Author Topic: Not another Cover Display Thread!  (Read 6968 times)

Sath

• View Profile
Not another Cover Display Thread!
« on: December 15, 2019, 05:48:06 pm »
Anyone notice how easy it is to alter settings, make calls, turn on flashlight, etc from the cover display shortly after opening the cover? My index finger seems to be at home right over the screen when holding the Cosmo open.

@Planet, maybe I don't know, make the cover screen unresponsive when the cover is open on your next update? I mean, heck, you did a good job making it pretty unresponsive with the cover closed.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 05:50:05 pm by Sath »

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 06:46:20 pm »
Quote from: Sath
Anyone notice how easy it is to alter settings, make calls, turn on flashlight, etc from the cover display shortly after opening the cover? My index finger seems to be at home right over the screen when holding the Cosmo open.

@Planet, maybe I don't know, make the cover screen unresponsive when the cover is open on your next update? I mean, heck, you did a good job making it pretty unresponsive with the cover closed.
It's a feature, not a bug!!

(And one would think it has to act responsive, at least SOME of the time   )

NormMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 11:49:42 am »

That explains a lot.
I went to make a call and found my device was in Airplane Mode the other day.  I didn't command that, but maybe this is why.

Another time, I found Location services was turned off.

Another time, the thing got really warm and power was draining fast, turns out the camera was running on the cover display.  (Thanks to GSam battery monitor for finding that)
@Planet, perhaps an option to turn off the front display when the cover is open?

Tom D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 03:24:01 pm »
Quote from: NormMonkey

That explains a lot.
I went to make a call and found my device was in Airplane Mode the other day.  I didn't command that, but maybe this is why.

Another time, I found Location services was turned off.

Another time, the thing got really warm and power was draining fast, turns out the camera was running on the cover display.  (Thanks to GSam battery monitor for finding that)
@Planet, perhaps an option to turn off the front display when the cover is open?

Yes, I've turned off the cover display for now because the phone kept going into Airplane Mode when the device was open. The cover should not be responding to taps while the device is open. Or at least make that an option!

bluetooth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 02:41:47 pm »
What are the use cases why the CODI needs to be on while cover is opened? I recall from PC's early marketing videos that the CODI would show a Planet logo for a while and they go off.

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 05:26:01 pm »
Quote from: bluetooth
What are the use cases why the CODI needs to be on while cover is opened? I recall from PC's early marketing videos that the CODI would show a Planet logo for a while and they go off.
Some people has suggested that it may be used as a track-pad for the main display...

Am pretty sure it doesn't have that functionality at the moment, and don't know if it is even feasible, but could be cool if it was...

But in most (normal) circumstances it would be best if it shut off as the main display shuts on (and not some time a little later, as it seems it does now).

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 05:36:14 pm »
A minor bug, but has anyone else noticed that when location is active, its icon appears on the cover display with a line through it, as if it's been deactivated? If location is deactivated, the icon doesn't appear at all.

Meanwhile, it appears as if the data icon is on the cover display, whether data has been turned off or on, and it's always the same icon.

Since this is PC's proprietary OS, I imagine this can be sorted out.

Jake

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 05:54:46 pm »
Quote from: jakfish
A minor bug, but has anyone else noticed that when location is active, its icon appears on the cover display with a line through it, as if it's been deactivated? If location is deactivated, the icon doesn't appear at all.

Meanwhile, it appears as if the data icon is on the cover display, whether data has been turned off or on, and it's always the same icon.

Since this is PC's proprietary OS, I imagine this can be sorted out.

Jake
The CODI apparently is much more advanced than people think, and have gained AI abilities. And it doesn't like location services, so it turns them off, but LOOOVES wifi/data-connections and turns them on constantly...    

(Your "explanation" is probably more correct, but I think mine is more "interesting"...  And my explanation might be the reason it drains so much power as well...)

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 03:53:37 pm »
Cover Display certainly seems to have a mind of its own.

Any idea what the pink light directly above the camera means?

Jake

NormMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 03:58:17 pm »
Quote from: bluetooth

When the Planet logo is showing, the screen can still be swiped left (features) or swiped down (settings) and accidental changes occur.
At least that's what happens on mine.  I opened the cover to have a look and confirm these shenanigans.
Would love to have the option to disable the Planet logo (save a bit of energy on a device that currently has energy drain issues) and just soft-sleep the cover while the thing is opened.
(I did make that ask as part of a report to the Support Smartforum thingie, but who knows what happens)

PJS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 01:05:12 pm »
Hi all,

I've also been having tons of problems with the cover being active at just the
wrong times...

When you first shut an unlocked Cosmo, the display is fully active... So if
you immediately stuff it in your pocket (etc), faaaaaaaaar too often a simple
touch on the front of the Cosmo does things...  calls someone, turns things
on/off, etc.

Beyond that, if you open the Cosmo, the outside screen was supposed to go to
the PC logo and deactivate.  I'm now finding it does NOT. While on that screen,
you can still drag the top/sides of the screen in.  Of course, that just leads
to even more unintended problems.

It really sucks to find you've been in airplane mode for the last hour of work
or that you "butt dialed" your gf and she now wants to know where you've been.

Please PC, add these fixes/options:

- TOTALLY disable outside screen sensing when the Cosmo is open.

- Provide an option to have outside screen sensing only activate after a
   toggle button or silver button press.

Thanks,

PJS

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 06:00:56 pm »
Quote from: PJS
It really sucks to find you've been in airplane mode for the last hour of work
or that you "butt dialed" your gf and she now wants to know where you've been.
Own experience?

Already filed a bug at PC for that issue. I have first noticed Wifi disabling randomly, some days later I got the cause...

Vistaus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 05:37:17 am »
My mum also reported the issue with airplane mode randomly activating. Let's hope PC fixes this issue in the next update

Vistaus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 04:33:21 am »
Quote from: Vistaus
My mum also reported the issue with airplane mode randomly activating. Let's hope PC fixes this issue in the next update

Btw, is this a CoDi issue or Android issue? 'Cause on my current phone (still waiting for my Cosmo), the BlackBerry KEY2 with Android 8.1, I experience something similar: sometimes Bluetooth enables itself out of the blue. So that leads me to think the Flight Mode issue might be an Android issue instead.

Tom D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 02:49:53 pm »

Btw, is this a CoDi issue or Android issue? 'Cause on my current phone (still waiting for my Cosmo), the BlackBerry KEY2 with Android 8.1, I experience something similar: sometimes Bluetooth enables itself out of the blue. So that leads me to think the Flight Mode issue might be an Android issue instead.
Nope, it's the cover. I actually caught it once by accidentally looking at the external screen. It happily keeps on receiving taps while the device is open. If you hold the device so you can type with your thumbs (i.e., no flat surface nearby) this is inevitable. Poor design, I assume there will be an option at some point to disable this behavior.