn it on using the camera button.

I received my wifi only unit earlier this week.  I wonder if there is a way to reconfigure the button for power rather than Google Assist.  That would be cool.

miked1541