Author Topic: PgUp / PgDn (Page Up / Page Down) not working?  (Read 6816 times)

Alius

• View Profile
PgUp / PgDn (Page Up / Page Down) not working?
« on: May 15, 2018, 10:51:35 am »
After a quick chat on #gemini-pda on IRC, it seems I am not alone.  And there did not seem to be an existing topic on this issue.  As Linux users report functional pgup/pgdn, I am creating this topic under the Android OS subforum.  If I missed an existing topic please feel free to merge or ignore me

Does anyone have WORKING PgUp/PgDn keys in Android?

Apps I have tried and in which the keys do not work (treated as normal Up/Down arrows instead):

JuiceSSH
Microsoft remote desktop client for Android
TeamViewer
Firefox

Edit: And yes I followed the instructions at http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Configuration to update the keyboard application and configure the layout.  I have a US English model Gemini from batch 2.

Edit 2: Additional apps where pgup/pgdn do not work: Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel :-/
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:13:39 am by Alius »

Grench

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 03:03:36 pm »
Quote from: Alius
After a quick chat on #gemini-pda on IRC, it seems I am not alone.  And there did not seem to be an existing topic on this issue.  As Linux users report functional pgup/pgdn, I am creating this topic under the Android OS subforum.  If I missed an existing topic please feel free to merge or ignore me

Does anyone have WORKING PgUp/PgDn keys in Android?

Apps I have tried and in which the keys do not work (treated as normal Up/Down arrows instead):

JuiceSSH
Microsoft remote desktop client for Android
TeamViewer
Firefox

Edit: And yes I followed the instructions at http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Configuration to update the keyboard application and configure the layout.  I have a US English model Gemini from batch 2.

Edit 2: Additional apps where pgup/pgdn do not work: Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel :-/

I can at least verify that under Android the PgUp/PgDn/Home/End don't seem to work.  I was hoping that Planet would be coming out with some software updates for that.

Alius

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 03:41:12 pm »
Thanks for the input.  I too hope this will have a software fix at some point.

Grench

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 04:35:37 pm »

If only Planet Computers had someplace official that we could submit bugs to and have them acknowledged and tracked.

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 06:43:25 pm »
Quote from: Grench

If only Planet Computers had someplace official that we could submit bugs to and have them acknowledged and tracked.

Page up and down work fine for me, but only in apps which support it. In TextMaker it does exactly what you expect. Home and End also work. I think it is just that some apps don't support the page up/down keys. They don't work, for example, viewing pages in firefox.

Alius

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 06:56:02 pm »
Quote from: Grench

Aye, seems no new input to that discussion in a month or so.

One quick additional note:  Home/End DO work for me in the text messaging app, although not in Microsoft Word or passed through Microsoft's remote desktop client for android

Quote from: vader
Page up and down work fine for me, but only in apps which support it. In TextMaker it does exactly what you expect. Home and End also work. I think it is just that some apps don't support the page up/down keys. They don't work, for example, viewing pages in firefox.

Interesting, thanks!  It sounds like I had just not yet found any app that supports page up/down.  Disappointing that JuiceSSH does not, since that means i have to use the on screen pop-up keyboard to scroll in irssi
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:59:09 pm by Alius »

Isaac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 07:56:16 pm »
Just a note that emails sent to hello@planetcom.co.uk do seem to receive a ticket number, though follow up is not always great.

munchausen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 03:17:45 am »
I have the same problem. Though I note that in chrome alt+up and alt+down work, but I really need them to work in termux. No matter, as tonight I will install linux...

Alius

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 09:48:30 am »
Quote from: munchausen
I have the same problem. Though I note that in chrome alt+up and alt+down work, but I really need them to work in termux. No matter, as tonight I will install linux...

Interesting!  In firefox, alt+up and alt+down appear to function as home (top of page) and end (very bottom of page).  As do alt+left and alt+right (no political comment intended on that last one)

terryowen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 06:44:08 pm »
I've also noticed the problem. I initially saw it in Termux Emacs but was confused as it seemed to work here and there in other apps. At least now I understand why. (I'm US English keyboard with the Android from the second x27 batch, no changes.)

jornada720

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 10:33:56 am »
Quote from: terryowen
I've also noticed the problem. I initially saw it in Termux Emacs but was confused as it seemed to work here and there in other apps. At least now I understand why. (I'm US English keyboard with the Android from the second x27 batch, no changes.)

Unfortunately, this problem is one that exists on any Android device with a keyboard. Google and other toolkit developers for Android have neglected to specify key bindings for text controls in their APIs. Thus, it is a crap shoot as to which programs will support Home, End, and other insertion point movement keys.

This is one of several reasons why I really wish I could only use Linux on my Gemini but unfortunately it's not quite there yet.

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 09:09:26 pm »
In my preferred Android text editor Jota+ from Aquamarine Networks, Fn+arrows doesn't work, but Alt+arrows does. By default I think Jota+ uses PgUp and PgDn to change tabs. I've set mine to be PgUp and PgDn.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 05:46:06 am »
A ticket has been opened on Termux' bug tracker, hopefully this will be fixed in the near future:

https://github.com/termux/termux-app/issues/731

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

Georgius

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 04:47:31 am »
Hello,
 I have Czech Gemini. If I connect external USB keyboard, PgUP/Dn Home and End keys work as expected. Fn-arrow should do the same on Gemini physical keyboard, but they do not. I tried several applications and in none of those these keystrokes were processed correctly. According to used .kcm file "fallback MOVE_END" and similar are sent, which should be OK. Any hints ?

thanks
   Georgius
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 06:15:34 am by Varti »

zevv

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 12:47:39 pm »
I just fixed this in Termux and submitted a pull request to upstream. Now we wait.

For the impatient, the brave and the testers, here is a debug build: http://zevv.nl/div/termux-gemini-debug.apk