Author Topic: Going back to my old iPhone  (Read 1911 times)

Lyall Pearce

• View Profile
Going back to my old iPhone
« on: May 13, 2018, 05:02:48 am »
After being in the first batch to receive my Gemini, I am going back to my old iPhone 5s as my primary phone.
My reasons are, using out of the box Android
1. Bluetooth controls do not work if the gemini is closed - this was the main one
2. In the dark, because of the nerve damage of my fingers from cancer treatments, I have difficulty locating the correct key, particularly the Fn key to turn off the display
3. Gemini randomly totally reboots during a phone call, with no cause that I have been able to determine (holding Gemini to ear, Gemini in speaker mode sitting on a table) - only 6 times so far...
4. Bluetooth disabled after reboot, regardless of settings prior.

If point one is fixed, I may re-try moving to the Gemini as my primary phone.
Point 2 could be solved, at least for me, with keyboard backlight, or as a minimum, identified keys being backlit, preferably by a preferences app
Points 3 and 4 minor irritants that I could put up with if I could overcome 1 and 2.

Other than this, I managed to get all the functionality I wanted migrated from the iPhone with only a little effort. (calendar/contact sync to NextCloud being the prime one). It's a shame but I will continue to support the Gemini, it being a great idea from an old Psion Revo user.
...Lyall

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 09:11:09 pm »
Quote from: Lyall Pearce
After being in the first batch to receive my Gemini, I am going back to my old iPhone 5s as my primary phone.
1. Bluetooth controls do not work if the gemini is closed - this was the main one
2. In the dark, because of the nerve damage of my fingers from cancer treatments, I have difficulty locating the correct key, particularly the Fn key to turn off the display
3. Gemini randomly totally reboots during a phone call, with no cause that I have been able to determine (holding Gemini to ear, Gemini in speaker mode sitting on a table) - only 6 times so far...

Point 2 could be solved, at least for me, with keyboard backlight, or as a minimum, identified keys being backlit, preferably by a preferences app
Points 3 and 4 minor irritants that I could put up with if I could overcome 1 and 2.

Other than this, I managed to get all the functionality I wanted migrated from the iPhone with only a little effort. (calendar/contact sync to NextCloud being the prime one). It's a shame but I will continue to support the Gemini, it being a great idea from an old Psion Revo user.

Sad to see you go. Just a few questions though....

1. For bluetooth, you mean bluetooth navigation when listening to songs etc? My car controls work fine when the phone is shut. When listening through headphones, I use vanilla music player which allows you to shake for the next song.
2. Hmmm. Got me there - maybe fluorescent paint/die carefully applied to the keys.
3. Only help I have here is disable VoLTE. I had problems at first, now I am rock solid without VoLTE
4. Again, quite wierd. I reboot very occaisionally, however I've never had to restart bluetooth. I rebooted last night as android was getting a bit slow, and my car connected this morning. Is there an android setting which controls this?

petefoth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 01:57:38 am »
<snip>
Other than this, I managed to get all the functionality I wanted migrated from the iPhone with only a little effort. (calendar/contact sync to NextCloud being the prime one).

As a matter of interest, which app did you use for the contacts and calendar sync? I use CardDAV-Sync free and CalDAV-Sync from dmfs.org on my main phone, and DavDroid on the backup. I am wondering what to use when my Gemini arrives

Lyall Pearce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 03:37:20 am »
Quote from: petefoth
<snip>
Other than this, I managed to get all the functionality I wanted migrated from the iPhone with only a little effort. (calendar/contact sync to NextCloud being the prime one).

As a matter of interest, which app did you use for the contacts and calendar sync? I use CardDAV-Sync free and CalDAV-Sync from dmfs.org on my main phone, and DavDroid on the backup. I am wondering what to use when my Gemini arrives
I use davdroid.
...Lyall

Lyall Pearce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 03:40:37 am »
My bluetooth headset (prime listening device), is a skull candy with volume and 'play/pause' in the middle. None work whilst the Gemini is closed.
As an additional note, the Gemini, by default, does not remember volume for a bluetooth device, requiring me to use an app.

Settings -> Bluetooth on/off, after reboot, it's always off.

Still have the Gemini, just won't be using it as my primary phone, till my iPhone wears out.

Quote from: vader

Sad to see you go. Just a few questions though....

1. For bluetooth, you mean bluetooth navigation when listening to songs etc? My car controls work fine when the phone is shut. When listening through headphones, I use vanilla music player which allows you to shake for the next song.
2. Hmmm. Got me there - maybe fluorescent paint/die carefully applied to the keys.
3. Only help I have here is disable VoLTE. I had problems at first, now I am rock solid without VoLTE
4. Again, quite wierd. I reboot very occaisionally, however I've never had to restart bluetooth. I rebooted last night as android was getting a bit slow, and my car connected this morning. Is there an android setting which controls this?
...Lyall