Author Topic: Oreo on its way  (Read 10578 times)

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Oreo on its way
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 03:14:44 am »
Quote from: Murple2
Varti, where is your source for the couple of weeks for release of manual installation files?
That was a quote from Mike Halsey's post on the Gemini Planet Facebook page. He had a meeting last Monday with the Planet's guys, I believe he got this info from them.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

CharlieX

• View Profile
Oreo on its way
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2019, 09:20:32 am »
FWIW my Gemini said last night that there was new firmware available. The support page has been updated but not the firmware one. Looks like the OTA has since been removed because today the Gemini says there is nothing new available.

Dixit

• View Profile
Oreo on its way
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2019, 10:43:37 am »
Same here.

I saw the promising square and the "Firmware upgrade detected" yesterday morning. But I needed to leave (thus without wifi).
Back home, with wifi, the Gemini states that it has the latest update, Android 7.1.

CharlieX

• View Profile
Oreo on its way
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 01:52:26 pm »
Quote from: Dixit
Same here.

I saw the promising square and the "Firmware upgrade detected" yesterday morning. But I needed to leave (thus without wifi).
Back home, with wifi, the Gemini states that it has the latest update, Android 7.1.
Update has, apparently, definitely been pulled. We might get an update tomorrow. Or we might not.

CharlieX

• View Profile
Oreo on its way
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 07:00:11 am »
Finally full update instructions for x25/x27 with 4G. No download yet for wifi-only
Download: http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/G...droid_8_Upgrade
Update worked fine on my x25.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Oreo on its way
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2019, 07:08:58 am »
Quote from: CharlieX
Finally full update instructions for x25/x27 with 4G. No download yet for wifi-only
Thanks for sharing the news. There's an interesting part at the end of the page, with a list of the known bugs. So if you come across them, rest assured that Planet is already investigating them:

- LEDison has been reported to crash under some circumstancies - we will update the application in the Play Store soon
- It has been reported that sometimes the Micro SD may 'disappear' - we are investigating, but if this happens to you, just reboot your Gemini
- The Factory Reset does not work on Android 8 - we are investigating this

Varti
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:10:23 am by Varti »
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

graynada

• View Profile
Oreo on its way
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2019, 07:18:23 am »
Quote from: Varti

That's quiet a biggy if you were wanting to pass your Gemini on!  I guess you would have to use the partition tool to wipe in some way.

In other news is anyone finding 8.1 laggy and the 'x app is using battery' notification annoying?  I notice now the Planet Computer apps come built in meaning you can't uninstall, just disable, very unhelpful.  Oh and the app bar doesn't spread the icons evenly anymore, they are all bunched left.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:21:41 am by graynada »

CharlieX

• View Profile
Oreo on its way
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2019, 09:45:31 am »
Quote from: graynada
Quote from: Varti

That's quiet a biggy if you were wanting to pass your Gemini on!  I guess you would have to use the partition tool to wipe in some way.

In other news is anyone finding 8.1 laggy and the 'x app is using battery' notification annoying?  I notice now the Planet Computer apps come built in meaning you can't uninstall, just disable, very unhelpful.  Oh and the app bar doesn't spread the icons evenly anymore, they are all bunched left.
I'd just do a proper wipe using the Mediatek tool if that was necessary. I don't remember being able to uninstall any of the bloatware in previous versions without rooting but there is enough space on the Gemini for it not to be a real issue.
For me the important is being able to use my German keyboard properly for the first time in nearly a year.

Milan

• View Profile
Oreo on its way
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2019, 01:07:27 pm »

Can you confirm you had the following on screen before you selected manual upgrade? I have also X25 and all the info fields (PatchId, PatchSize, UpdateDate and UpdateInformation) are empty. I'm asking because I have done the manual update yesterday and my X25 had SIM card menu in Android settings. This menu was present on X27 only in Android 7.1. Can you check please if you have this menu (SIM card) in settings after the update?

[img]http://support.planetcom.co.uk/images/e/e2/29.jpg\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /]
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 01:11:58 pm by Milan »

Steve Goodey

• View Profile
Oreo on its way
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 05:21:41 am »
Quote from: Milan

Can you confirm you had the following on screen before you selected manual upgrade? I have also X25 and all the info fields (PatchId, PatchSize, UpdateDate and UpdateInformation) are empty. I'm asking because I have done the manual update yesterday and my X25 had SIM card menu in Android settings. This menu was present on X27 only in Android 7.1. Can you check please if you have this menu (SIM card) in settings after the update?

[img]http://support.planetcom.co.uk/images/e/e2/29.jpg\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /]

Mine is an X25 and the above fields were blank but the update went OK. (Apart from the settings button not working until I renamed the ota.zip file in the root folder and renamed it back to ota.zip).

After the update in android settings I have under Network & Internet a SIM cards entry.

Steve

Dixit

• View Profile
Oreo on its way
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2019, 08:09:08 am »
As of today I have the spontaneous "firmware update" message again and it now does indeed offer Android 8.1

I think I'll wait a few more days to see experiences from other people.