Author Topic: Why would I install Rooted Android  (Read 2279 times)

Javert

• View Profile
Why would I install Rooted Android
« on: July 04, 2018, 03:37:46 pm »
Hi,

I'm not an Android expert at all, so I'm just wondering, why would I install "rooted" android and what does that mean?

Also, is there a drawback to installing rooted Android?

cheers

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 04:35:44 pm »
Rule of thumb is: if you have to ask, then you don't need root.

That's certainly a condescending rule of thumb, but it does have a certain sense.

Root allows you to change the system files and it allows apps to change system files (some apps avail themselves of root to do powerful things--remap keyboards, etc).

Rooting the Gem is having to use the Gemini Partition tool and that's a buggy device with ambiguous instructions--I did it last week, but I found the procedure difficult and nervous-making.

Once rooted, yes, you can make your changes in the system, but so can rogue apps, and the rubs with that 1) you don't always know something has gone rogue 2) the changes to your system can be permanent, even if you hard reset the phone.

So if you or an app screwed up something in the system, that's it--the only solution is to reflash the phone.

You have to ask yourself: is there something I can't do because my Gem isn't rooted? If the answer is no, the Gem does everything I want, then save yourself the hassle.

Jake
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 04:36:37 pm by jakfish »

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 05:15:54 pm »
The name comes from "root" the all powerful super user account in Unix/Linux systems

In my case...

1 - It lets me use Proxydroid - I can used with a SSH tunnel sett up with connectbot to my own server to securely surf the web, essential in places I go.
2 - It lets automation apps like MacroDroid chnge certain system systems that are not otherwise available e.g. location settings.
3 -You can use your own firewall setitngs AFW+ for example
4 - If you can master the command line you can do many more things like disable some of the more intrusive Google stuff

Downside is you are taking on more of the management/risk of the device yourself.  Some things like banking apps or compliance apps you employer makes you install to access work email will no longer work (although there are ways of  hiding root from them).  You can mitigate some of the risks  by installoing a root manager like Magisk that allows you go grant root on a case by case basis

Note there is a half way house of using the ADB bridge software on the PC to change some settings with the device plugged into a cable rather than full root - try a search on your favorite search engine for "Android ADB Hacks"

joepirello

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 11:05:55 pm »
While I mostly agree with the adage "If you need to ask what root is,you don't need it," we all start somewhere. Root allows you total control over the device to tweak it to your liking. A lot of my favorite programs require root, and offer functionality you just can't get with standard apps.

There are security issues and other things like not being able to get OTA updates when you're rooted. If you're interested just do a little research and then jump on in. I'd recommend you only do it at first if the Gemini is your secondary device. That way if you screw up along the way you at least have a device you can use while you're reflashing the Gemini or it's out of commission for a few hours.

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 07:25:31 am »
Quote from: joepirello
not being able to get OTA updates when you're rooted.
That's been the case so far — but I think I heard a report that from the current firmware on, OTA updates would work for rooted Android as well as non-rooted.  (At least, I hope so!)
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Kisuke-CZE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 03:06:52 pm »
For me only thing I need rooting is backing up whole device with Titanium Backup.
Unfortunately android does not have some usable backup system as I know. So root seems to be only option when you want to backup and be able to restore apps including their data...

shinkamui

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 11:09:56 pm »
Quote from: jakfish
Rule of thumb is: if you have to ask, then you don't need root.

That's certainly a condescending rule of thumb, but it does have a certain sense.

Root allows you to change the system files and it allows apps to change system files (some apps avail themselves of root to do powerful things--remap keyboards, etc).

Rooting the Gem is having to use the Gemini Partition tool and that's a buggy device with ambiguous instructions--I did it last week, but I found the procedure difficult and nervous-making.

Once rooted, yes, you can make your changes in the system, but so can rogue apps, and the rubs with that 1) you don't always know something has gone rogue 2) the changes to your system can be permanent, even if you hard reset the phone.

So if you or an app screwed up something in the system, that's it--the only solution is to reflash the phone.

You have to ask yourself: is there something I can't do because my Gem isn't rooted? If the answer is no, the Gem does everything I want, then save yourself the hassle.

Jake

I don't find that advice to be condescending, I find it to be smart.  Someone who isn't likely to be a liability, would do the leg work and likely make the determination for themselves.  If you're too lazy or lack the ability to find out what it is, you're definitely just opening yourself up for a world of trouble.