Author Topic: Firmware update  (Read 11071 times)

spook

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2020, 10:15:55 pm »
Quote from: NormMonkey
Mine works, although it seems to need calibration.

I downloaded a few compass apps and tried them. It seems like the compass is enabled, but all over the place due to the magnets in the shell. So I'd say pretty useless... That's presumably why they turned it off on the Gemini.

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2020, 11:41:03 am »
> I downloaded a few compass apps and tried them. It seems like the compass is enabled, but all over the place due to the magnets in the shell. So I'd say pretty useless... That's presumably why they turned it off on the Gemini.

In Google Maps my orientation is pretty accurate.

I also installed the "GPS Status and Toolbox" app which shows not only GPS but also compass, light level, and other sensor data.  Its heading is accurate too.  This is one of the apps that does have a calibration tool.  Instead of Google Maps' 3D figure-8 manoeuvre, this one just asks you to rotate the compass around each axis a couple of times.  I suspect Google's manoeuvre accomplishes pretty much the same thing in a more stylish way.

As you say, when I look at the raw sensor data in AndroSensor or MySensors it doesn't easily map to anything my brain recognizes.  I wonder if this has more to do with the way the 3-axis magnetometer is oriented inside the device and the way I'm holding it in (although GPSStatus also has a good mechanism for showing level via the accelerometer, and it appears "level" is aligned to the upper half of the device.  I assume the magnetometer is on the same PCB if not in the same component ... I suspect the gyrometer, magnetometer and accelerometer are all on one component).  

Since both Google Maps and GPSStatus are giving pretty good data, they are either compensating for the case magnets automatically or the case magnets aren't really a factor.

gabs5807

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2020, 05:51:01 pm »
Hello,
after trying a manually firmware update (described at Planet WebSide my cosmo is dead   .
I search for a new Firmware via cosmo update process but the 'searching ..' window did not end.
So i try to download the two bin files via the cosmo browser, but when the first bin file was downloaded the cosmo tries to install it immediately.

The cosmo then starts a reboot with out success and now it is not possible to start the cosmo.
After poweron there is a short vibration and nothing else.

Is it possible to flush the bin files via computer to the cosmo?
And how can i do this?

Many thanks

gabs5807
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 05:59:36 pm by gabs5807 »
Amongst many other Computers and Phones i'm using a Gemini PDA WIFI+G4 and a Cosmo Communicator both with German keyboard, all with SailfishOS and Debian ;-)

Daniel W

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2020, 06:23:17 pm »
Quote from: spook
It seems like the compass is enabled, but all over the place due to the magnets in the shell. So I'd say pretty useless...
Quote from: NormMonkey
In Google Maps my orientation is pretty accurate. I also installed the "GPS Status and Toolbox" app...
Maybe you're both right. While I know we're a bit OT here, after briefly checking that Google Maps and my compass app of choice from another phone seems to agree with the mentioned "GPS Status and Toolbox", I did some tests with the latter (which I soon bought). The compass moves and is not random, so the sensor IS on, but something is weird. If I calibrate the compass (and pitch and roll), holds the screen reasonably parallel to the ground and points the top of device roughly to where I know north is, the compass seems reasonably accurate and moves fairly swiftly, but the further I turn the top of the device away from North, the greater the error gets, and the slower the compass seems to move (yeah, weird). When I point roughly West, the heading slowly settles on around 330, not 270, so it's about 60 degrees off. When I point roughly East, I slowly get a heading near 30 instead of 90, so it's also about 60 degrees off. When I point South, the North compass really slowly finds its way to a heading near zero, with the North arrow pointing South... Would someone want to share more details on their results (the free version of  "GPS Status and Toolbox" will do fine), perhaps we should move this to another thread. Do notice that speakers and such can have fairly strong magnetic fields, so it's better to be a bit away from... well... everything, outdoors is probably best, but I found a spot in the hallway where an analogue compass and a city map agreed on North (yes, I know I'm capitalizing the cardinal directions wrong - to make them stand out a bit from the rest of my ramblings).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 06:19:08 pm by Daniel W »

ehem

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2020, 12:30:43 am »
Quote from: Daniel W
Maybe you're both right. While I know we're a bit OT here, after briefly checking that Google Maps and my compass app of choice from another phone seems to agree with the mentioned "GPS Status and Toolbox", I did some tests with the latter (which I soon bought). The compass moves and is not random, so the sensor IS on, but something is weird. If I calibrate the compass (and pitch and roll), holds the screen reasonably parallel to the ground and points the top of device roughly to where I know north is, the compass seems reasonably accurate and moves fairly swiftly, but the further I turn the top of the device away from North, the greater the error gets, and the slower the compass seems to move (yeah, weird). When I point roughly West, the heading slowly settles on around 330, not 270, so it's about 60 degrees off. When I point roughly East, I slowly get a heading near 30 instead of 90, so it's also about 60 degrees off. When I point South, the North compass really slowly finds its way to a heading near zero, with the North arrow pointing South... Would someone want to share more details on their results (the free version of  "GPS Status and Toolbox" will do fine), perhaps we should move this to another thread. Do notice that speakers and such can have fairly strong magnetic fields, so it's better to be a bit away from... well... everything, outdoors is probably best, but I found a spot in the hallway where an analogue compass and a city map agreed on North (yes, I know I'm capitalizing the cardinal directions wrong - to make them stand out a bit from the rest of my ramblings).

Thinking about this...  What orientation were you holding your Cosmo in when you tried this?  Was it in keyboard level, typing on flat surface position?  Was it in screen level, doing common Android things position?

What I wonder is where the Cosmo's sensors are on the device?  Some of them might be in the keyboard portion, some of them might be in the screen portion.  If the orientation sensor and magnetometer are in different portions and the sensor handling code doesn't correctly compensate for this things would go wrong.  Potential bug?

drpeter

• View Profile
    • http://
Firmware update
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2020, 02:41:10 am »
Quote from: ehem
Quote from: Daniel W

Thinking about this...  What orientation were you holding your Cosmo in when you tried this?  Was it in keyboard level, typing on flat surface position?  Was it in screen level, doing common Android things position?

What I wonder is where the Cosmo's sensors are on the device?  Some of them might be in the keyboard portion, some of them might be in the screen portion.  If the orientation sensor and magnetometer are in different portions and the sensor handling code doesn't correctly compensate for this things would go wrong.  Potential bug?

I have tried a number of compass apps, all seem to give similar results but do depend on displaying correctly in landscape mode and the keyboard being held level, which seems to be the location of the relevent sensors. Obviously, this is easier when the compass display also shows levelling information, ideally with a 'bubble level' dot or disc on the compass display.  The best I've found so far for this is Digital Compass by Axiomatic Inc, but doubtless there are many similar

Daniel W

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2020, 10:12:15 am »
Quote from: ehem
If the orientation sensor and magnetometer are in different portions and the sensor handling code doesn't correctly compensate for this things would go wrong.  Potential bug?
Sorry for derailing the thread. We'll be done really soon, I hope... Anyway, in case you were asking me in particular, as stated, I held the screen - not the keyboard - parallel to the ground.

My reasoning is that the main PCB (the actual "phone") sits in the lid. As this reasonably is based on a MediaTek reference design, reasonably intended for a plain no-keyboard smartphone, most electronics, including all sensors, are very likely to sit on that PCB. Prototyping photos from when the Cosmo had become a proper smartphone PCB with a bunch of wires for screen, keyboard and power seems to agree.

As holding a "normal" smartphone in a "normal" way, results in its main PCB being somewhat parallel to the ground, that is reasonably what the sensors are optimized for by default. The bottom part, unique to the Cosmo, should mostly just contain the battery, keyboard, a few connectors and the side button. Those are components that, in regular smartphones, tends to be found on various little daughterboards and flex cables. Thus, I doubt that any of the sensors are in the keyboard part (except the battery temperature sensor, which, likely sits inside the battery).

One thing I didn't mention was that, before I calibrated the pitch sensing (the rotation axis parallel to the hinge), it didn't zero when the screen was actually parallel to the ground, but if I had my Cosmo in the opened position on a table and tilted the entire device backwards until the top of the screen touched the table (at which point the screen is slanting slightly backwards) the pitch would read zero. This makes me believe that someone calibrating the sensors was a bit lazy, and didn't care that the screen isn't quite level in that position.

To calibrate mine "properly", I put my device on a flat surface with the display glass down, with enough of the screen off the table so I could poke at the on-screen calibrate button. That seems to get me to within one degree.

Today I tried holding the keyboard parallel to the ground instead and got much "worse" results. When pointing the device North, it really slowly settled on a heading of 270 degrees, and it was off in any other direction I tried too. Recalibrating the pitch to zero when the keyboard is parallel to the ground made NO DIFFERENCE at all, so it seems the pitch and roll are NOT INVOLVED in any compensation at all - not in the GPS Status and toolbox app anyway - but I think it's true for other apps too, as I guess they can't reach the hardware directly and thus has to use what the hardware drivers are saying. Another phone I had seemed to DO such compensation, as the compass would be accurate even with the screen vertical, but the same app on the Cosmo only finds North (and only North) when the screen is flat to within a few degrees.

Thus it seems really important to keep the screen flat to get ANY kind of useful results (I can at least find North that way), so I'd strongly recommend calibrating pitch to zero when the screen is level, to help with that. Then we need to keep telling Planet that compass works consistently, which means it IS reacting to earths magnetic field, just not in the right way.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 04:58:33 pm by Daniel W »

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2020, 01:15:43 pm »
My understanding is that most phone mfgrs source a single component that combines a few 3-axis sensors: magnetometer, accelerometer, gyroscope (might be a hardware-derived measurement instead of a true sensor).  If true then most likely the sensors are all on one component on the phone PCB behind the screen.

How you orient the device shouldn't matter much, either the hardware itself or the phone software should be deriving orientation from a combination of all axes.  Your phone compass should work fine whether you're holding it horizontally in your hand while you hike or you have it mounted vertically in a vehicle, or something in between, landscape or portrait.

@DanielW I didn't test nearly as thoroughly as you did.  I opened Google Maps and verified that the orientation was accurate when I faced north and south and that it tracked well as I spun from north to south.  I did the same in GPSStatus.  I spent maybe 30 seconds all told, just enough to feel satisfied that it wasn't completely crippled and useless.

I'll maybe do some more thorough testing when I get home or sometime this weekend.  It's hella cold outside here so I don't want to goof around with my phone in bare hands outdoors but maybe there's a nice interference free spot in my house.  I can check with my old Samsung.

Probably worth noting that the compass on this Cosmo is doing better than my old Samsung.  I recall noting that the compass reading was poor on my Samsung in Google Maps.  That might just be that specific app storing bad calibration data as I don't recall GPSStatus ever having a problem.

TomJ

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2020, 07:18:06 am »
Quote from: TomJ
Is it just for me, or has the latest update stopped the keyboard controls for the kb backlight from working?

Just checked. They are still working for me. Shift+Fn+N or B

Must have been my inability to hit the right keys in the dark stymieing me there.  However, I am reasonably sure Fn-space for voice assistant and Fn-enter for Phone are no longer working.

drpeter

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2020, 12:39:28 pm »
Is it just for me, or has the latest update stopped the keyboard controls for the kb backlight from working?

Must have been my inability to hit the right keys in the dark stymieing me there.  However, I am reasonably sure Fn-space for voice assistant and Fn-enter for Phone are no longer working.

There is a setting for whether Fn-space activates the voice assistant in Settings>Cosmo settings...

drpeter

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2020, 12:46:35 pm »

There is a setting for whether Fn-space activates the voice assistant in Settings>Cosmo settings...

TomJ

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2020, 04:48:55 am »
Quote from: drpeter

Which makes no difference on my device.

Steve Goodey

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2020, 07:56:10 am »
Quote from: drpeter

Which makes no difference on my device.

But does on mine, but also causes Nova Launcher settings to appear.

(Let's hope the thread police don't see this!)

PJS

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2020, 03:48:18 pm »
Hi all,

OK, I hope we can touch back on the topic of the thread...

It's February 9th and during the week I started getting re-offered the
firmware update with the FOTA tool:

Cosmo-9.0-Planet-01182020-V19
Size:  77.97 MB

It just claimed to download fine to my Cosmo (over wifi) and I'm debating
whether to try installing it.

On one hand, it obviously appears they got their "server configuration"
problem corrected.  On the other hand, folks here have talked about not
wanting to install this update.

Has anyone gotten this update this week and installed it?  Any reports?

Thanks!

PJS

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
Firmware update
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2020, 03:49:58 pm »
I installed that version when it was first offered over wireless the first time.  It works, and is a marked improvement to the V15 image.

I've not attempted to root the thing, and haven't done anything the average Android user wouldn't do, other than, perhaps, install Wireguard and an ssh client.  And SSHelper.  None of which should have any impact on the thing.