Author Topic: Firmware update  (Read 11135 times)

vldmr

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 12:48:51 pm »
Quote from: Rod The DBA
My Cosmo isn't finding a new firmware update, it found and upgraded the CODI firmware but not the main one.

It's currently on version Cosmo-9.0-Planet-10292019-V15 and CODI version V1.1.1.12.

Does anyone know if Planet have a download to manually upgrade? I've had a look http://support.planetcom.co.uk but can't see anything.

I love the Cosmo it's a great evolution over the Gemini.
CODI and firmware upgrade are managed by different applications. Firmware is accessed through Settings>System>Advanced. If yours does not show available update, maybe itis not made available foryour region? Where are you located?

Rod The DBA

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 12:57:13 pm »
Quote from: vldmr
Quote from: Rod The DBA
My Cosmo isn't finding a new firmware update, it found and upgraded the CODI firmware but not the main one.

It's currently on version Cosmo-9.0-Planet-10292019-V15 and CODI version V1.1.1.12.

Does anyone know if Planet have a download to manually upgrade? I've had a look http://support.planetcom.co.uk but can't see anything.

I love the Cosmo it's a great evolution over the Gemini.
CODI and firmware upgrade are managed by different applications. Firmware is accessed through Settings>System>Advanced. If yours does not show available update, maybe itis not made available foryour region? Where are you located?

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm in the UK.

When I go to Settings>System>Advanced>Wireless Update I get the spinner for a second or two and then the message no updates available pops up at the bottom of the screen for a few seconds.

PNuT

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 01:04:05 pm »
My CODI just updated but it appears to be the same number as before  

Elevennails

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 02:27:02 pm »
Quote from: mithrandir
Quote from: Elevennails
Quote from: PNuT
I resized mine earlier!

FN+ESC+ Right side of rocker switch to get the recovery menu

Thanks PNuT that worked I've resized  at least I can use Droid now  hopefully the debian img will come soon

Here's how i did it

From Off.

ESC (poweron) + rear rocker (top... volume up). Let go of power when Planet logo displays.

Driod pic on it's back. With Red triangle warning. Words "No Command" in really small letters underneath

Now

Fn+ESC+Rear rocker (Volume up)

Now we are in the recovery menu. Resize away

Well, this way we get to a menu allowing to repartition. It says all data will be lost. So I aborted for now, since I don't know how to reinstall the OS afterwards (without downloadable images). Any hints on how to get at least Android up again after repartitioning? Or don't we loose the OS with the resize?

Sorry yes the repartition will delete all your user data. But not the os. Be same as a factory reset. So you'll have to reinstall all your apps.

vldmr

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 09:05:10 pm »
My cosmo only showed that CODI update is available about an hour ago. Starting update resulted in immediate failure, after which I restarted device, turned off notifications and switched to airplane mode (after downloading update). After that flashing resources worked from first attempt taking about half an hour, but flushing firmware image failed quickly, and kept failing for another three times before final success. Well, half success, because assistant application reported that CODI was not responding, and several resets did not help to convince it otherwise, although CODI itself appeared to be fully functional and showed new version V1.1.1.13. After closing and then unlocking device the assistant finally returned to its senses and showed green operational state and correct version.

Besides new version in settings I have not noticed any changes. I tried starting navigation in google maps, but there were nothing new on cover display during navigation, just usual notification.

Update 5 minutes later
My bad, was not careful enough: the maps notification has command "Show navigation", selecting which results in showing navigation instruction on CODI. So it works, although I am not sure I would use it over the actual map display shown on main screen even in locked state.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 09:21:00 pm by vldmr »

jakfish

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2020, 06:08:04 pm »
Can confirm vldmr's difficulties and ultimate solutions to the CODI flash. I had the phone in normal state, which downloaded and installed the larger resource image without complaint, but the firmware only downloaded, then crashed until I went to Airplane mode.

Haven't played yet with the Map option, but I am having trouble with Waze flipping out and suddenly thinking I'm on a different road ("In 500 feet, hang a U-turn" when I'm on a ring road). Can't tell if that's Waze, the C's GPS, or T-Mobile. But I did not have these issues with the Gemini/Waze/T-Mobile.

Jake
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 07:13:43 pm by jakfish »

spook

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2020, 11:38:24 pm »
Quote from: jakfish
Haven't played yet with the Map option, but I am having trouble with Waze flipping out and suddenly thinking I'm on a different road ("In 500 feet, hang a U-turn" when I'm on a ring road). Can't tell if that's Waze, the C's GPS, or T-Mobile. But I did not have these issues with the Gemini/Waze/T-Mobile.

I wonder if it is related to the compass being disabled? I have wondered how good navigation is on the Cosmo with no inbuilt compass...

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2020, 02:32:45 pm »
Quote from: spook

I wonder if it is related to the compass being disabled? I have wondered how good navigation is on the Cosmo with no inbuilt compass...

Compass is disabled?

Mine works, although it seems to need calibration.

jakfish

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2020, 09:38:25 am »
>> Mine works, although it seems to need calibration <<  Could you explain how one goes about calibrating?

And can I assume that the disabled compass can not be enabled? I hadn't realized this was an issue until I found this:

https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=34829

As a gps, the Cosmo is useless so far, if not a little dangerous. Not only does it suddenly decide that it's on a different road, but it will often freeze.

I'll try Google Maps and see if that's any better, though I like the police and speed monitoring of Waze.

Jkae

TomJ

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2020, 11:35:03 am »
The cover display doing directions has allowed me to use it with my bike; it wasn't really feasible to have it open in the map pouch of my handlebar bag, but while turn directions aren't as useful as a map display they do allow for reasonable road navigation.  I imagine it is also somewhat less power intensive than having a bigger display on.  What, do all y'all think, is the feasibility of getting a map shown on the cover display?

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2020, 12:56:42 pm »
>> Mine works, although it seems to need calibration <<  Could you explain how one goes about calibrating?

As a gps, the Cosmo is useless so far, if not a little dangerous. Not only does it suddenly decide that it's on a different road, but it will often freeze.

I'll try Google Maps and see if that's any better, though I like the police and speed monitoring of Waze.

I'm actually not sure about compass calibration, as I've never had consistent success with this (on any Android device I've owned).

Some sensor apps have a calibrator function but I'm not sure if it applies globally or is just local to the app.

Google Maps recommends some sort of 3-D figure-8 movement so that it sees how all the axes of the magnetometer vary but I've never gotten that to work well.

I have a couple of sensor apps (AndroSensor, My Sensors) that show the magnetometer and Google Maps uses compass -- it can orient the map to your direction, and there is the blue arc thing as well.  
NOTE if you are moving well enough for GPS to detect your orientation by your direction of movement, Google Maps uses that instead of the compass.

My experience with the GPS so far has been fine, though I've only used Google Maps to check it, and only a few times while walking and driving.

Both Google Maps and Waze (it seems; I've not used this app) seem to "lock" you to the nearest path.  This sounds like what your Waze is doing when it suddenly decides you're on a different road.

It might be worth trying your GPS in another mapping app like OruxMaps which doesn't do that.  It just draws whatever map you choose to download as image data and then draws your track overtop without any of those underlying smarts that Google Maps and Waze are doing.

jakfish

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2020, 01:48:37 pm »
Thank you for a very helpful post. You've explained aspects of the C's hardware that I hadn't known anything about.

Nor was I aware of the OruxMaps app. I'll explore that if I can't use Google Maps effectively.

Again, I appreciate the time you took,
Jake

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2020, 03:47:49 pm »
> Nor was I aware of the OruxMaps app. I'll explore that if I can't use Google Maps effectively.

Off-topic, OruxMaps is good for hiking and such, as it is designed for offline, has a bunch of different map sources available including terrain ones, and you can even DIY make maps from e.g. paper if you're crazy enough.

In this context I suggested it just as a way to see what the GPS is doing without any of that lock-you-to-nearest-road/path behaviour that Google Maps and Waze do.

> Again, I appreciate the time you took,

I'm glad I was able to contribute and give back something here.

TomJ

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2020, 06:43:01 pm »
Is it just for me, or has the latest update stopped the keyboard controls for the kb backlight from working?

spook

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2020, 09:48:02 pm »
Quote from: TomJ
Is it just for me, or has the latest update stopped the keyboard controls for the kb backlight from working?

Just checked. They are still working for me. Shift+Fn+N or B