Author Topic: rubber strip  (Read 4856 times)

Calamityspice

• View Profile
rubber strip
« on: June 14, 2018, 09:24:12 pm »
The rubber strip in the middle of the hinge that rests on my desk when the Gemini is open has started to detach.

Any suggestions? Or should I just contact Planet Computers?

It's all very Psionesque, like when the rubberized coating on the Psion 3C used to peel off.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:25:09 pm by Calamityspice »

depscribe

• View Profile
rubber strip
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 09:39:24 pm »
Quote from: Calamityspice
The rubber strip in the middle of the hinge that rests on my desk when the Gemini is open has started to detach.

Any suggestions? Or should I just contact Planet Computers?

It's all very Psionesque, like when the rubberized coating on the Psion 3C used to peel off.
Mine did the same thing. it's a matter of carefully pushing the little rubber nubs back into the holes whence they came. Long, term, I don't know. Mine came loose as a result of being in an overly tight leatherish case. I don't use that case anymore and have ordered a slightly larger canvas one.
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket

Calamityspice

• View Profile
rubber strip
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 10:11:27 pm »
It hasn't actually popped out of the nubs. It's just a little lumpy. I can live with it given that it's a 1.0 device. Just wondering if there wasa quick fix.

Ta

depscribe

• View Profile
rubber strip
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 10:57:32 pm »
Quote from: Calamityspice
It hasn't actually popped out of the nubs. It's just a little lumpy. I can live with it given that it's a 1.0 device. Just wondering if there wasa quick fix.

Ta
The lumps are opposite the little rubber nubbins. You can kind of massage it back into a firmer seating, and I suppose you could reinforce it with a little dab of adhesive. I'm hoping some enterprising person or company will produce skins for the Gemini that make more sense than the current design.
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket

Mithren Ithil

• View Profile
rubber strip
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 06:43:55 am »
Quote from: depscribe
Mine did the same thing. it's a matter of carefully pushing the little rubber nubs back into the holes whence they came. Long, term, I don't know. Mine came loose as a result of being in an overly tight leatherish case. I don't use that case anymore and have ordered a slightly larger canvas one.

I just received my case and hub *yay*, but trying to use the case has caused my a part of the rubber strip to bulge out a little.  I have to force myself to not pick at it and hope it goes back to normal.  I would advise people to pre-stretch the case with something else or not use it at all.

epninety

• View Profile
rubber strip
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 10:28:16 am »
The rubber strip on mine was loose in a middle span from day one.

A tiny amount of cyanoacrylate adhesive (superglue) on the end of a cocktail stick will secure it to the metal probably stronger than the rubber itself.

Dixit

• View Profile
rubber strip
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 03:42:19 pm »
Thanks for the warning, y'all.

I received a track & trace e-mail that my case and hub are on their way. No news whatsoever about the HDMI-cable and the extra charger...
The tracking number does not work and the case hasn't arrived yet.

Well, that's actually good news. I will pre-stretch it before I stick the Gemini in.

Dixit

• View Profile
rubber strip
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 09:16:34 am »
Quote from: Dixit

I received a track & trace e-mail that my case and hub are on their way. No news whatsoever about the HDMI-cable and the extra charger...

Well, that's actually good news. I will pre-stretch it before I stick the Gemini in.

The case arrived this morning. Very snug indeed.

Otherwise, I am not particularly impressed. These kinds of cases were 'given away' in the past, as a part of the standard PDA package, in the good old days of Palm and Blackberry (for example).
It really is just a sleeve and sleeves just like this can be directly bought from China for $ 2, which includes postage. More than 40 pounds are a bit excessive...

For those wo haven't yet purchased it: you may want to have a look at cheaper alternatives anyway.

Murple2

• View Profile
rubber strip
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 09:30:29 am »

The case arrived this morning. Very snug indeed.

Otherwise, I am not particularly impressed. These kinds of cases were 'given away' in the past, as a part of the standard PDA package, in the good old days of Palm and Blackberry (for example).
It really is just a sleeve and sleeves just like this can be directly bought from China for $ 2, which includes postage. More than 40 pounds are a bit excessive...

For those wo haven't yet purchased it: you may want to have a look at cheaper alternatives anyway.

You can't buy a *leather* pouch for $2.  I'm not saying that it's worth it, but it goes some way to explain the price. I doubt that PC will offer it again for the next version gemini - animal skin is somewhat out of fashion and lots of people have complained about the price.

Dixit

• View Profile
rubber strip
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 10:13:21 am »
I bought a fully leather 'book case' sleeve for my Asus EEE PC. It cost €2 including postage.

OK, that's a few years ago, but its also more animal skin as the Asus was a lot bigger.

Oh... and it arrived from China 5 days later.

The only worry I had with it: should our own customs or our own postal service have seen it then they would have charged $ 20 handling costs...

Calamityspice

• View Profile
rubber strip
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 11:04:52 pm »
Months  later, the rubber strip is still a little wobbly. It hasn't got worse. No biggie.

Joern

• View Profile
    • http://www.joernpachl.de
rubber strip
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 07:33:45 am »
Same with mine. After three month, the rubber strip is wobbly but still in place.

Ifanafi

• View Profile
rubber strip
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 11:21:06 am »
QUICK FIX as some have reported elsewhere herein:

After easily removing the front cover and then the hinge, use a pin or toothpick to apply the smallest droplet of either super glue or some quick drying glue to each of the rubber strip's inside nibs.
Let dry.
If needed, and also using a pin, touch the smallest amount of glue to the underside of the rubber strip sections that are lose.
Apply some pressure and let the fast-drying super-type glue dry.

This quick-fix fixed my Gem's lose rubber strips almost immediately!

Onward!

IFANAFI

Quote from: Joern
Same with mine. After three month, the rubber strip is wobbly but still in place.