Author Topic: HTML support when writing in AirMail  (Read 5243 times)

mmbika

• View Profile
HTML support when writing in AirMail
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 04:49:58 am »
Quote from: gymbo
Quote from: mmbika
I found Librem Mail in F-droid which is almost like for like to Airmail.

In both, I can scroll the message list with arrow keys, however it doesn't open the message which is being selected by the up/down arrow, I still have to tap the message to make it appear in the right side panel (I am using split view). This is really annpying. Any suggestion or alternates?
Have you tried hitting space-bar instead of enter?

(In ProfiMail space-bar is used to "select" a line, but it could be used differently in Librem/Airmail??)

I tried and it worked. Space bar selects the whole message and it gets displayed on the right panel. Arrow keys selects and space bar enters into it.

vldmr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2020, 02:01:16 pm »
Stumbled on this android mail client FairMail (also in google store) that does appear to support composing messages in HTML format. Have not tried it myself yet

[img]https://email.faircode.eu/screenshots/compose.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /]

TheBruce

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 04:13:46 am »
Talking about Airmail: did anyone find out how to remove accounts added to Airmail? I haven't been able to do that.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 04:14:27 am by TheBruce »

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2020, 05:15:13 pm »
Quote from: TheBruce
Talking about Airmail: did anyone find out how to remove accounts added to Airmail? I haven't been able to do that.
Go to the accounts view and long-press the account you want to remove.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Tap "Remove account" on the menu that opens.

Quote from: vldmr
Stumbled on this android mail client...
VERY interesting. FairMail might be exactly what I'm looking for, especially if the rich text support is somewhat comprehensive and it's reasonably landscape-friendly. As I am HOPING my Cosmo will arrive really soon now, I might hold off testing until it arrives. Thank you for the tip!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 03:03:34 pm by Daniel W »

Joepete

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2020, 01:57:58 pm »
Quote from: Daniel W
VERY interesting. FairMail might be exactly what I'm looking for, especially if the rich text support is somewhat comprehensive and it's reasonably landscape-friendly. As I am HOPING my Cosmo will arrive really soon now, I might hold off testing until it arrives. Thank you for the tip!

You might also want to consider SimpleMail. It's actually a fork for FairMail. It's in the Fdroid repositories. That said, I couldn't let your post pass without making a plea that HTML email is the bane of all that is still sane and good on the Internet. While you point to an interesting case, sending detailed instructions with embedded images, realize that you have no control over the recipient's email client. Especially where people start using tables in HTML email, you can actually end up inverting the order of content. If you have something that must be displayed in a particular way, you're probably better off sending a PDF attachment. My guess is you are aware of most, if not all the issues with sending HTML email. I just felt compelled to try to convince you not to give in to the dark side.

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2020, 01:23:45 pm »
Quote from: Joepete
You might also want to consider SimpleMail. It's actually a fork for FairMail. It's in the Fdroid repositories. That said, I couldn't let your post pass without making a plea that HTML email is the bane of all that is still sane and good on the Internet. While you point to an interesting case, sending detailed instructions with embedded images, realize that you have no control over the recipient's email client. Especially where people start using tables in HTML email, you can actually end up inverting the order of content. If you have something that must be displayed in a particular way, you're probably better off sending a PDF attachment. My guess is you are aware of most, if not all the issues with sending HTML email. I just felt compelled to try to convince you not to give in to the dark side.
Thank you for your suggestion. It turns out the two email clients mentioned recently are called FairEmail and SimpleEmail (there is a SimpleMail too, but for the Amiga). As far as I understand, SimpleEmail is basically FairEmail with the ability to pay for the "pro" features removed. Is that correct, or am I missing something?

For now, I'm still trying to just use AirMail on the Cosmo, but I keep running into the limitations of plain text. For the record, I don't like HTML email much, and would strongly prefer widespread support for some much simpler form of rich content, akin to what we have here on OESF. Lacking that, HTML currently seems to be my least bad choice. Yes, I am aware of many HTML email pitfalls, and how to avoid some of them.

In my particular case, I do know which e-mail clients most of the few people I send HTML email to are using, most of the time, and I rarely use anything more advanced than text attributes and inserted images. Would I need, say, table cells or a particular font, it's typically faster to use a proper layout tool and attach a PDF file, but for back-and-forth discussions with quotations and stuff (much like the threads here), relying on attachments would typically be too clunky, especially on mobile devices. As my work is fairly rich in color-coded stuff, something like "I suggest B97A57, CC9966 or 996633" is just more useful to my boss, than the plain hex codes alone, and it's faster and easier for both of us than attached images.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 01:25:12 pm by Daniel W »

NormMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2020, 12:28:35 pm »
I tried out PlanetC's AirMail app when I first got my Cosmo.  AirMail is supposed to be based on K-9.  I have been using K-9 for a long time on previous Android devices.

I quickly gave up on AirMail after I discovered a number of annoyances, and went back to the K-9 I know and love.

I just thought I would call this out in case there are folks who are staying away from K-9 because they tried AirMail and didn't like it, and thought that they wouldn't like K-9 for the same reasons they didn't like AirMail.

I'm not saying you will love K-9, like any app it receives mixed opinions, but I am saying that if you had a bad AirMail experience please don't assume K-9 is the same.