Author Topic: support page / reporting Web Site  (Read 2883 times)

maki.jouni

• View Profile
support page / reporting Web Site
« on: November 27, 2019, 02:05:45 pm »
Planet Computers have told at IndieGoGo, that they will advise a reporting Web Site and support pages this week.

"
Planet Computers 1 minute ago
PROJECT OWNER
We will advise a reporting Web Site and support pages this week.
"

Also there will be FW update upcoming at next week

"
Also, there is a firmware update planned for next week, with initial fixes and also with the landscape mode GUI for the cover display.
"
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 02:09:20 pm by maki.jouni »
Cosmo Communicator (Fin/Swe), Mix2, Sony Xperia XZ & Z3, Nokia N900, Nokia PARSA, HTC Touch Pro, Qtek 9100, Nokia 6600 & 6210 & 2110, Mobira Talkman

Ali baba

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 03:38:50 pm »
Sorry sir, i like to ask you if you cold help me by letting me know if anti virus is needed for the Cosmo! Thankyou

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 04:09:14 pm »
ANTIVIRUS?

Yes, you need a mobile suite of AV software.

NONE provided by Planet Computer.

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 04:18:04 pm »
Promises. Promises.
Promises made; promises not delivered on.

I won't believe that even IF /WHEN it is up online.

Frankly, that response is meant to BUY PLANET TIME to figure out how to fix the Cosmo's cascading problems.

Sad to say this - Planet has a failing, trouble-plagued device in its Cosmo. I regret backing it.

Looking back, my Gemini is a reliable (LOL) device even though many promises (such as a fix to stop it from shutting down suddenly when on a phone call) have been made and remain unfulfilled many months since first reported and acknowledged by Planet (last late June).

IMHO, the Gemini is an orphan. Abandoned at the city gate as prey for Gyppos....

Ifanafi

+++++++++++++
Quote from: maki.jouni
Planet Computers have told at IndieGoGo, that they will advise a reporting Web Site and support pages this week.

"
PROJECT OWNER
"

Also there will be FW update upcoming at next week

"
Also, there is a firmware update planned for next week, with initial fixes and also with the landscape mode GUI for the cover display.
"

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 04:45:54 pm »
The Gemini too had teething problems, some quite serious.

But we don't tend to remember much about those, because they were fixed in the first couple of firmware updates, and we've had far longer with it working pretty well and reliably.

I'm sure it will be the same with the Cosmo.

I'm not excusing these problems.  But I strongly expect that with a little patience, they will get fixed, and that the Cosmo will turn out to be as successful as the Gemini; perhaps more so.

(Consider: the major problems with the Cosmo, as with the Gemini, look like they are software problems, or at least can be fixed in software.  Which is good, because those things can be fixed by a firmware updates.  Hardware problems would be much worse!)
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 08:00:11 pm »
Quote from: gidds
(Consider: the major problems with the Cosmo, as with the Gemini, look like they are software problems, or at least can be fixed in software.  Which is good, because those things can be fixed by a firmware updates.  Hardware problems would be much worse!)
I've been using the cosmo as my daily driver for a couple of weeks now, and was wondering what are the major problems? The only issue I had was I had to disable DuraSpeed so android 9 didn't put apps to sleep (eg my watch plugin). Everything else works as expected - maybe my expectations are different. What are the "major problems" people are referring to excactly? This is a serious question, not a flippant religious debate starter.....

maki.jouni

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 12:56:57 am »
Quote from: maki.jouni
"
PROJECT OWNER
"

It's published

http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/C...Troubleshooting
Cosmo Communicator (Fin/Swe), Mix2, Sony Xperia XZ & Z3, Nokia N900, Nokia PARSA, HTC Touch Pro, Qtek 9100, Nokia 6600 & 6210 & 2110, Mobira Talkman

alix

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 03:49:12 am »
@vader: the critical problems are the following ones:

- battery drain: some users (me included) report a battery drain while using the cosmo normally (without battery saving, and with wifi, localization, outer screen on, mobile data etc.); in my test, if I am using the cosmo in usual cases (installing apps, browsing the web, fetching and pushing emails, working through ssh, listening to mp3 etc.), I am out of battery after 6 hours; in comparison my huawei p30 pro lasts 10 hours under the same usage conditions;

- peripherals not fully working: for me it is the front mic which will be muted when the case is closed (I can not place calls without opening the shell), for others this is the jack which does not output sound correctly (in both cases, probably a switch issue), some have experienced sticky keys, random behaviour as if the TAB key have been constantly pressed, some incorrect key assignments (shift+key output sometimes 2 signs);

- outer screen: screen freezing sometimes, screen slow, icons have to be activated by pressing them bottom left (calibration issue), image distortion on the outer screen when you want to take a picture or make a video, image rendering on the outer screen very slow;

- power-on: sometimes it does not power-on when you press the silver button at the top -- in my test, I have to press the silver button, then I have to open the case, press the ESC key, press the silver button again; when it does not work, I have to plug in the power supply in the USB-C and renew the procedure in order to start the cosmo.

These are the major pitfalls at the moment. But this said, we have to do with a complex hardware, and it is not sure that all these issues are related to the cosmo -- some can also be related to Android 9. This has to be sorted out by the team at PC which should deliver firmware updates and patches for Android 9 on the cosmo. In my case, the inability to place calls without opening the case makes that I can not use the cosmo as my daily driver at the moment. So it remains mostly in its box until the issues have been addressed. It is very sad, because I see the potential of the cosmo and can imagine how it could be nicely integrated into my workflow.

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 08:01:46 pm »
Quote from: alix
- battery drain: some users (me included) report a battery drain while using the cosmo normally (without battery saving, and with wifi, localization, outer screen on, mobile data etc.); in my test, if I am using the cosmo in usual cases (installing apps, browsing the web, fetching and pushing emails, working through ssh, listening to mp3 etc.), I am out of battery after 6 hours; in comparison my huawei p30 pro lasts 10 hours under the same usage conditions;
That is pretty bad. I had to wait at a hospital for someone the other day and I was browsing pretty much the whole time (about 5 hours). I also installed a few astronomy apps (skysafari - all x hundred MBs), made and took a few calls (mainly to say we are done), and I was still around 60-65%. There is definitely something wrong with yours. I was browsing on LTE, with wifi enabled, same with bluetooth (for my watch). Usual email notifications - pretty much the same as you. My display is set to 47% (because I couldn't get exactly 50% with the slider  ), and sound is off (I'm in a hospital....).

- peripherals not fully working: for me it is the front mic which will be muted when the case is closed (I can not place calls without opening the shell), for others this is the jack which does not output sound correctly (in both cases, probably a switch issue), some have experienced sticky keys, random behaviour as if the TAB key have been constantly pressed, some incorrect key assignments (shift+key output sometimes 2 signs);
Silly question - have you tried the cosmo in both orientations? I tend to talk so that the camera is at the top, and the buttons at the bottom (ie. the orientation of the external screen). I noticed that the other way was a lot quieter - probably no rotation detection. Haven't tried the audio jack, I use bluetooth headphones, or my watch if I don't use the speakers.

- outer screen: screen freezing sometimes, screen slow, icons have to be activated by pressing them bottom left (calibration issue), image distortion on the outer screen when you want to take a picture or make a video, image rendering on the outer screen very slow;
Ok. here we agree, except the freezing. The external screen is slow, and the calibration is a little off. The video update is slow, but better than not having it. No corruption/distortion in mine though. I don't mind the calibration issue - I'm used to it. Probably be weird when they fix it - I'll hit the wrong spot....

- power-on: sometimes it does not power-on when you press the silver button at the top -- in my test, I have to press the silver button, then I have to open the case, press the ESC key, press the silver button again; when it does not work, I have to plug in the power supply in the USB-C and renew the procedure in order to start the cosmo.
I was under the impression that you had to turn power on with the escape key. I use the silver button to turn off the cover display. I've turned off/on restarted a few times with no issues. Maybe I am lucky and have a good unit.

These are the major pitfalls at the moment. But this said, we have to do with a complex hardware, and it is not sure that all these issues are related to the cosmo -- some can also be related to Android 9. This has to be sorted out by the team at PC which should deliver firmware updates and patches for Android 9 on the cosmo. In my case, the inability to place calls without opening the case makes that I can not use the cosmo as my daily driver at the moment. So it remains mostly in its box until the issues have been addressed. It is very sad, because I see the potential of the cosmo and can imagine how it could be nicely integrated into my workflow.
Ok. I understand now what people are reporting. I happen to have none of the above, with the exception of the mis-calibrated external cover. My keys are near perfect - never miss a keystroke, even the ones I don't mean to press, but do  It has been my daily driver since I got it - replacing my gemini. All my issues so far have really been with android 9 (power saving, rotation etc). I also tend to work around problems, sometimes without even thinking about it, so I may well ignore/be unaware of some problems that I just work around. I'll keep an eye on it. WRT the battery though, I am definitely seeing better performance. Significantly in fact. It is much better than the gemini was, and an easy day of hard use, or 2 days of moderate use.

alix

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 01:06:19 am »
vader, thanks for sharing, it gives me and maybe other a better picture of what you could have when you got a unite i.e. either something good (as you have) or something less good (as I have). Quick to the following points:

- battery: I can improve the battery time while turning off services and using the cosmo like a pda, but I expect (or have expected) to use it as a full phone and computer replacement with a good battery life;

- mic: yes, I turn it in every possible direction -- actually, I retested yesterday, and my mic is working, but it records silence instead of voice when the case is closes (I can hear the difference when I am muting and unmuting the mic with the icon in the front display); and the case does not need to be completely closed, it only has to make an angle of 70° with the keyboard in order for the mic to record silence

I, too, think that it could be a not so lucky implementation of Android on the cosmo that causes problems -- battery and peripherals problems are known to appear on other phones with Android 9. Let see what the firmware update brings.

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 10:55:32 am »
the case does not need to be completely closed, it only has to make an angle of 70° with the keyboard in order for the mic to record silences are known to appear on other phones with Android 9. Let see what the firmware update brings.
While I have not yet received my Cosmo, to me, that sounds like a flex cable issue between the halves of the device, mostly because, as far as I can tell, a healthy Cosmo (or Gemini) shouldn't really have any means of telling when the lid is at that angle. All the motion sensing stuff, AFAIK, sits in the upper part only, so it can't know the relative angle of the keyboard part. The Hall effect sensor, detecting when the lid closes is an all-or-nothing affair and when it triggers, the screen turns off, which I presume does not happen at those 70 degrees.

Finally, at least the Gemini, for some reason, has a proximity sensor on the right side of the screen - that's why there's a small cutout in the preinstalled screen protector. Since the Cosmo has the same cutout in the pictures I've seen, I presume it has the same sensor in the same spot. That, too, is a single bit yes-or-no sensor, which in my tests, triggers when something is a centimeter or so from the sensor. It should trigger while the lid closes, but not until the lid is very close to completely closed. When running AndroSensor (there are newer apps - it's just what I had) on my Gemini, the proximity sensor trips when there's a about the width of a finger between the halves.

A damaged or not correctly seated cable, running between the two halves might get disconnected at some particular angle. Lacking good pictures of the internals of a Cosmo, here is, for reference a (my) Gemini with the metal parts removed:
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?act=at...ost&id=6065 (embedding pictures via dynamic links isn't supported here)

While I don't know if the Cosmo is built the same way, we can see in the picture, that neither connector for neither cable is immediately accessible in the Gemini. In this image of the Gemini main board (which sits in the upper half):
[img]https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_limit,w_620/v1502884456/ujtdxzxhjkqosomayqr4.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /]
we can see the same big square chip as in the previous picture, suggesting both pictures are taken from roughly the same angle, so the connectors we see at the top of the picture might be the flex cable connectors. If so, they might be possible to access them by removing some screws, making it possible to lift some of the plastic parts covering them in the first picture, but whether that might be helpful or harmful is anyone's guess. Both the linked images, are from the thread [a href=\'index.php?showtopic=0\']Teardown?[/a].