Author Topic: Battery Consumption in Standby  (Read 5647 times)

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
Battery Consumption in Standby
« on: June 30, 2018, 04:33:08 pm »
My [rooted with planet firmware] WiFi Only Gemini seems to be suffering from quite high power drain.....

Last night 22:00 unplugged at 100% and left with lid closed - WiFi was turned on but the actual WiFi network it uses was turned  off (i.e. router powered down) from 23:00 to 06:00.  

By 10:00 this morning i.e. 12 hours it had used 53% of the battery

At this point I enabled "Battery saver"  WiFi remained on on the gemini and the network remained available

By 20:00 this evening (10 hours later) it was totally flat - so I am using battery at around 5% per hour irrespective of the battery saver setting.  
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

This seems very high?  I am sure when I first had it (before rooting)  this was not the case?  As a benchmark by Samsung J5 phone will last a week sat on the table doing nothing

The only things showing as "use since last charge" are
Screen 18%
WiFi 7%

So what's the other 75% of the drain that is not showing in the batter monitor? - how to find out?

I'm interested what others are experiencing
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 04:00:02 am by rubus-3.142 »

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 07:26:33 pm »
Quote from: rubus-3.142
The only things showing as "use since last charge" are
Screen 18%
WiFi 7%

So what's the other 75% of the drain that is not showing in the batter monitor? - how to find out?

I'm interested what others are experiencing
That is the power that fuels the revolutionary energy company that has found a solution for TRULY wireless power transfer. So their business model is simply to steal the energy from us and sell it to their customers... They are only targeting Geminis, and although there are not very many of them (us?) yet, due to the INSANELY large battery it is more than enough to power at least a few small towns    

Sorry for this (VERY) OT post, but I just couldn't resist.

Another possible "power-thieve" is: A Linux side that has gained AI self-consciousness, and is gathering power to break out/free  

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 03:02:19 am »
UPDATE : A bit of googling shows "Battery Saver" is a thing for when you get down to last 15% of battery and turns just about everything off) there is also  "Inteligent Power Saving" so last night I left this turned on - makes little difference 66% down to 24%   = 4.5% per hour when sat on the table overnight

Only WiFi and Screen showing as using power 30% of the power

graynada

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 04:15:50 am »
You've got something misbehaving somewhere.  I was testing my Notification app the other night and with 4 LEDs lit continuously I was losing 1% per hour max.  I'm guessing you have tried 'turning it off and back on again'? Have you had a look at the awake graph to see if your device is going in to 'doze' mode or awake all the time?  If the later I would suggest some app or service is keeping it awake.  You can have a look at individual app usage but some trial and error removal of apps you have install might be the only route.

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 10:36:02 am »
If you have rooted Android and installed Termux, one way to get an idea of what's busy is the 'top' command.

Start a Termux session, run ‘tsu’ to gain root access, run ‘top’, and press the P key to sort by %CPU.  This puts the busiest processes at the top; and each process's COMMAND gives an idea of what it's doing.  (Some are a bit obscure; for example, I think the process which renders the screen is ‘/system/bin/surfaceflinger’.)

(To finish, press Q to leave top, then hit Ctrl+D a couple of times to close the root and user shells.)
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

DJO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 01:02:20 pm »
Perhaps with your router off it's continually seeking the connection. Do you get the same drain if you leave the router on?

Do you have anything plugged into the USB as I've found a hub even with nothing plugged into it drinks power at an alarming rate.

tuk0z

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 05:15:57 pm »
I made a test this afternoon on the rooted Android in my Gemini:

- Battery 55%, 1 hour standby with lid closed --> 55% (like in zero % used)
- Battery 54%, 6 hours standby "  "   " without any known WiFi network around--> 44% (~ 2% per hour)

At 42% now it says « 1 day 2 hours left » and « Screen 32% and WiFi 6%. »

So, same --actually rather twice the consumption I got on Debian TP2 suspended.

Yours has something eating its battery like mad. Find out who's the culprit with a System Load that has logging.

EDIT:
I turned off WiFi when device's sleeping as listed in https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=34885
- Battery 39%, 8 hour standby --> 33% (0.75% per hour), with

Computer power use:     601 mAh
  Wifi computer power use:   90 mAh
This would give me 130h battery life in standby.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 03:44:14 am by tuk0z »

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 07:08:26 am »
I have now tried various overnight tests - wifi on on the planet / off on the planet and the router on/off - there is nothing plugged in during the testing.  In all cases it managed 4.5% per hour.  When actually off it does not use any measurable power

I purchased a copy of better battery stats and let it running last night, see attached 8 hours at 4.6% per hour - which is same as my own measurements.    See attached screenshots of things keeping a wakelock on the device -

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I am no expert but the culprit seems to be "RILJ phone services" - which is funny for a wifi only device with no phone...

A bit of googling shows this and the location services switch - currently at work and no Gemini but will check again this evening
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1878692
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:09:50 am by rubus-3.142 »

Murple2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 12:40:58 pm »
My 4G Gemini hardly uses any power over night.  I think you are on to something in regards to location services.  Because you haven't got a SIM it looks like it is failing to approximate location based on cell tower info.  Finding some way to prevent this behavior may be tricky as google don't like people to fully disable location services,

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 01:55:05 pm »
Gemini's brand of battery is The Sieve.

Manufactured by Colander Batterys, a division of Screen-Doors-R-Us, China.

Guffaws aside, the following tweaks extended the time between my Gem's recharges:

1. Switching LOCATION off when indoors improves battery longevity.

2. Setting WiFi to NEVER stay on when device is 'sleeping' adds more improvement.

3. Setting Gemini's 'sleep' time to a few minutes of inactivity helps (if you prefer the device's cover open).

4. Either Fn + Esc OR closing the Gem's cover whenever you set it aside turns OFF the battery devouring sinkhole that is the screen.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 11:38:25 am by Ifanafi »

s1b1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 08:10:14 pm »
Mine drains 5 percent per hour on android (Lid closed and in airplane mode) and debian, I formatted it and flashed the nvram backup and other firmware files I initially downloaded. I got the wifi only device a few weeks ago and I think it drained slower before
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 08:12:05 pm by s1b1 »

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 04:59:29 am »
IF POSTING PLEASE BE SPECIFIC IF YOU HAVE WIFI ONLY or 4G

Update after last night - turning off location totally drops things to 4.1% per hour rather than 4.5% but it's not significant

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The RILJ and IMS_RILA Phone services seem to dominate keeping the device awake.  

As far as I see everyone posting on here these with lower rates all have the 4G Gemini (X25 or X27) but those with the WiFi only - me and s1b1 - are experiencing closer to 5%.    

I will dig a bit more but I am starting to think there is some bug in the WiFI firmware making it look for phone functions that are not there?

Murple2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 05:29:09 am »
Quote from: rubus-3.142
I will dig a bit more but I am starting to think there is some bug in the WiFI firmware making it look for phone functions that are not there?

I would raise this as a bug with planet. There are plenty of android tablets without sim cards that don't suffer this problem so there must be a fix.

In the meantime can you spoof your location as described here and see if it makes a difference
https://www.xda-developers.com/fake-android-location/
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 05:29:44 am by Murple2 »

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 11:48:04 am »
This backer fully expects the Gemini's battery to die (necessitating it always be connected to power) in 18-24 months because of more-than-typical cellphone use.

At which time, IF Planet does not either offer battery servicing or, better still, a workable D-I-Y battery replacement process, and/OR if there is not (yet) a Gemini 2.0 with replaceable battery, then the Gemini 1.0 will join the scrap heap of too-bad... MADE obsolete needlessly things.

s1b1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 12:49:11 pm »
I rooted my Android and renamed the file vendor/bin/ccci_mdinit and installed NapTime and now the battery draining problem went away