Author Topic: The New Firmware / MultiBootTool  (Read 3011 times)

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
The New Firmware / MultiBootTool
« on: June 22, 2018, 05:00:15 pm »
If you have not found it yet the support pages have been updated at:
http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/L..._Flashing_Guide

There is now a little web based partition tool that lets you pick the OS or combination of OS you want and assign to buttons you hold on boot

http://support.planetcom.co.uk/partitionTool.html

Based on your answers & some logic in the web page then gives you the relevant scatter and image files.  

I gave it a go selecting 100% space for Android with default boot rooted and boot2 standard android.  this gives me a scatter file "Gemini_WIFI_AndroidOnly.txt"

I managed to flash OK and when booting I get a different boot screen with a penguin overloooking the planets  but when installing and running rootcheckerI am told the device is not rooted    

If I select a Debian/Andorid Mix I get filenames like Gemini_WIFI_A46GB_L10GB_Multi_Boot.txt  where te 46and 10 are the memory I assign to each   As soon as you are 100% android The scatter file name does not change despite picking rooted and standard as options so I wonder if it's a bug?

Has anyone else managed to flash rooted andorid to a WiFi Only this way?

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 05:12:09 pm »
UPDATE - I tried flashing the dual boot and it crashed out half way through, now whenever I try to re-flash using the AndoridOnly.txt  scatter file I get an error "Invalid ROM or PMT Address".  

The Gemini is bricked - boots and gets stuck at the first screen with no rotating planets   then shows a Andorid character on it's side with an exclmation mark - can't even turn off  

HELP!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 05:15:19 pm by rubus-3.142 »

jutleys

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 07:07:43 am »
I tried the triple boot all works apart from sailfish wont recognize my swipes from left to right? i want to flash back and try again but seems there are problems to get back to a single android partition again anyone done that yet?

SNi

• View Profile
    • http://www.sibelle.info
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 03:10:49 pm »
Quote from: jutleys
I tried the triple boot all works apart from sailfish wont recognize my swipes from left to right? i want to flash back and try again but seems there are problems to get back to a single android partition again anyone done that yet?

Well, this seems a mixed bag. I too followed the PC instructions to set up a triple boot, and was less successful than you, but fared better than rubus-3.142  see https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?s=&...st&p=287648

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 08:27:13 am »
Hey - realize you are a bit upset but remain calm and mind your language.

I managed to recover from this by replacing the NVRAM with the backup I made  with a bit of searching on the forum, see here.
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...mp;#entry287622

What's the exact error
Can you still connect to it with the flash tool and try reflashing the original firmware?

PS What's a reach-around?

Quote from: Ifanafi
Techie instructions written for geeks.

My X27 CRASHED during Firmware update.

Device frozen at Planet logo page.

F****D (without buying me dinner and giving me a reach-around)!!!

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 08:49:59 am »
After some excitement early yesterday and re-flashing the NVRAM from the backup (see post  above) I made which I think holds the partition table I managed to get back to the stock android and then to the  dual boot Android - root  norm / no root (silver button) and it work fine (also had a 100% Debian as well at some point during the recovery process)

Although the scatter files you download from the new web tool have the same FILENAME irrespective of the options you select for the buttons if you save and  compare  them they ARE different.

Not got any further than a simple "root checker" app yet, but I am curious what my banking app will make of it - it will not work on rooted phone,  but if I only open when booting in "no-root" what will it think....

After my "near miss" bricking I am  going to give it a week or so to see what come up on here before going for the triple  (Root/No-Root/Debian), from what I saw yesterday Debain on such a small screen looked hard!.  But  reminder to All

BACKUP THE NVRAM BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 12:30:32 pm »
A hand job from behind.

UPDATE: All is now well. Gemini reset and updated.

Thank you for showing concern (whereas others express ridicule particularly on PC's Indiegogo Comments pages).

Cheers!

Quote from: rubus-3.142
Hey - realize you are a bit upset but remain calm and mind your language.

I managed to recover from this by replacing the NVRAM with the backup I made  with a bit of searching on the forum, see here.
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...mp;#entry287622

What's the exact error
Can you still connect to it with the flash tool and try reflashing the original firmware?

PS What's a reach-around?

Quote from: Ifanafi
Techie instructions written for geeks.

My X27 CRASHED during Firmware update.

Device frozen at Planet logo page.

F****D (without buying me dinner and giving me a reach-around)!!!

Murple2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 02:07:40 pm »
This is genuinely my favourite thread on the forum purely for Ifanafi's beautifully descriptive language. Although not to everyone's taste, which is fair enough. I'm glad you are all un-bricked.

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 12:24:15 pm »
Thanks mate!

Any language skills I have were acquired through disciplined schooling from hard-case, knuckle-smacking, full-habit wearing nuns, from in-your-face Irish, amateur boxers turned Jesuit priests at prep school, and downing countless gallons of hot tea while writing and typing (on a electric typewriter) scores (of reams) of course and term papers... for a BA, English (with two honors).

Forgive my proud boastfulness.

Ifanafi

Quote from: Murple2
This is genuinely my favourite thread on the forum purely for Ifanafi's beautifully descriptive language. Although not to everyone's taste, which is fair enough. I'm glad you are all un-bricked.

Murple2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 12:30:42 pm »
Can anyone answer this question -

If I use the new image tool and select rooted android, do I still need to manually replace boot.img with the rooted version?

Thnaks

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 07:07:40 pm »
If I use the new image tool and select rooted android, do I still need to manually replace boot.img with the rooted version?

When I used the image tool, it generated a scatter file with root_boot.img
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Murple2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 07:38:55 pm »
Quote from: gidds

When I used the image tool, it generated a scatter file with root_boot.img

Thanks