Author Topic: USA Phone & Data Networks  (Read 10019 times)

Ifanafi

• View Profile
USA Phone & Data Networks
« on: July 08, 2018, 03:28:54 pm »
USA Phone & Data Networks: Which ones work or don't work and why...

There is much consternation herein with USA phone carriers / data networks services that are or have become incompatible with the Gemini 4G WiFi device.

That is because the Gemini is UNCERTIFIED by them. Certification is an expensive nuisance. One Planet Computers is not (Yet, if ever?) able to invest in.

The reality is that some Gemini backers on networks like VERIZON, which are known to restrict and hobble their SIM chips so that settings like APN cannot be changed, and more... are less than fully functional.

Such is the sorry state of this backer's Gemini use - SMS / TEXTS are sometimes sent, other times not. Since the latest firmware update, SMS / texts are now not received when they are sometimes sent.

LIST OF USA NETWORKS:

1. VERIZON = serious problems with calls and / or text messaging.

Your input about Verizon is welcomed.

Info about other USA networks that work 100% is welcomed.

Thank you.

Ifanafi

P.S. I am minutes away from pulling the SIM from my Gemini (writing it off as a loss) and resurrecting my factory-reset Samsung Galaxy S5.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:30:22 pm by Ifanafi »

Don H

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 04:38:07 pm »
So, I use Ting (https://ting.com), which is a Sprint & T-Mobile resaler, and I have no issues.  Data, Voice, SMS, MMS, & tethering all work no issues. One of their selling points is bringing phones on to their network.

DM if you want a to give them a try and get a $25 service credit.

pdtpoet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 06:26:13 pm »
Quote from: Ifanafi
USA Phone & Data Networks: Which ones work or don't work and why...

There is much consternation herein with USA phone carriers / data networks services that are or have become incompatible with the Gemini 4G WiFi device.

That is because the Gemini is UNCERTIFIED by them. Certification is an expensive nuisance. One Planet Computers is not (Yet, if ever?) able to invest in.

The reality is that some Gemini backers on networks like VERIZON, which are known to restrict and hobble their SIM chips so that settings like APN cannot be changed, and more... are less than fully functional.

Such is the sorry state of this backer's Gemini use - SMS / TEXTS are sometimes sent, other times not. Since the latest firmware update, SMS / texts are now not received when they are sometimes sent.

LIST OF USA NETWORKS:

1. VERIZON = serious problems with calls and / or text messaging.

Your input about Verizon is welcomed.

Info about other USA networks that work 100% is welcomed.

Thank you.

Ifanafi

P.S. I am minutes away from pulling the SIM from my Gemini (writing it off as a loss) and resurrecting my factory-reset Samsung Galaxy S5.

2. AT&T - I am using an AT&T SIM Card and added the Gemini (booting Android as shipped) to my data account, and data acquisition has been fine.  I even used it while traveling in a car for a Zoom conference and found that I was able to follow the conference presentations on the Gemini but I used my iPhone for the voice link.  I have also streamed Netflix nicely on AT&T for short periods on the Gemini.  I live about 30 miles from NY City so there is full coverage.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 06:31:23 pm by pdtpoet »

KF6GPE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 10:32:55 pm »
Works on the T-Mobile side of Project Fi. Does not roam to Sprint or other Fi carriers, which is as expected, it's not a Fi device.

MikeC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 11:12:51 pm »
+1 on the Verizon Wireless problems. Can only receive calls, cannot make them. Can only send texts, cannot receive them. This happens whether I use Android or
Sailfish. I spent significant time discussing the Gemini issues with the second level  of tech support @ Verizon Wireless. They told me the Gemini will not work on their network unless/until the manufacturer  (Planet Computers LTD) contacts them and works out the details.

I had planned on using the Gemini as a replacement for my Nexus 5x, as well as a very portable linux device to replace my long in the tooth IBM thinkpad (yup, not Lenovo) which I had been using with linux to travel to and manage some industrial equipment. The Gemini does the latter OK, but at least for me, it's not a replacement for a phone.

I should have bought the wifi-only model. I should have bought it through the indiegogo campaign, rather than direct from Planet Computers. Oh yeah -- also I  haven't received the leather pouch I ordered with the device back in May. Sigh. Chalk it up to experience, live and learn, etc.

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 06:33:51 am »
T-Mobile on the Eastern US works very well: calls in and out, 4G, steady data.

Since I use the Gem as my only phone, I do notice some incoming calls going directly to voice mail--my guess is that a weak-signalled call, such as from a car, doesn't connect all the lines. That's happened about three times. And it did not happen with my T-Mobile/Blackberry Priv.

I have not yet suffered any dropped calls going out from my end. SMS works fine, both ways.

Jake

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 02:23:04 pm »
MikeC

Please repost / email your 'me too' Verizon issues directly to Planet's support AND CC: robin @ planetcom.co.uk because this Verizon predicament is unacceptable given Planet's assertions that the Gemini would work on the Verizon network.

Thanks you.

In the meantime, I am investigating other cell carriers replies herein have mentioned.

------------------

Quote from: MikeC
+1 on the Verizon Wireless problems. Can only receive calls, cannot make them. Can only send texts, cannot receive them. This happens whether I use Android or
Sailfish. I spent significant time discussing the Gemini issues with the second level  of tech support @ Verizon Wireless. They told me the Gemini will not work on their network unless/until the manufacturer  (Planet Computers LTD) contacts them and works out the details.

I had planned on using the Gemini as a replacement for my Nexus 5x, as well as a very portable linux device to replace my long in the tooth IBM thinkpad (yup, not Lenovo) which I had been using with linux to travel to and manage some industrial equipment. The Gemini does the latter OK, but at least for me, it's not a replacement for a phone.

I should have bought the wifi-only model. I should have bought it through the indiegogo campaign, rather than direct from Planet Computers. Oh yeah -- also I  haven't received the leather pouch I ordered with the device back in May. Sigh. Chalk it up to experience, live and learn, etc.

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 02:35:10 pm »
Thanks for replying.

Good start. Same cell number porting to Ting from Verizon is doable.

Ifanafi

Quote from: Don H
So, I use Ting (https://ting.com), which is a Sprint & T-Mobile resaler, and I have no issues.  Data, Voice, SMS, MMS, & tethering all work no issues. One of their selling points is bringing phones on to their network.

DM if you want a to give them a try and get a $25 service credit.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 02:43:57 pm by Ifanafi »

PJS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 08:39:19 am »
Hi,

I'm in the DC area and on T-Mobile and have been seeing the exact same
issues I saw with my old LG F3Q phone (I got from T-Mobile!).  T-Mobile has
been switching away from the frequencies that phone and Gemini support. This
reflected in the only 60% support listed on FrequencyCheck:

https://www.frequencycheck.com/compatibilit...e/united-states

As a result, when the Gem gets a good compatible signal, most everything is
great - solid 4G and 4G LTE.  But there are tons of times when any modern phone
will get 4G and the Gem only sees 3G or little/no signal at all.  That means
dropped calls and spotty data when a coworker's T-Mo phone next is doing fine
right next to me.

As long signal gets through the Gemini chipset, sending and receiving SMS/MMS
messages has been fine.

The only other shortcoming has been the lack of support by any added T-Mobile
features... Their support for calls/texts over wifi (using your cell #)
doesn't work.  The scam call blocking/caller ID doesn't work.

On their website, T-Mo claims they provided devevlopent information for phone
devs to support their services.  But at this rate, will we ever see that level
of activity from Planet?

Good luck,

PJS

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 10:28:20 am »
A cautious warning of sorts that is welcomed.

Thank you for relating and sharing.

Ifanafi

------------

Quote from: PJS
Hi,

I'm in the DC area and on T-Mobile and have been seeing the exact same
issues I saw with my old LG F3Q phone (I got from T-Mobile!).  T-Mobile has
been switching away from the frequencies that phone and Gemini support. This
reflected in the only 60% support listed on FrequencyCheck:

https://www.frequencycheck.com/compatibilit...e/united-states

As a result, when the Gem gets a good compatible signal, most everything is
great - solid 4G and 4G LTE.  But there are tons of times when any modern phone
will get 4G and the Gem only sees 3G or little/no signal at all.  That means
dropped calls and spotty data when a coworker's T-Mo phone next is doing fine
right next to me.

As long signal gets through the Gemini chipset, sending and receiving SMS/MMS
messages has been fine.

The only other shortcoming has been the lack of support by any added T-Mobile
features... Their support for calls/texts over wifi (using your cell #)
doesn't work.  The scam call blocking/caller ID doesn't work.

On their website, T-Mo claims they provided devevlopent information for phone
devs to support their services.  But at this rate, will we ever see that level
of activity from Planet?

Good luck,

PJS

MikeC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 01:46:44 pm »
Quote from: Ifanafi
MikeC

Please repost / email your 'me too' Verizon issues directly to Planet's support AND CC: robin @ planetcom.co.uk because this Verizon predicament is unacceptable given Planet's assertions that the Gemini would work on the Verizon network.

Thanks you.

In the meantime, I am investigating other cell carriers replies herein have mentioned.

------------------

Done.

Dixit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 04:23:40 pm »
Sorry guys, I cannot add any recent experience, but...

my first U.S. compatible smartphone was an Ericsson R380 World. Whilst staying 3 months in Texas I decided to buy a local SIM card. Those at Verizon did not even know what a SIM card was: they only sold phones. The one at T-Mobile (the brand I used at home) grudgingly sorted out a SIM "You're sure ? You can get a phone with it as well ?"

Anyway., from what I remember the entire business model of Verizon is that you should use their phone.
And that phone is entirely filled with stuff that protects it from being used in any other way than they want you to.
Apparently that hasn't changed. Well, I am afraid that Planet PDA cannot change that.

Also, T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom) originally comes from Europe, so from it's day one it followed the (European) GSM standards without much tampering.

Was there any fair chance that the Gemini would work on Verizon ?

MikeC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 09:14:06 pm »
Quote from: Dixit
Sorry guys, I cannot add any recent experience, but...

my first U.S. compatible smartphone was an Ericsson R380 World. Whilst staying 3 months in Texas I decided to buy a local SIM card. Those at Verizon did not even know what a SIM card was: they only sold phones. The one at T-Mobile (the brand I used at home) grudgingly sorted out a SIM "You're sure ? You can get a phone with it as well ?"

Anyway., from what I remember the entire business model of Verizon is that you should use their phone.
And that phone is entirely filled with stuff that protects it from being used in any other way than they want you to.
Apparently that hasn't changed. Well, I am afraid that Planet PDA cannot change that.

Also, T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom) originally comes from Europe, so from it's day one it followed the (European) GSM standards without much tampering.

Was there any fair chance that the Gemini would work on Verizon ?

The point is that I and others explicitly asked Planet Computers if the Gemini would work on the Verizon network before we made the purchase. We were told it would work. Clearly that isn't the case.

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 09:36:43 pm »
The point is that I and others explicitly asked Planet Computers if the Gemini would work on the Verizon network before we made the purchase. We were told it would work. Clearly that isn't the case.
It seems to me that the Gemini IS able to work on Verizon (some people seems to have got it working, with a LOT of hassle), but that Verizon doesn't WANT people to just use non-Verizon phones on their network...?? I have never understood "branding" phones to a network: Use, and follow, standards, and both the company AND the customers should have much less problems??  

Wonder if it will work if one is roaming on their network?? Anyone with a Gemini from outside USA visiting there for a summer holiday (or work, for that matter) who can check it out?? If it DOES work without any hassle, it should REALLY prove that the problem is PURELY Verizon acting difficult towards their customers...

(I've never understood why people think it is cheaper, or better, to buy a phone as a "subscription" than to pay for it directly. Everybody knows you shouldn't buy things on credit, so why don't they apply that to phones as well? But it is becoming the trend also in Norway to buy your phone through the carriers, unfortunately...)

PJS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 02:38:11 pm »
@gymbo

I'm not sure why a European bringing an identical device to the US to try the
networks would provide any additional insight into the problems here.

In the US there are 4 primary carriers, some are more open or less open to
devices they didn't sell.  Verizon has historically been one of the least
open because they have been the biggest for a long time.

T-Mobile and AT&T have long been GSM carriers, so that should help.  

T-Mobile used to be the smallest carrier in the US, so they also welcomed
people with devices from other networks.  As such, SIMs usually aren't a
problem with the US version of T-Mobile.  I just pulled my SIM from my old
phone and stuck it in the Gem.

The problem I've seen with many devices in the US is frequencies.... With my
Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500 and with my LG F3Q, the problem was similar.  They all
supported frequencies that worked fine in Europe, but less so here.

That seems like it might be proving to be the case with the Gemini here.
....at least as it stands with T-Mobile.  I was getting pretty solid service,
but in the last week it has gotten *noticably* worse.   WTF!?

@jakfish -  Things still holding up for you on T-Mobile?

But I also know, T-Mo is rolling out on newer frequencies that the Gem doesn't
seem to support.   Doomed?    :/

PJS
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 02:43:03 pm by PJS »