Author Topic: New firmware update released  (Read 7735 times)

smapmap

• View Profile
New firmware update released
« on: June 14, 2018, 04:57:48 am »
Anyone know what's included in the latest firmware? Installing now....

smapmap

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 05:28:26 am »
Observations so far
- comes in at around 116 Meg
- you can keep the app bar 'always on now' without it intercepting every keystroke - yay!
- Bluetooth seems to be a lot more robust. Automatically turns on when you boot up your Gemini.
- Google Assistant appears to be working when the device is closed - I will reboot a few times just to test it more thoroughly - so far so good
- No new apps as far as i can see
- No new issues to report so far
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:32:47 am by smapmap »

salvomic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 05:53:41 am »
All went well here, but after the update the date here is 1206, not 13 as they said: Gemini-7.1-Planet-12062018-V2.
Battery returns still 93% 3h remain after 35min, strange... However at 39min it returns 92% 1day2h, perhaps a recalibration...

Ledison now has "Caller-id animations", but it closes clicking on this option (here with Nova Launcher)...

No other issues noted.

Salvo
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:55:22 am by salvomic »
Gemini, Psion S5 and S5mx, iPhone, iPad, Huawei MediaPad M5, some HP calculators.
Psion Fans Italia moderator

smapmap

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 05:58:55 am »
Bluetooth headset interactions (next track, previous track etc) still not working when device closed

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 06:04:42 am »
I reflashed my Gemini with the rooted Android.  Now it's offering the new firmware.

Does anyone know if it's safe to install on a rooted Gemini?  If so, will it ‘un-root’?
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

scops

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 06:10:36 am »
i got an update notification with
Version: Gemini-7.1-Planet-10052018-V2.<2018-05-1015:09>
Size; 60.41M
Date: 2018-06-13

if i load, want to install it, my gemini reboots and the bootloader says:

E3005 EMMC:".... boot ...." has unexpected contents"
Update.zip is not correct.
installation aborted.

i think since it mentioned my boot partition the update i think it don't work for rooted devices.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 06:13:02 am by scops »
OpenPandora, Jolla C, BQ M10 fHD (ubports), MacBook Pro Retina (mid-2012), Zaurus SL-5500, OpenMoko Freerunner, Geeksphone Keon (ffOS 2.x), a few Raspberries, too many game consoles and Android devices,...

... and soon: Dragonbox Pyra, Librem 5

YourTech John

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 06:36:20 am »
Can confirm.. for rooted/dual-boot linux, I get "error: partition table not match".

I know it's still early stages, but I do hope an update path becomes available for rooted or dual-boot phones. Even a manual process would be fine, as long as we don't have have to "factory reset" each time.

For now, I'll "wait and see".

Weasalopes

• View Profile
    • http://kd7mvs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 09:07:16 am »
Quote from: YourTech John
Can confirm.. for rooted/dual-boot linux, I get "error: partition table not match".

I know it's still early stages, but I do hope an update path becomes available for rooted or dual-boot phones. Even a manual process would be fine, as long as we don't have have to "factory reset" each time.

For now, I'll "wait and see".
Yes.

I have dual boot Android/Linux (not rooted), and that is the message I got.

If dual boot was an unauthorized hack, this would be understandable, but as it was a major selling point, it does not reflect well upon them that their Android Firmware Update does not allow for a dual boot partition table.

Since the installation software for the dual boot system requires you to set the size of the Android/Linux partitions on-the-fly a firmware update that requires a specific partition size rather than a properly identified partition of at least X size is not going to work.

Since I don't believe that you have to reinstall your various apps after applying an update, it can't be a complete overwrite of the partition. That would argue that it modifies the partition contents selectively, since it wouldn't be possible to retain already installed third party apps otherwise. If it can selectively modify the partition contents, it should not require a set partition size, just a partition that is sufficiently large and properly labelled such that it knows it is the appropriate partition.

"Should" and "actually possible", of course, may not be the same thing at all. Given that firmware updates are manufacturer specific, I suspect that the standard practice of validating a device for a firmware upgrade is to check it against a template physically describing the device. Such a description would include where the firmware resides. If there is a dedicated chip for the firmware, this would not be a problem. But, if the firmware resides on the same physical media as the OS, it is possible that it would actually require a specific partition table structure for the OS to confirm that it is a compatible device. Given that the installation process for the dual boot Android/Linux allows you to set your partitions to pretty much whatever size you desire so long as they are large enough for the respective OSes to install, there is no "standard" partition table for a dual boot system when you include size of the partitions as part of the description, and thus if the Android OS actually requires a defined partition table, including size of partitions, for a firmware upgrade, and it isn't possible to provide that interactively during the firmware upgrade process, we're SOL. Unless there is a means to apply the firmware update via another OS which would allow for a variable partition structure in the target device.

Um, is that a logical analysis? Am I off-base in my chain of reasoning? And does it reflect reality? I have to admit to working in a vacuum in regard to how the Android OS operates, and how firmware updates are vetted prior to installation, and how they are actually installed after passing that vetting process.

~~~~
Weasalopes

iJacks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 09:21:20 am »
As somebody that has my device dual booting I was unable to update, I contacted Planet Computers support and was told:

You will be able to correct this later today once we update the download links for firmware on our website. You will, unfortunately, have to re-flash again, but you can untick the user partition in order to avoid data loss.

I have asked a follow up question to see if those of us with root and/or dual boot will ever to perform an OTA update - I will post whatever response I receive.  I am not overly happy having to manually update Android each time, but I can live with it (for now) - one thing I AM happy about though, Planet Computers got back to me within 1 1/2 hours - not bad for a small company.

mggr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 09:32:44 am »
Reluctant to update just yet. Like to leave firmware updates a few weeks for reported bugs to appear and then see if its worth the update.

There is a report on indeigogo below which I believe hasn't been mentioned above, can anyone confirm this is the case?

===============================================================================
Jon Crawford
3 hours ago
Be a bit careful about the firmware announced in update #58. It also rolls the security patch level back to Nov 2017 from Feb 2018; that’s EIGHT months of security updates missing. All for VoLTE. Not good, Planet.
===============================================================================

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 11:27:43 am »
Quote from: iJacks
you can untick the user partition in order to avoid data loss.

Is there any detail on how to do that?  (It's not something I want to try without being sure!)

And yes, Planet do seem pretty responsive considering their circumstances.  (Their heart's clearly in the right place.)
   Andy/

iJacks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 11:56:10 am »
Quote from: gidds
Is there any detail on how to do that?  (It's not something I want to try without being sure!)

As I understand it, in the flash tool (note I am on Windows, should be the same for Linux) all we need to do it untick the line called "userdata" once a scatter file has been selected - then flash as normal.  However, I have not yet tried this and the instructions that have been suplied are not what I would call detailed.  The update hasn't been published to the support site yet either, and we are rapidly approaching end of business day in the UK so we might not see it till tomorrow now.

Does anybody have detailed instructions on using the flash tool?  I had to find a post on Redit about pressing flash then rebooting the Gemini for it to be detected - that snippet wasn't on the official instruction page.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

On the plus side, I asked Planet "Is there any chance that in the future OTA updates will work for those of us with rooted and/or dual boot based devices?" and the response I just received was:

Yes, this update actually corrects those issues. It should no longer be a problem with our future updates.

So if manually flashing this release is a one off I will be very happy indeed!

nox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 12:17:06 pm »
Those (edited) f**k up my Gemini again... again !!!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:08:57 pm by Varti »

Richard Regal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 12:59:55 pm »
Quote from: gidds
Does anyone know if it's safe to install on a rooted Gemini?
Well it has not worked on my rooted Gemini. One hour after starting the install I am still on the screen with the droid having his abdomen opened.
Richard Regal

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 01:55:44 pm »
Quote from: iJacks
Does anybody have detailed instructions on using the flash tool?

I posted some details here after (finally) getting it to work.

Highlights: I only have Macs, and didn't want to dual-boot, so I set up a Linux live USB and booted from that.  It failed completely with Ubuntu, but worked with Debian 9.  (However, wifi didn't work on the official one; it needs the unofficial Debian 9 with non-free additions.)  It also needed an extra library to be installed, but I found a source for that.  (All the details are in the linked post.)

Once it's running, you set up the Flash Tool as described on Planet's pages, power down the Gemini, set the Flash Tool going, and then connect the Gemini — I didn't need to boot the Gemini at all.

HTH…
   Andy/