Author Topic: Firmware update  (Read 11812 times)

zottel

• View Profile
Firmware update
« on: January 19, 2020, 02:55:24 am »
I received an update yesterday and installed it without problems. I didn't find anything that changed yet, not even the Android security patch level, so I guess it's mainly about the fix for the backdoor? No cover display update this time, either.

As nobody has written about it here yet and it's also still not mentioned on the support website, I'm beginning to feel a bit strange, though. Did anybody else receive the update, or does anybody know more about it?

I have Android build number Cosmo-9.0-Planet-01182020-V19 now.

plutopants

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 03:28:37 am »
Quote from: zottel
I received an update yesterday and installed it without problems. I didn't find anything that changed yet, not even the Android security patch level, so I guess it's mainly about the fix for the backdoor? No cover display update this time, either.

As nobody has written about it here yet and it's also still not mentioned on the support website, I'm beginning to feel a bit strange, though. Did anybody else receive the update, or does anybody know more about it?

Yes, I got the WiFi update yesterday too.

I am not worried - just a maintenance update, which I was expecting considering the recent holes identified.

I suspect another larger update will follow eventually. I think you may be right assuming it's to cover the backdoor.
But...
A bit of reassurance from someone at Planet might be a good idea, considering how negative one or two individuals are apparently being, especially in the Indigogo website - a situation which does not seem to be solving itself yet.

Here's hoping we get updated by @PC swiftly to avoid any unnecessary confusion.
Still holding faith in my Planet Gemini and Cosmo, in the memory of dear old Psion.

Vistaus

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 06:06:32 am »
@plutopants Planet commented yesterday on IGG that they will push a CoDi update tomorrow (Monday), so I expect a campaign update tomorrow with a changelog for both the firmware and CoDi update.

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
    • http://
Firmware update
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 07:02:40 am »
The IGG negativity has died down a lot since devices started seriously shipping beyond Japan.  It's mostly down to around half a dozen people now, who do seem to have been left at the back of the queue for some reason.

I've had mine since late November, and I have to say I love it.  It's an excellent device.

Elevennails

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 07:44:48 am »
Quote from: zottel

I also had the update yesterday. The only change I think I can see is that I don't appear to be able to get to the recover boot menu. It now seems to go into safe mode instead.

Power on <esc> fingerprint toggle <button> down. Unless I'm doing this wrong. I'm sure I used to get a recovery menu.

Was hoping. To be able to resize partitions ready for debian. So I can start using the driod partition without worrying about reinstallimg or loosing my driod data later. Guess I'll have to be more patient

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
Firmware update
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 08:07:16 am »
Quote from: Elevennails
Was hoping. To be able to resize partitions ready for debian. So I can start using the driod partition without worrying about reinstallimg or loosing my driod data later. Guess I'll have to be more patient
Also waiting for the partition tool to perform a "real" setup, for the same reason Might be there soon.

PNuT

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 08:54:35 am »
I resized mine earlier!

FN+ESC+ Right side of rocker switch to get the recovery menu

zottel

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 02:26:45 pm »
I just found out that changing volume on a BT device now changes the volume in Android, too. That didn't work correctly before. I hope that also means that there will be no BT stuttering anymore.

eicosateroid

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 03:17:29 pm »
What I could see is that the Cover Display is way quicker regarding response time and these random quirks like display stuck, indicates no WiFi but there is WiFi,  etc. (have all been reported already, nothing new) are completely gone now. It just works flawless. And also, but that is a very far fetched assumption, the scroll experience in Android feels smoother. Maybe my mind makes it up or other updates to my rice are the reason. But since this morning it has been a more refined experience.

CoDi:
V1.1.1.12
Build:
Cosmo-9.0-01182020-V19
Bustom Build Version:
alps-mp-p0.mp1-V5.117
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 03:21:22 pm by eicosateroid »
Best,
eicosateroid

Current daily drivers: Cosmo Communicator, HP x2 1012 G1 (W10/Arch, dual boot), custom PC Ryzen 2700X, Vega 56 (W10/macOS/CentOS, triple boot)
Previous daily drivers: Moto Z2 Force, Dell XT3 + GTX 1050 Ti eGPU (EC)

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 03:35:20 pm »
Oooh.  You seem to be right about the CoDi being more responsive.  I hadn't noticed; it's been almost unusable for me.

It'll be interesting to see what the update to that brings, allegedly tomorrow.

Elevennails

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 06:30:57 pm »
Quote from: PNuT
I resized mine earlier!

Thanks PNuT that worked I've resized  at least I can use Droid now  hopefully the debian img will come soon

Here's how i did it

From Off.

ESC (poweron) + rear rocker (top... volume up). Let go of power when Planet logo displays.

Driod pic on it's back. With Red triangle warning. Words "No Command" in really small letters underneath

Now

Fn+ESC+Rear rocker (Volume up)

Now we are in the recovery menu. Resize away

mithrandir

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 07:11:42 pm »
Quote from: Elevennails
I resized mine earlier!

Thanks PNuT that worked I've resized  at least I can use Droid now  hopefully the debian img will come soon

Here's how i did it

From Off.

ESC (poweron) + rear rocker (top... volume up). Let go of power when Planet logo displays.

Driod pic on it's back. With Red triangle warning. Words "No Command" in really small letters underneath

Now

Fn+ESC+Rear rocker (Volume up)

Now we are in the recovery menu. Resize away

Well, this way we get to a menu allowing to repartition. It says all data will be lost. So I aborted for now, since I don't know how to reinstall the OS afterwards (without downloadable images). Any hints on how to get at least Android up again after repartitioning? Or don't we loose the OS with the resize?

PNuT

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 10:30:44 pm »
Quote from: mithrandir
Well, this way we get to a menu allowing to repartition. It says all data will be lost. So I aborted for now, since I don't know how to reinstall the OS afterwards (without downloadable images). Any hints on how to get at least Android up again after repartitioning? Or don't we loose the OS with the resize?

Mine just performed a factory reset with no need to reinstall android.

mithrandir

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 03:49:34 am »
Quote from: mithrandir

Mine just performed a factory reset with no need to reinstall android.
Thx. This is the information I have been seeking for. So this evening I can start setting up droid properly.

Rod The DBA

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 12:22:01 pm »
My Cosmo isn't finding a new firmware update, it found and upgraded the CODI firmware but not the main one.

It's currently on version Cosmo-9.0-Planet-10292019-V15 and CODI version V1.1.1.12.

Does anyone know if Planet have a download to manually upgrade? I've had a look http://support.planetcom.co.uk but can't see anything.

I love the Cosmo it's a great evolution over the Gemini.