Author Topic: Well, I'm bloody annoyed  (Read 4098 times)

TallTim

• View Profile
Well, I'm bloody annoyed
« on: November 11, 2019, 02:35:18 pm »
I know, silly me to think I could get the same setup on the screen as the Gemini, but hope springs eternal.

The Fn + C/V keys allow for sizing the display, which on the Gemini I had set to a custom 288 - but Cosmo will only let me go to 300.

Why does this matter? Well, the bloody android "software buttons" insist on being on the right-hand side orientation, and not even NovaLauncher will be able to change that, as far as I can tell.
So now I have the Back/Home/Whatever buttons on the right side, in the bloody way of anything I use that goes to the right edge of the screen. Irritating as hell.

I'll wait for further guides before going on a mega-rant, perhaps there is a way to do it and I'm not aware of the exact method -- but there bloody well better be, or this thing is going on the gadget pile of shame, really quickly.

Also, why the hell the keyboard backlight doesn't stay on when I'd love it to is something else I'd love to know how to change.

I wouldn't mind rolling the Cosmo back to the Android rev I had on the Gemini to get my screen rez back, but I'm not holding my breath for that kind of radical solution.

Ifanafi

• View Profile
Well, I'm bloody annoyed
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 02:44:11 pm »
AND that is why I uninstalled my pro nova launcher!

Ifanafi

-------------------
Quote from: TallTim
I know, silly me to think I could get the same setup on the screen as the Gemini, but hope springs eternal.

The Fn + C/V keys allow for sizing the display, which on the Gemini I had set to a custom 288 - but Cosmo will only let me go to 300.

Why does this matter? Well, the bloody android "software buttons" insist on being on the right-hand side orientation, and not even NovaLauncher will be able to change that, as far as I can tell.
So now I have the Back/Home/Whatever buttons on the right side, in the bloody way of anything I use that goes to the right edge of the screen. Irritating as hell.

I'll wait for further guides before going on a mega-rant, perhaps there is a way to do it and I'm not aware of the exact method -- but there bloody well better be, or this thing is going on the gadget pile of shame, really quickly.

Also, why the hell the keyboard backlight doesn't stay on when I'd love it to is something else I'd love to know how to change.

I wouldn't mind rolling the Cosmo back to the Android rev I had on the Gemini to get my screen rez back, but I'm not holding my breath for that kind of radical solution.

TallTim

• View Profile
Well, I'm bloody annoyed
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 05:44:22 pm »
Quote from: Ifanafi
AND that is why I uninstalled my pro nova launcher!

Ifanafi

It has nothing to do with the NovaLauncher at all. It has to do with the Android revision that ships with Cosmo, and it makes no bloody sense why it acts like it does.

shinkamui

• View Profile
Well, I'm bloody annoyed
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 10:11:48 pm »

I can't speak for your keyboard, but on the american keyboard C and V are volume controls when combine with FN.  If you'd l ike to swap the side the softkeys are on, or remove them entirely, go into settings and look at the cosmo specific settings sub menu.  Not as many customization options as i'd like, but they clearly solve that problem for you.  You can adjust the text size and display density in the settings menu as well, though like you, I want more resolution than is exposed and available.  May need to root and update your build.prop to get the dpi you're looking for.  The backlight state not surviving a reboot is definitely a bug, hopefully they address it.  Im not sure if its just my unit but activating the keyboard backlight almost always triggers android to think its charging hilariously...Its early days, there are a number of minor bugs that will hopefully get ironed out by Planet in the coming weeks.

*edit* on a whim, I tried the shift+fn+c and v, and behold, the dpi changed.  Cool shortcut, combine with teh display and font changes, i have a display density that I'm quite happy with (at first glance anyway).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 10:13:39 pm by shinkamui »

TallTim

• View Profile
Well, I'm bloody annoyed
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 11:41:29 pm »
Found something here -- https://www.thecustomdroid.com/change-dpi-density-android/

I was able to enabled Dev mode and then set a custom DPI to about 600 which shifted the annoying software buttons in android to the bottom.

Hope it helps someone.

smapmap

• View Profile
Well, I'm bloody annoyed
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 05:04:21 am »
I run at 600 DPI on the Gemini as I prefer the software buttons at the bottom of the screen. The device is more stable and better balanced to screen presses. The other massive benefit is apps such as Gmail and Outlook run in tablet mode/split screen, making better use of screen real estate. Makes it feel like a mini laptop.

One of the issues is though, some of the apps (App Bar, Agenda, Notes) don't scale properly - which is annoying. I've contacted Planet about this but they say they don't support higher DPI settings for their apps which is a bummer.

peter

• View Profile
Well, I'm bloody annoyed
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 12:35:49 pm »
Well, the bloody android "software buttons" insist on being on the right-hand side orientation, and not even NovaLauncher will be able to change that, as far as I can tell.

The solution for the Android navigation buttons is to be found in Settings.  The second item, right below "Network & internet" is "Cosmo Settings."  There you can choose to move navigation bar to the left side, or hide it entirely.  I've gone with the latter option, since the Fn key + A or D provide "view all" or "desktop" respectively, while Esc functions like the back arrow.

The keyboard backlight can be controlled by Fn + Shift + B (or N) -- basically the same control as for screen brightness, with the Shift modifier for the keyboard.

I'm afraid I don't know any ways around your other annoyances.