Author Topic: Battery Consumption in Standby  (Read 5644 times)

Ifanafi

• View Profile
Battery Consumption in Standby
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 08:28:22 am »
Very interesting...!

Quote from: s1b1
I rooted my Android and renamed the file vendor/bin/ccci_mdinit and installed NapTime and now the battery draining problem went away

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 01:03:42 pm »
THANKS!  I also tried renaming the file and consumption has indeed improved significantly.  Before  I was getting 4.5%/hour now with WiFi off I get 0.4% per hour on an overnight run.  With WiFi on and connected I get 1.4% /hour.  Will try with WiFi on and not connected overnight

WiFi OFF

WiFi ON Connected
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

What exactly does the offending file do?

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 01:21:07 pm »
Quote from: rubus-3.142
THANKS!  I also tried renaming the file and consumption has indeed improved significantly.  Before  I was getting 4.5%/hour now with WiFi off I get 0.4% per hour on an overnight run.  With WiFi on and connected I get 1.4% /hour.  Will try with WiFi on and not connected overnight

WiFi OFF

WiFi ON Connected

What exactly does the offending file do?
That is either the AI trying to break out, or the file transferring the power..
(in relation to my [a href=\'index.php?act=findpost&pid=288270\']post here[/a])

Sorry, do not have any idea, and again sorry for OT, but like I said earlier; sometimes I just can't help myself...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 01:22:25 pm by gymbo »

Eldkatten

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 07:12:43 am »
Hello,

Quote from: s1b1
I rooted my Android and renamed the file vendor/bin/ccci_mdinit and installed NapTime (...)
What did you rename the file to? And what is "NapTime"?

Kind regards

s1b1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 11:05:20 am »
Reading through here: https://comsecuris.com/blog/posts/path_of_least_resistance/ it looks like ccci_mdinit has something to do with the baseband processor. I renamed it to "ccci_mdinit.bak" and rebooted... Naptime is an app that enables Android Doze or deep sleep right when I close the lid etc

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 03:45:20 am »
What it's renamed to does not matter,  I added "00_RENAME_" prefix so I could find it again if I needed to change back...

With WiFi on and not connected I get 0.5%/hr so in summary with the lide closed and the Gemini sat idle on a table overnight (and no additional power management apps) I get

WiFi On and connected 1.4%/hr
WiFi On not connected 0.5%/hr
WiFi Off 0.4%/hr

So the workround by s1b1 seems to work but only for Rooted devices.  FWIW I will drop an email to Planet as I think it's a bug on the WiFi Only image.

Naptime builds on Google's Doze functionality in simple terms gives you more options to turn off features that use power faster but this means some things might not work.  If you have an automation  program like MacroDroid or Tasker you could do similar things like if screen off for 5 mins turn off WiFi.  On screen on turn on WiFi.

Of course then things like WatsApp and Telegram will not work, so it's a trade off between functionality and battery life.  I bought my Gemini more as a small PC than a phone so I can live with it in a deep sleep when in my  bag.  If you bought yours as a comms device your view may be different...

Eldkatten

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 04:57:41 am »
Hello,

thank you for your answers. Sorry, now I remember that I have a 4G-Gemini   So this problem doesn't affect me anyway. Somehow I think I have a WiFi-only device, because that's what I first ordered, changing it to 4G later before delivery began.

So, sorry for wasting your time, still I learned a few new things. Thanks for that.

Kind regards

MikeC

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2018, 03:41:40 pm »
Here's what helped me reduce battery consumption: Turned off wifi when the gemini is asleep, and turned off wifi scanning. There are lots of wifi networks in my area, and I noticed the gemini was always scanning to keep the list of networks up to date. I don't want any of my android devices scanning networks unless I explicitly want it to. Here's what I did to my gemini:

1) Enable development mode in Settings. Under development mode, turn on USB debugging.

2) Install adb on your computer. Connect gemini to computer via USB.

3) Using the adb shell command, make the desired changes to wifi config:

$ adb -d shell
Planet:/ $ settings put global wifi_scan_aways_enabled 0
Planet:/ $ settings put global wifi_sleep_policy 0
^D
$

This change doubled battery life for me.