Author Topic: Debian (technology preview) firmware now available for download!  (Read 13809 times)

user

The Linux Support page has been updated - you can now download the following items:

- Flashing tool
- Flashing tool drivers
- Android firmware
- Debian firmware, technology preview version

http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Linux_Support
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 02:06:15 am by user »

Grench

• View Profile
Debian (technology preview) firmware now available for download!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 11:01:48 am »
Quote from: Guest
The Linux Support page has been updated - you can now download the following items:

- Flashing tool
- Flashing tool drivers
- Android firmware

From the planetcom Linux support website:
Linux Support
Linux Installation Notes.

The following steps will allow you to flash an original Android firmware or a Linux dual boot firmware. At the moment the flash tool only supports Windows.

Did anyone else have a face palm moment?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 02:18:18 pm by Varti »

depscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 12:12:48 pm »
Quote from: Grench

Um, yeah. I'm surprised they didn't provide an OS/2 installer. Or maybe DOS (2.11 or earlier). Because it's well known that all people who want Linux devices have machines sitting around running on undesirable operating systems.

Actually, that's not fair -- OS/2 and DOS 2.11 were perfectly desirable operating systems.
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket

mifritscher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 03:32:05 pm »
I looked at the debian TP  in its scatter file and I'm confused about userdata/linux-boot they seem to be copied in the same physical region albeit a different partition index?

Murple2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 04:46:47 pm »
If anyone wants to look at the Debian rootfs then (under linux)...

Code: [Select]
sudo mount -t auto Gemini_Debian_TP/debian.img /mnt

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://github.com/greguu
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 02:04:32 am »
Linux Kernel Config for 3.18.41 (linux_boot.img) https://paste.ee/p/Y1wXM
Gemini-PDA (Sailfish X and Android) / LG Nexus 5 (Android 11) / Nokia N9 (MeeGo/Harmattan)
Sharp Zaurus C3100 (Borzoi) - Void Linux (voidz) Kernel 5.0.0 - Hardware (Buffalo CF LAN, DLink 660 CF WiFi, ASIX AX88772 USB Ethernet)

Beiriannydd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 06:34:54 am »
Ooh, a quick glance shows Cgroup support. Has anyone tried docker?

Anonymous_

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 06:35:23 am »
Quote from: depscribe

Um, yeah. I'm surprised they didn't provide an OS/2 installer. Or maybe DOS (2.11 or earlier). Because it's well known that all people who want Linux devices have machines sitting around running on undesirable operating systems.

Actually, that's not fair -- OS/2 and DOS 2.11 were perfectly desirable operating systems.
wtf. Are you really comparing Linux to obsolete systems like OS/2 and DOS?

I also run Windows only in VM. Not complaining, however I totally understand those, who miss proper Linux/OS X builds of the tools. Your comment is totally missing the point.

Gemini is based on Linux (even Android is using Linux kernel) and the flash tool is Windows-only? The Grench's comment is totally valid and understandable.

depscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 10:03:07 am »
Quote from: Anonymous_
Quote from: depscribe

wtf. Are you really comparing Linux to obsolete systems like OS/2 and DOS?

I also run Windows only in VM. Not complaining, however I totally understand those, who miss proper Linux/OS X builds of the tools. Your comment is totally missing the point.

Gemini is based on Linux (even Android is using Linux kernel) and the flash tool is Windows-only? The Grench's comment is totally valid and understandable.
I didn't realize that my comment could be taken to mean the opposite of what I intended. I wasn't likening Linux to those venerable operating systems, I was listing some other operating systems that Linux users are unlikely to be using. So a Windows-based Linux installer is for at least some of us as useless as a DOS-based or OS/2-based one.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:38:04 am by Varti »
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket

jornada720

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 11:55:16 pm »

- Flashing tool
- Flashing tool drivers
- Android firmware

Has anyone who has a Gemini actually tried Debian on it?

I don't think I've seen any reviews on here about the Linux experience. Lots of comments about what the Android is like though.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 02:18:49 pm by Varti »

JMD

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 01:38:20 am »
I've downloaded the tools and the image, but when I tried to unzip the image it says it is corrupt. I have tried downloading it a couple of times using different methods but same result every time,

J

Quote from: jornada720

- Flashing tool
- Flashing tool drivers
- Android firmware

Has anyone who has a Gemini actually tried Debian on it?

I don't think I've seen any reviews on here about the Linux experience. Lots of comments about what the Android is like though.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 02:19:12 pm by Varti »

salvomic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 03:42:08 am »
Quote from: JMD
I've downloaded the tools and the image, but when I tried to unzip the image it says it is corrupt. I have tried downloading it a couple of times using different methods but same result every time,

J

I downloaded all in Mac OS X and all folders unzip well. Then, I cannot try if the images are correctly unzipped, I reckon yes, considering that the OS hasn't complaint about errors...
Recently they have uploaded new version of tools, maybe you could try deleting all and download again.

Salvo
Gemini, Psion S5 and S5mx, iPhone, iPad, Huawei MediaPad M5, some HP calculators.
Psion Fans Italia moderator

JMD

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 12:07:57 am »
Tried again from another PC but still the same thing, I notice when you unzip there is a folder specifically for MAC, don't know the significance but maybe it will work on MAC. I have had no luck downloading  and unzipping using Windows or Linux,

Thx

J

Quote from: salvomic

J

I downloaded all in Mac OS X and all folders unzip well. Then, I cannot try if the images are correctly unzipped, I reckon yes, considering that the OS hasn't complaint about errors...
Recently they have uploaded new version of tools, maybe you could try deleting all and download again.

Salvo

salvomic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 02:34:43 am »
Tried again from another PC but still the same thing, I notice when you unzip there is a folder specifically for MAC, don't know the significance but maybe it will work on MAC. I have had no luck downloading  and unzipping using Windows or Linux,

Thx

J

no, that folder means that the file was created on a Mac, you can ignore it.
Here (in a Mac) I can download and unzip it well.

Please, delete your downloaded files in \Downloads and C:\users\*username*\download folders (Windows), if you already haven't tried it.

Salvo
Gemini, Psion S5 and S5mx, iPhone, iPad, Huawei MediaPad M5, some HP calculators.
Psion Fans Italia moderator

paulx

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 04:24:31 am »
Someone had to try it...

I just used SP_Flash_Tool_exe_Linux_v5.1804.00.100.zip and reflashed the Android image from my Linux laptop. I started with reading the NVRAM image which read fine then flashed Gemini_Android_1_1_0 again. It all worked and I got a new setup screen and configured for google etc again. I made and received a phone call fine.

Can't remember where I downloaded it from! Probably on here somewhere
https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/ro...llinux-t3160802

YMMV