Author Topic: Big announcement on 5th November  (Read 20995 times)

Ifanafi

• View Profile
Big announcement on 5th November
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 03:59:59 pm »
Ummm....

Neither "next chapter" nor the almost giddy "... out of this world!" are Team Planet speak. They are, after all, a mostly BRITISH (typically reserved) group IMHO.

That said, the anticipated and presently expected Sailfish (and then OREO) upgrades DO NOT frankly rise to the inherent, implicit inferences one can read into those rather hyperbolic word choices.

Nevertheless, both suggest something hugely unexpected such as EITHER the sale of Planet (aka a buyout of its stakeholders) OR a significant cash-infusion partnership / investor / investment that will take Planet's Gemini to stunning / sky-high / stratospheric or 'out of this world' new heights (and all that suggests).

Whatever it is all about, I surely hope the announcement is only great news for we Gemini test-pilot astronauts.

Ifanafi

P.S. One wonder's why Robin left the company; did he disagree with the team's decision and/or was he out voted by other stakeholders?

By the way, "...out of this world!" was said by actor Bryan Cranston playing NASA astronaut Gus Grissom during "The Hollywood Television Showcase" TV show scenes in the 1996 hit movie "That Thing You Do!"
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:01:21 pm by Ifanafi »

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 07:51:24 pm »
Quote from: andrewl
If it is Sailfish 3 then I will be as happy as Larry (not Ellison).

+1 there! I would even accept Curly, or Mo.

zsalab2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 03:18:02 am »
Or simply they will start a new indiegogo campaign...

Artemys

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 04:40:59 am »
...maybe they bought the failed Youyota campaign and plan to finish it

andrewl

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 09:46:41 am »
Quote from: Ifanafi
Ummm....

Neither "next chapter" nor the almost giddy "... out of this world!" are Team Planet speak. They are, after all, a mostly BRITISH (typically reserved) group IMHO.

Stereotyping aside, I don't think Janko, Davide or Erkan are native British. They are typically London which is a city of the world and as international as you can get.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 09:47:51 am by andrewl »

depscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 12:15:43 pm »
Though it scarcely justifies such language (nothing short of them giving each backer a million dollars would do that), Sailfish 3 has gotten its first release today, and in the release notes https://together.jolla.com/question/191509/...300-lemmenjoki/ there is mention of "improved support for MediaTek chipsets." Sailfish users signed up for their early release group are receiving SFOS 3 beginning today, with general availability coming next week. It would be nice if Planet were to pick up the tab for the full-boat SFOS 3, including aliendalvik, for all of us, but I very much doubt that that'll happen. Though it would help justify the marketing language.

Though my nickel is on the announcement of Gemini II or whatever they call it. The way GPD announced the Pocket II (which I don't like at all as well as I do the Pocket -- the pointing device is AFU).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 02:28:25 pm by depscribe »
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket

GregG

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 06:38:00 am »
Is it the release of the bootloader?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP9Ome_V0Ek

Out of work atm. This is what happens when your trawling youtube day in, day out. Had a double take when they mentioned newish version of Ubuntu . Im like wahhht!

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 12:36:49 pm »
But I thought we were actually discussing the "Big announcement on 5th November, and not language...

Staying mostly on topic, and with reference to the wording "OUT OF THIS WORLD", it could be that someone in Planet Computers has had an encounter with some alien race, and are going to share some of their technology with us... (Or it could be some part manufactured/developed in space??!)

(No, I don't really think that, but it would justify the wording     )
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 06:08:10 pm by speculatrix »

Tom D

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2018, 03:04:35 pm »
I predict the next version will be Turing complete...

Dixit

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 03:21:31 pm »
It would indeed be rather Psion-esque to already trigger a take-over or something else managerese which will lead to their own entrepreneurial suicide.

Original Psion went down the drain in that way.
The only survivor - Symbian - is now dead as well.

hk135

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2018, 07:33:54 am »
Maybe the  Linux distros they demoed pre-release are actually fully functioning an available on the device now

aaaaaaahahahahaha

smapmap

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2018, 12:33:10 pm »
A bit of an emphasis on 'out of this world & given the company is called Planet I think we might be looking at their next PDA - the Planet Saturn.

depscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2018, 06:33:01 pm »
Quote from: smapmap
A bit of an emphasis on 'out of this world & given the company is called Planet I think we might be looking at their next PDA - the Planet Saturn.
Yes. That they've managed to get the Saturn homescreen realtime background application running, as here!

[ Invalid Attachment ]
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket

gemini_user_j

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2018, 12:44:33 pm »
Quote from: depscribe
Quote from: smapmap
Yes. That they've managed to get the Saturn homescreen realtime background application running, as here!

Saturn would be cool,

here is some more inspiration for guessing which planets may give names to new devices:

Gemini PDA x27

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2018, 01:21:28 pm »
One day left till we know for sure. Also I just updated my Gemini with multi boot and have been stuck on a boot loop. oh the fun.