Author Topic: Musing about the Cosmos Hinge  (Read 3016 times)

jakfish

• View Profile
Musing about the Cosmos Hinge
« on: November 11, 2018, 10:46:52 am »
While I'm a very happy Gemini owner and the phone is my main driver, I do have concerns about its hinge. Other users have been forced to re-bend their weakening hinge and I've duct-taped a length of coat hanger into the hinge's groove on the machine's underside for added support.

I can live with this since the Gemini is essentially a prototype, a one-of-a-kind, etc. And my workaround has stopped the wobble for now.

But as I look over the pix at Indiegogo Cosmos, it appears that the hinge design is unchanged AND the screen now carries the extra weight of a camera and an exterior screen. I'm no hardware developer, but this strikes me as a problem.

Are others uneasy?

Jake
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 10:48:02 am by jakfish »

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 12:45:41 pm »
Good news!

The hinge was mentioned in the YouTube interview with Janko and Davide: the Cosmo's hinge will be thicker, and the support slightly different, making it much more stable.  So it's clearly a problem they're aware of and are addressing.

Another small point I found interesting: they've made nearly 10 thousand Geminis.  That's obviously nothing compared to the volumes Apple or Samsung shift, but for a relatively niche product made by a tiny start-up, that's been widely available for only 8 months or so, I think that's not doing too badly.  And Planet clearly have their eyes on bigger things; they're up to 9 people now, and are developing new products as well as supporting existing ones.  I think it's a good start, and I'm increasingly optimistic about their future.
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 01:14:20 pm »
Hey, that is good news. Thanks for the update.

Jake